Author Topic: Collected Intermittens in print?  (Read 5968 times)

tyrannosaurus vex

• a gas giant of idiots
  • Deserved It
    • View Profile
Re: Collected Intermittens in print?
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2012, 11:17:37 pm »
Seriously?

If money changes hands somewhere for somebody, what does it matter? Are you going to get rich either way? Are they going to get rich? Even if they do, who fucking cares? Do the ideas in Intermittens deserve to be gagged and bound, and kept out of any kind of public light just because some printer somewhere made five cents? Is money that important?

If something as awesome as Intermittens is going to be hamstrung and kept in the eternal broom closet of PD because somebody's going to get all "where's MY slice" over the ten fucking cents this thing burns in profit to LuLu, then there's probably no hope for Discordia. I'd consider whatever profit a service like LuLu makes to be no more than a slight friction in the process of a work like Intermittens moving from the digital to the tangible. A completely acceptable, expected, and hardly noticed friction.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Placid Dingo

• Deserved It
    • View Profile
    • Me!
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2012, 12:35:51 am »
Pretty sure I made it clear that I'm down with this going ahead.

I do want to check in with the girl who made my cover.
If sheep entrails could in any way be related to the weather, i.e. sheep trails only originate where it rains, then you could use it as an accurate model for discerning what the weathers going to be like. Either, sheep shit makes it rain, or raining makes sheep shit. Sheep don't shit "randomly" sheep shit after they eat, it doesn't rain "randomly" it rains after water collects in the atmosphere.

tyrannosaurus vex

• a gas giant of idiots
  • Deserved It
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2012, 12:39:55 am »
Don't mind me, I'm grumpy because I have to get up at 3AM and go to Utah tomorrow.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Freeky

• Can't breathe anymore.
  • Deserved It
  • wat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2012, 03:05:29 am »
Don't mind me, I'm grumpy because I have to get up at 3AM and go to Utah tomorrow.

I'm pretty sure Utah would make anyone grumpy.  That's why there are Mormons.
If someone does the “Fine, you’re right, I’m clearly a terrible person, I’m Satan, I’m the worst person alive, I should just die” thing in response to criticism of their harmful behavior, they are trying to manipulate people and flip the situation around so that they look like a victim.

As a neuroscientist I have to disagree with the perception that anyone is doing mathematical modeling of cognitive intelligence, yet; intelligence as an economist defines it, yes, but economists are worlds away from actual cognition.

Although it is outside the purview of this organization to offer personal advice, we can say -- without assuming any liability -- that previous experience indicates (and recent market studies corroborate) that given the present condition of the marketplace, continuing with your present course of action is likely to result in substantial in

The Good Reverend Roger

• Horrible Bastard
  • One-Armed Jizz Moppers
  • Deserved It
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2012, 01:58:10 pm »
If I provide content, generally, (I'm down with this project) I'll be pretty pissed is ANYONE makes money. Including Lulu. And as far as I'm concerned Lulu's profits from printing my content, is Lulu's profit from my content. So I don't think 'Its Intermittens so it's sure to be OK' is a forgone conclusion.

Lulu is making a profit off of the service of printing the book.  You could pay them to print the phone book, it would cost the same, page per page.  Note the subtle difference.

But okay, let's play that game.  Why the fuck not?  Why accomplish anything?

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

• Horrible Bastard
  • One-Armed Jizz Moppers
  • Deserved It
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2012, 01:58:41 pm »

Bullshit.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

• Horrible Bastard
  • One-Armed Jizz Moppers
  • Deserved It
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2012, 01:59:33 pm »
If something as awesome as Intermittens is going to be hamstrung and kept in the eternal broom closet of PD because somebody's going to get all "where's MY slice" over the ten fucking cents this thing burns in profit to LuLu, then there's probably no hope for Discordia. I'd consider whatever profit a service like LuLu makes to be no more than a slight friction in the process of a work like Intermittens moving from the digital to the tangible. A completely acceptable, expected, and hardly noticed friction.

If you print it yourself, the toner company makes money!

STOP WHORING OUT PD!

The Good Reverend Roger

• Horrible Bastard
  • One-Armed Jizz Moppers
  • Deserved It
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2012, 02:11:15 pm »
Let's just get this straight, so everyone understands:

Collecting a newsletter-style thing we did into one volume is bad, because printing companies charge for their services, even though we had all agreed that the previous work could be distributed as long as the editor or whomever didn't use it to make money.

Because it would really suck if this sort of thing allowed Discordia to creep out of our little club.

Placid Dingo

• Deserved It
    • View Profile
    • Me!
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2012, 02:11:32 pm »
If I provide content, generally, (I'm down with this project) I'll be pretty pissed is ANYONE makes money. Including Lulu. And as far as I'm concerned Lulu's profits from printing my content, is Lulu's profit from my content. So I don't think 'Its Intermittens so it's sure to be OK' is a forgone conclusion.

Lulu is making a profit off of the service of printing the book.  You could pay them to print the phone book, it would cost the same, page per page.  Note the subtle difference.

look, if I wrote a story and you printed it on lulu, it takes away my ability to make money from selling it myself. Cory Doctorow writes stuff under a Creative Commons non commercial license. If you print his work out at cost on Lulu I will bet you anything that his publishers response won't be ' all good yo, they're making money from printing, not writing.'

If sheep entrails could in any way be related to the weather, i.e. sheep trails only originate where it rains, then you could use it as an accurate model for discerning what the weathers going to be like. Either, sheep shit makes it rain, or raining makes sheep shit. Sheep don't shit "randomly" sheep shit after they eat, it doesn't rain "randomly" it rains after water collects in the atmosphere.

LMNO

• Lubricated and Rabid Lungfish of Impending Sexdoom™
  • Deserved It
  • Internet Fuckweasel of Haunted Pork Dimensions.
    • View Profile
    • Earfatigue Productions: When it has to sound like you give a shit.
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2012, 02:12:26 pm »
Aaaaand another good PD idea crashes and burns.

THANKS A LOT, OBAMA RON PAUL!

LMNO

• Lubricated and Rabid Lungfish of Impending Sexdoom™
  • Deserved It
  • Internet Fuckweasel of Haunted Pork Dimensions.
    • View Profile
    • Earfatigue Productions: When it has to sound like you give a shit.
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2012, 02:14:29 pm »
Dear Placid Dingo,

A certain number of people desire a well-bound, dead-tree collection of Intermittens.  A solution was devised.  You are against it.

Please let us know what a proper solution for you would be, given the desired parameters.

Faust

• Tyrannical Overlord
  • Deserved It
  • The Greasy Strangler
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2012, 02:15:27 pm »
Got the all clear from CU

Placid Dingo

• Deserved It
    • View Profile
    • Me!
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2012, 02:16:02 pm »

Bullshit.

Mmm. In retrospect " I'm down with this project" was pretty ambiguous. I may have sounded like I was saying I'm desirous of tearing down this project. Not in fact my intended implication.

The Good Reverend Roger

• Horrible Bastard
  • One-Armed Jizz Moppers
  • Deserved It
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2012, 02:16:53 pm »

look, if I wrote a story and you printed it on lulu, it takes away my ability to make money from selling it myself. Cory Doctorow writes stuff under a Creative Commons non commercial license. If you print his work out at cost on Lulu I will bet you anything that his publishers response won't be ' all good yo, they're making money from printing, not writing.'

No, it fucking doesn't.  Lulu holds no copyright, and you can set your copyrights as you see fit. 

But you've made your point.  We should probably take all the intermittens down now, right?  I mean, they're right there, and anyone can read/download them, so you won't be able to sell the work in question, as it is offered for free.

So, yeah.  No more cooperative works, as it either becomes "I own your shit now", or "We can't actually do anything with anything", and there's nothing in between.

The Good Reverend Roger

• Horrible Bastard
  • One-Armed Jizz Moppers
  • Deserved It
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2012, 02:18:37 pm »

Bullshit.

Mmm. In retrospect " I'm down with this project" was pretty ambiguous. I may have sounded like I was saying I'm desirous of tearing down this project. Not in fact my intended implication.

That's not how I read it.

How I read it was "Don't do this unless you manage to personally contact everyone involved, which is fucking impossible at this point", despite the fact that everyone had already voluntarily put their stuff in intermittens and this is merely a collection of intermittens.