Author Topic: Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?  (Read 199072 times)

Placid Dingo

• Deserved It
    • View Profile
    • Me!
Re: Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?
« Reply #2100 on: January 26, 2012, 02:29:44 am »
Nice choices Rum!

The Prince and Cats Cradle are two of my absolute favourites. Bokonism did a lot to shape my own personal brand of Discordia. I remember hearing Richard Kelly was thinking about making a Cats Cradle film.

I'm still reading the Old Testament. Up to Job. Also, Don Quixote.
If sheep entrails could in any way be related to the weather, i.e. sheep trails only originate where it rains, then you could use it as an accurate model for discerning what the weathers going to be like. Either, sheep shit makes it rain, or raining makes sheep shit. Sheep don't shit "randomly" sheep shit after they eat, it doesn't rain "randomly" it rains after water collects in the atmosphere.

Rumckle

• Made damn sure he
  • Deserved It
  • Roaring bowel of the Discordiosphere
    • View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: January 26, 2012, 07:26:29 am »
Yeah, I'm kinda digging Vonnegut's writing style, I may have to get some more of his work once I finish Cat's Cradle. Do you have any suggestions?
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Placid Dingo

• Deserved It
    • View Profile
    • Me!
« Reply #2102 on: January 26, 2012, 09:27:55 am »
Ive only read Cats Cradle but Slaughterhouse Five is meant to be phenomenal.
If sheep entrails could in any way be related to the weather, i.e. sheep trails only originate where it rains, then you could use it as an accurate model for discerning what the weathers going to be like. Either, sheep shit makes it rain, or raining makes sheep shit. Sheep don't shit "randomly" sheep shit after they eat, it doesn't rain "randomly" it rains after water collects in the atmosphere.

Prince Glittersnatch III

• Heir to the throne of King Kong
  • Deserved It
  • Landlord of the Flies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: January 28, 2012, 02:22:57 am »
Just got done reading On Writing and now Im reading The Reactionary Mind.
Im going to have to re-read The Authoritarians after it, they have a very nice synergy.
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506 <---worst human being to ever live.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Other%20Pagan%20Mumbo-Jumbo/discordianism.htm <----Learn the truth behind Discordianism

Glittersnatch would be a rather unfortunate condition, if a halfway decent troll name.

AORTAL SEX MADES MY DICK HARD AS FUCK!

Placid Dingo

• Deserved It
    • View Profile
    • Me!
« Reply #2104 on: January 28, 2012, 03:35:51 am »
By Stephen King? My writing teacher worshipped that book.

Sexy St. Nigel

• Deserved It
  • v=1/3πr2h
    • View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: January 29, 2012, 03:09:24 am »
By Stephen King? My writing teacher worshipped that book.

Best writing book I've ever read. Bar none.
“I’m guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk,” Charles Wick said. “It was very complicated.”

“People get used to anything. The less you think about your oppression, the more your tolerance for it grows. After a while, people just think oppression is the normal state of things. But to become free, you have to be acutely aware of being a slave.”
― Assata Shaku

BadBeast

• BadBeast so totally fucking
  • Deserved It
  • Prefect Priapicus Fukmuk, Lord of the opening I
    • View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: January 30, 2012, 06:31:30 am »
Tacitus. "The Madness of Nero"
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Juana Go?

• Hideous and Otherworldly Attack Duckling of DESPAIR
  • Deserved It
    • View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: January 30, 2012, 06:34:21 am »
A biography of Andrew Jackson called "American Lion" by Jon Mecham
“Call me sentimental, but there’s no-one in the world that I’d like to see get dysentery more than you.” — David Nicholls (One Day)

Reeducation

• Outlandish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: February 01, 2012, 11:38:38 am »
Just read (again) Cosmic Trigger 1-3, Quantum Psychology and Prometheus Rising by RAW.
When I first read these, my english was not so good and things were new and interesting, but now I get the message:
8-circuits in my ass.

It's like when you take psychedelics and you go all WOAH, this is real, but then after a while you understand it's not.

Right now, I'm:   :sad: :eek: :lulz:

And if somebody is offended, I'm sorry, but it's time to wake up. Again.

edit: I never believed that there were 8-circuits or any circuits, but like many I believed I could "use" that model to "improve something". But it's impossible to "use" models, because they do not exist. All you can do, is to spin them around inside your head. That's about it. With every model.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 07:08:45 pm by Reeducation »
I am very calm

Reeducation

• Outlandish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: February 01, 2012, 11:43:25 am »
Now reading Death of an Ordinary Man by Glen Duncan.
It's been a good read so far. On page 100.

It's about this dude who is dead, who then tries to solve what killed him and so on.
I am very calm

LMNO, PhD (life continues)

• Internet Fuckweasel of Haunted Pork Dimensions.
  • Deserved It
  • Internet Fuckweasel of Haunted Pork Dimensions.
    • View Profile
    • Earfatigue Productions: When it has to sound like you give a shit.
« Reply #2110 on: February 01, 2012, 08:22:52 pm »
Just read (again) Cosmic Trigger 1-3, Quantum Psychology and Prometheus Rising by RAW.
When I first read these, my english was not so good and things were new and interesting, but now I get the message:
8-circuits in my ass.

It's like when you take psychedelics and you go all WOAH, this is real, but then after a while you understand it's not.

edit: I never believed that there were 8-circuits or any circuits, but like many I believed I could "use" that model to "improve something". But it's impossible to "use" models, because they do not exist. All you can do, is to spin them around inside your head. That's about it. With every model.

I'd disagree, but you seem like you've made a decision.
LMNO
Pope/Wrought Iron Instigator
First Church of Last Exit Before Toll
The Spider Project.

Buy the Chao te Ching, or be doomed forever.

http://www.stonybrook.edu/sb/marburger/index.shtml

"Get offa me, you freaks!  This is not North Korea.  No.  This is America, and I expect to be PAID for that sort of nonsense.  In advance.  No credit...Cash on the barrelhead or GTFO.  I swear to God, there's nothing more annoying than commie perverts who don't understand the intrinsic value of the free market system."

Cramulus

• Deserved It
    • View Profile
    • Cramul.us
« Reply #2111 on: February 01, 2012, 09:36:34 pm »
8-circuits in my ass.

Shame that you did all that reading and still couldn't figure out how to make use of it.

Brotep

• armpit fart virtuoso
  • Deserved It
  • before Hoteps, except after "C"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: February 01, 2012, 09:39:46 pm »
lol

well said, lmno

Aaaaaaanyway, almost finished with Paul Veyne's Did the Greeks Believe in Their Myths? which tackles its titular question as well as the more general question of what it means to believe in contradictory "programs of truth" simultaneously. Really cool book, do recommend.

Cramulus

• Deserved It
    • View Profile
    • Cramul.us
« Reply #2113 on: February 01, 2012, 09:42:25 pm »
that sounds really interesting.

So tell us - did the Greeks believe their myths?

Brotep

• armpit fart virtuoso
  • Deserved It
  • before Hoteps, except after "C"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: February 01, 2012, 09:51:37 pm »
that sounds really interesting.

So tell us - did the Greeks believe their myths?

Don't want to spoil it--has a surprise ending.

Just kidding. The average Greek would profess belief but be completely weirded out if you told them Athena had just gotten married, because it was implicit to the myths and unconsciously understood by the Greeks that mythic time was different from ordinary time. Typically historians didn't believe in the gods, but they had this notion that utter crap cannot erupt out of nowhere, so if a myth was too fantastic to believe, they would attempt to discern the kernel of truth it was based on. Interestingly, they often still doubted the stories they collected but felt a duty as historiographers to report the tales as they found them. This "objectivity" lent them a peculiar authority.

By the way, happy birthday.