Principia Discordia > RPG Ghetto

So a buddy of mine wants to run an all-magic campaign in Pathfinder...

(1/5) > >>

President Television:
And right off the bat, he's talking about removing all the daily spell limits. And I'm like no, dude, just give us wands. Make them cheap. Apply the price adjustment that you'd apply to firearms in a Guns Everywhere setting and you're golden. Look, I have Ultimate Combat right here. 10%. There you go.
And then he starts going off about how maybe I'm right, but continues to kind of miss the point. He's like, "Maybe the battle mages have magic items that are kind of like wands, but they recharge every day and you can change which spells are stored in them." And I say no, you're underestimating wands. They'll do just fine.
And then it occurs to me that in a setting where everyone's a spellcaster, the schools of Illusion and Enchantment are almost completely useless. Conversely, spells that require Fortitude or Reflex saves are overpowered.

Is it worth trying to balance, or should I write off the idea altogether?

Don Coyote:
I say join the game and break the shit out of it until he breaks down sobbing and tell him, "And this is why I said I what I did."

President Television:

--- Quote from: Guru Qu1x073 on September 01, 2012, 05:15:24 pm ---I say join the game and break the shit out of it until he breaks down sobbing and tell him, "And this is why I said I what I did."

--- End quote ---
I'm thinking I'll be a Summoner. That way, I have an effective means of taking advantage of everyone else's physical weakness, and my high Charisma score will help with Use Magic Device, meaning I can just use wands for the offensive spells my class doesn't grant me.

The Good Reverend Roger:

--- Quote from: Uncle Wallified on September 01, 2012, 05:12:15 pm ---And right off the bat, he's talking about removing all the daily spell limits. And I'm like no, dude, just give us wands. Make them cheap. Apply the price adjustment that you'd apply to firearms in a Guns Everywhere setting and you're golden. Look, I have Ultimate Combat right here. 10%. There you go.
And then he starts going off about how maybe I'm right, but continues to kind of miss the point. He's like, "Maybe the battle mages have magic items that are kind of like wands, but they recharge every day and you can change which spells are stored in them." And I say no, you're underestimating wands. They'll do just fine.
And then it occurs to me that in a setting where everyone's a spellcaster, the schools of Illusion and Enchantment are almost completely useless. Conversely, spells that require Fortitude or Reflex saves are overpowered.

Is it worth trying to balance, or should I write off the idea altogether?

--- End quote ---

I'd write it off.  It's a gimmick, and those usually exist to cover a lack of actual plot.

Freeky Queen of DERP:
That sounds like an awful idea.  Everyone has unlimited magic capability?  Really? 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version