Author Topic: Random News Stories  (Read 446158 times)

Cain

• Alea iacta est
  • Chekha
  • Deserved It
    • View Profile
Re: Random News Stories
« Reply #4320 on: October 19, 2018, 05:23:08 pm »
And that 10% difference between the center and far-right is pretty consistent along the variety of questions.

It's a strong indicator that the centre-right has been radicalised, while the far-right have somewhat moderated their position, for the most part.  That fertile "populist right" ground between the two has seen a lot of cross-pollination over the years, while at the same time the American right, of both varieties, have been forging strong links with their European counterparts.

Incidentally, the UK attitude to immigration has been terrible for decades.  I would argue up until quite recently it has been a lot worse than the US, and it's been fed by decades of tabloid fear-mongering, that since 9/11 has steadily moved into the broadsheet press (Times, Telegraph, sometimes the Guardian or Observer).   Immigration was the wedge issue on which popular anti-EU sentiment was built, as evidenced by the Brexit debate's focus on "taking back control of our border" as opposed to "this will economically ruin us all".

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

• Promotor Fidei
  • Deserved It
  • Behold! The Yellow Sign of Dobbshead
    • View Profile
    • Yiffstar User Profile
« Reply #4321 on: October 19, 2018, 05:43:21 pm »
The world's never going to be right again until people forget 9/11
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Brother Mythos

• Outlandish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4322 on: October 19, 2018, 11:45:53 pm »
Julian Assange sues Ecuador for 'violating his rights'

As per the article:

“The accusations against Ecuador come after a document was leaked earlier this week revealing a new set of house rules Assange must adhere to in London from December 1.

The memo, which was written in Spanish and first published by Ecuadorean website Codigo Vidrio, specifies that Assange must pay for his own expenses like food, medical and laundry, that visitors must have prior authorization, and that he must not only keep the spaces inside the embassy clean, but also take care of his cat. It also reiterates the position that he is not allowed to interfere in any other country's political matters.”

Here's the link: https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/19/uk/julian-assange-ecuador-intl/index.html

I think the idiom “biting the hand that feeds him” still applies, even if Ecuador is going to make Assange “pay for his own expenses like food,” starting December 1.

Doktor Howl

• Вся ваша база принадлежит нам
  • One-Armed Jizz Moppers
  • Deserved It
  • Horrible Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4323 on: October 19, 2018, 11:53:36 pm »
and that he must not only keep the spaces inside the embassy clean, but also take care of his cat.
:lulz:
"Don't get me wrong, I greatly appreciate the fact that you're at least putting effort into sincerely arguing your points. It's an argument I've enjoyed having. It's just that your points are wrong and your reasons for thinking they're right are stupid."
- Cainad

"NOTHING IS AS BAD AS IT SEEMS.  BUT YOU'RE STILL FUCKED."
- Dirty Old Uncle Roger