Author Topic: News Stories Which Highlight the Structure of the System  (Read 26696 times)

Demolition Squid

• Outlandish
  • Bank?! OH SHIIIIIIIIT!
    • View Profile
Re: News Stories Which Highlight the Structure of the System
« Reply #630 on: June 10, 2015, 12:13:57 pm »
And another great one for this thread today.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jun/10/azelle-rodney-met-police-officer-fired-eight-shots-at-close-range-court-told

A Metropolitan police firearms officer murdered a suspect by firing a rapid volley of eight shots from close range, including two that struck the man in the top of his head, a jury has heard.
The jury was told by Hill: “The prosecution say that it was not necessary for Mr Long to open fire upon the Golf and Azelle Rodney. Therefore, we say Mr Long was not acting lawfully when he opened fire.

“That being so, Mr Long’s actions in deliberately killing Azelle Rodney when it was not necessary to do so make Mr Long guilty of murder.”

The prosecutor told the 12 jurors that they would “need to consider very carefully the actions of Mr Long and the events surrounding the moment when he pulled the trigger and opened fire”.

The court heard that a video of the shooting exists because a police officer in a car just behind Long’s vehicle made a recording of the incident for “training purposes”.

The officer who made the video can be heard saying “we’re going in” as police started the manoeuvre to force Rodney’s car to stop.

The shots fired by Long are not captured on the video. But the jury heard the soundtrack captured the eight rapid gunshots.

The officer who was recording the video can be heard saying “sweet as, sweet as,” as the shots are fired. The shots lasted about two seconds, according to the recording.

I don't think there's much I can add to that.
Vast and Roaring Nipplebeast from the Dawn of Soho

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

• Rampaging & Horribly Destructive Beast of Love.
  • Deserved It
  • v=1/3πr2h
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: June 10, 2015, 02:58:07 pm »
And another great one for this thread today.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jun/10/azelle-rodney-met-police-officer-fired-eight-shots-at-close-range-court-told

A Metropolitan police firearms officer murdered a suspect by firing a rapid volley of eight shots from close range, including two that struck the man in the top of his head, a jury has heard.
The jury was told by Hill: “The prosecution say that it was not necessary for Mr Long to open fire upon the Golf and Azelle Rodney. Therefore, we say Mr Long was not acting lawfully when he opened fire.

“That being so, Mr Long’s actions in deliberately killing Azelle Rodney when it was not necessary to do so make Mr Long guilty of murder.”

The prosecutor told the 12 jurors that they would “need to consider very carefully the actions of Mr Long and the events surrounding the moment when he pulled the trigger and opened fire”.

The court heard that a video of the shooting exists because a police officer in a car just behind Long’s vehicle made a recording of the incident for “training purposes”.

The officer who made the video can be heard saying “we’re going in” as police started the manoeuvre to force Rodney’s car to stop.

The shots fired by Long are not captured on the video. But the jury heard the soundtrack captured the eight rapid gunshots.

The officer who was recording the video can be heard saying “sweet as, sweet as,” as the shots are fired. The shots lasted about two seconds, according to the recording.

I don't think there's much I can add to that.

What's different here is that the officer is being prosecuted for murder.

I could be wrong, but I don't recall a past where that was a thing.
“I’m guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk,” Charles Wick said. “It was very complicated.”

“All that goodness, with a frozen chicken in the middle.”
― Doktor Howl, 2014

Demolition Squid

• Outlandish
  • Bank?! OH SHIIIIIIIIT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: June 10, 2015, 03:03:04 pm »
True! That is a positive step.

I just found the training video guy going 'sweet as' as the poor bastard got blown away particularly horrifying - even if he was an armed murderer and it would have been justified, I'd like the police not to be jeering as they gun down criminals.
Vast and Roaring Nipplebeast from the Dawn of Soho

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

• Rampaging & Horribly Destructive Beast of Love.
  • Deserved It
  • v=1/3πr2h
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: June 10, 2015, 03:13:59 pm »

I just found the training video guy going 'sweet as' as the poor bastard got blown away particularly horrifying - even if he was an armed murderer and it would have been justified, I'd like the police not to be jeering as they gun down criminals.

You can tell shit is just wrong as fuck when they're excited about killing people.
“I’m guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk,” Charles Wick said. “It was very complicated.”

“All that goodness, with a frozen chicken in the middle.”
― Doktor Howl, 2014

Rev Thwack

• His Face
  • Deserved It
  • This is the end of a beautiful relationship
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: June 10, 2015, 03:15:02 pm »

You can tell shit is just wrong as fuck when they're excited about killing people.

You'd kind of hope that the people charged with protecting the lives of citizens actually consider those lives to be of value.

You'd hope, but you'd be wrong.
My balls itch...