Author Topic: Loose Time in Fat City, part 4  (Read 1750 times)

Doktor Howl

• TUCSON RAIDER
  • One-Armed Jizz Moppers
  • Deserved It
  • TUCSON RAIDER
    • View Profile
Re: Loose Time in Fat City, part 4
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2012, 05:35:12 pm »
"One of the most interesting things about loose time is that, while it gives you a good look at the past, it can also give you a few insights about the future."

Why?

Shall I just repost the entire piece for you special, or just tell you to read more than the first sentence?
"Man, there's nothin' to do in this stupid town rope swing's busted, stinking cops always kicking me out of the park manager of the 7-11 always says "get off my curb you good for nothing" all the girls already know I'm a bad kisser so they don't come anywhere near me I don't know how many times I've been to TGIF a kid can eat an onion bloom only so many times bowling's boring, the skating rink's been taken over by 12 year olds there ain't no good movies out, blockbuster never has any good games in I don't want to play Bombad Racing, I mean what the heck is that? I'm sick of all my records and every time I walk into a record store, I forget what I want to get and their ain't nothing on TV, not a stupid thing! There ain't nothing to do 'cept take naps and wait patiently for death!"
- Brak

Sexy St. Nigel

• Deserved It
  • v=1/3πr2h
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2012, 08:33:51 pm »
This is a fucking brilliant piece... I missed it last year.
“I’m guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk,” Charles Wick said. “It was very complicated.”

“People get used to anything. The less you think about your oppression, the more your tolerance for it grows. After a while, people just think oppression is the normal state of things. But to become free, you have to be acutely aware of being a slave.”
― Assata Shaku

Tiddleywomp Cockletit

• La Mano Famosa del Infierno
  • Deserved It
  • Interweb Horrormonkey of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2012, 08:18:03 pm »
Crushingly accurate analysis, if the public's education of marketing/memetics remains at a constant (which I am unreasonably optimistic it won't).

Also:
Jerry Pournelle insists that peace is a fallacy that we develop because there are sometimes interludes between wars.

Damn.   :x

Education won't help, because advertisers have gotten smarter.  Previously, they shoved the images into your face blatantly (bikini-clad hotties draped over cars, etc).  Now they try to get you to mostly tune out the commercial, and let repetition do its job.  You don't even really listen, so you don't analyze.  You just, over time, begin to associate "Bluebell Ice Cream" with simpler, less-stressful times.  This forms an emotional - rather than an intellectual - bond between you and the product.

If the ads or packaging features fields, sunshine, trees, kids jumping into swimming holes and/or drinking lemonade with grandpa while sitting on haybales, front porches, rocking chairs, contented animals, smiling animals, hand-stitched quilts, horse-drawn carts, or guys in overalls, it usually came from either a lab or a feedlot.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division