Author Topic: Good article that details exactly why the bitcoin is a pyramid scheme  (Read 32127 times)

Faust

• Tyrannical Overlord
  • Deserved It
  • The Greasy Strangler
    • View Profile
Re: Good article that details exactly why the bitcoin is a pyramid scheme
« Reply #300 on: September 24, 2014, 01:14:06 pm »
Such wasted processing power when it could be used for important things such as brute force hacking wifi passwords... alternately, i recall some playstation thingy that clouded processing power for some kindof research and modelling, anyone remember?

There's several:
SETI (Probably less useful than bitcoin, but I'd prefer people waste CPU time with SETI than bitcoin)

and Foldit which had an excellent track record, most notably this:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/09/110918144955.htm

Faust

• Tyrannical Overlord
  • Deserved It
  • The Greasy Strangler
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: September 24, 2014, 01:19:08 pm »
I don't know about that...but allegedly Hezbollah used Playstation 3 processors to act as guidance systems in their more sophisticated rockets.

That seems a sensible and efficient use of processing power.  And quite impressive, given how terrible the PS3 can be.

It makes sense, even with sophisticated algorythms to reduce calculations you are still going to need a strong processor to crunch the calculations.

Whatever about the the PS3 Hardware is still incredibly powerful. The problems with console gaming comes from optimization.
For consoles the games are optimized well before release (as bad initial sales are worse on consoles than pc), and then slow patches that are often entirely overlooked.

On PC you can have disastrous launches and patch the fuck out of it every day if needs be and as time goes by the game becomes more and more stable. Consoles tend to reach a certain point where updates are abandoned much faster than PC games.

Cain

• Alea iacta est
  • Chekha
  • Deserved It
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: September 24, 2014, 01:34:55 pm »
True, I was just thinking of some of the infamous bugs reported on some of the game forums I played.  Like the infamous "no more than 8 enemies spawning" problems.

Which the US military should take full advantage of.  9 pieces of chaff will totally fry those missiles, at least until they upgrade to PS4

Faust

• Tyrannical Overlord
  • Deserved It
  • The Greasy Strangler
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: September 24, 2014, 01:44:37 pm »
True, I was just thinking of some of the infamous bugs reported on some of the game forums I played.  Like the infamous "no more than 8 enemies spawning" problems.

Which the US military should take full advantage of.  9 pieces of chaff will totally fry those missiles, at least until they upgrade to PS4

It's entirely down to the game optimization, Hitman blood money is nearly a decade old now and it rendered an entire Mardi Gras parade with floats and hundreds of NPC's.

It was meant to be difficult to design for though because of the weird architecture, so it would be very easy for rendering/spawning/etc bugs to creep in.