Author Topic: Unified Vidya Games thread  (Read 64391 times)

Cain

• Alea iacta est
  • Chekha
  • Deserved It
    • View Profile
Re: Unified Vidya Games thread
« Reply #690 on: June 11, 2018, 12:12:44 pm »
It is, and yes, I'm not sure how well Bethesda will handle that.  ESO did give us some new Khajiti lore which wasn't entirely terrible, and could figure into a game plot quite easily...but I'm not sure how well Bethesda will handle a non-human, non-mer centered game.  Personally I think Valenwood would've been boring, possibly after spending hours grinding my way through those zones in ESO and wanting to die every step of the way, but between the well established lore, the lack of VA issues and the potential for a Thalmor-Empire proxy war, it seemed like an obvious option.  Same for Hammerfell, only even more so.

It's also possible I'm completely wrong.  I shied away from it being Summerset Isle because of the mountains and arid landscape, but a lot can change in a thousand years, and Summerset was hit hard by the Oblivion Crisis.  Equally, it could be the coast of Valenwood...but I think if it were they would focus far more heavily on the forest theme.  I mean, the game's Valenwood, so gotta show the woods themselves, right? Hammerfell...eh, if it was the Craglorn region, maybe, as there are some quite fertile areas around there, it does actually strongly remind me of the region around Dragonstar, but it's landlocked.   Doesn't look at all like High Rock, I very much doubt they'd go back to Morrowind...it could maybe be Black Marsh, as we don't really see the coastal regions of it in ESO, only the northern region of Stormhold, on the Morrowind border. 

Or maybe they're actually going to break with tradition and do something genuinely new with TESVI.  Yokuda, Atmora, Thras...Akavir?  I highly doubt it, but anything's possible.

So yeah, my guesses in order of preference are Elseweyr, Black Marsh and Valenwood.  One thing they did say is that they were waiting for the technology to make certain things possible that they wanted to do with TESVI, which I think had everyone thinking Valenwood (walking tree cities).  But maybe they wanted it for something else.

Cramulus

• Deserved It
    • View Profile
    • Cramul.us
« Reply #691 on: June 11, 2018, 01:56:12 pm »
 :eek: they finally announced it???

:googles: THEY FINALLY ANNOUNCED IT

Cain

• Alea iacta est
  • Chekha
  • Deserved It
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: June 11, 2018, 03:50:49 pm »
Now enjoy hearing nothing for the next 12 months  :lol:

Cain

• Alea iacta est
  • Chekha
  • Deserved It
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: June 11, 2018, 05:01:57 pm »
Also, lots of people seem to think it is Hammerfell, but maybe Hammerfell/Orsinium/High Rock.  That would be my preference, both for storyline reasons (continuing the Thalmor/Empire conflict...hopefully with the possibility of taking either side) and for lore reasons.  If the main character is or becomes a Sword-singer, that would be a really good replacement for the Dragonborn Thuum system.  Given the turmoil in Hammerfell, it is also possible that the player would be an avatar of HoonDing, in which case...shit's going to get real. 

Cain

• Alea iacta est
  • Chekha
  • Deserved It
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: June 12, 2018, 10:25:58 am »
All that said, Assassins Creed: Odyssey may be pretty exciting too. 

Looks like Ubisoft are going full on Bioware with regards to RPG elements, including multiple branching questlines with differing outcomes, multiple choice dialogue options and even romances.  Stealth gameplay is being improved from Origins, quests can be much more open-ended in how they are dealt with ("this guy owes me money, deal with it"...so either kill him, intimidate him or steal what is owed) and a world system where the player's actions affect the balance of power in Greece between Sparta and Athens, spread across 27 different states.

No doubt they'll find some way to fuck it all up, it is Ubisoft after all, but it looks very interesting.  Plus, you know, Ancient Greece. 

Faust

• Tyrannical Overlord
  • Deserved It
  • The Greasy Strangler
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: June 12, 2018, 10:55:23 am »
The series peaked for me with black flag because the sailing and piracy part of the game was incredibly well done. In fact it felt like an amazing pirate game with assassins just tacked on.
If they keep some of the sailing for the Mediterranean and evolve the series concept with an RPG structure (like bioware) that will be definitely be something worth checking out.
May you find your worth in the waking world

Cain

• Alea iacta est
  • Chekha
  • Deserved It
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: June 12, 2018, 11:50:32 am »
Apparently you're going to get your own ship, which will be highly customizable, and you'll be able to select from the in-game characters to crew it.

Faust

• Tyrannical Overlord
  • Deserved It
  • The Greasy Strangler
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: June 12, 2018, 12:24:46 pm »
So Assassins own Normandy crew. I hope they have the romance options like Mass Effect... or to a lesser extent saints row 4, which literally just had a button "Romance" that you could use on Keith David.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6p3B4e_8PY
May you find your worth in the waking world

Junkenstein

• Technically-Oriented & Horribly Mobile Crecy of Crab Lice.
  • Deserved It
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: June 12, 2018, 07:42:30 pm »
It is, and yes, I'm not sure how well Bethesda will handle that.  ESO did give us some new Khajiti lore which wasn't entirely terrible, and could figure into a game plot quite easily...but I'm not sure how well Bethesda will handle a non-human, non-mer centered game.  Personally I think Valenwood would've been boring, possibly after spending hours grinding my way through those zones in ESO and wanting to die every step of the way, but between the well established lore, the lack of VA issues and the potential for a Thalmor-Empire proxy war, it seemed like an obvious option.  Same for Hammerfell, only even more so.

It's also possible I'm completely wrong.  I shied away from it being Summerset Isle because of the mountains and arid landscape, but a lot can change in a thousand years, and Summerset was hit hard by the Oblivion Crisis.  Equally, it could be the coast of Valenwood...but I think if it were they would focus far more heavily on the forest theme.  I mean, the game's Valenwood, so gotta show the woods themselves, right? Hammerfell...eh, if it was the Craglorn region, maybe, as there are some quite fertile areas around there, it does actually strongly remind me of the region around Dragonstar, but it's landlocked.   Doesn't look at all like High Rock, I very much doubt they'd go back to Morrowind...it could maybe be Black Marsh, as we don't really see the coastal regions of it in ESO, only the northern region of Stormhold, on the Morrowind border. 

Or maybe they're actually going to break with tradition and do something genuinely new with TESVI.  Yokuda, Atmora, Thras...Akavir?  I highly doubt it, but anything's possible.

So yeah, my guesses in order of preference are Elseweyr, Black Marsh and Valenwood.  One thing they did say is that they were waiting for the technology to make certain things possible that they wanted to do with TESVI, which I think had everyone thinking Valenwood (walking tree cities).  But maybe they wanted it for something else.

Akavir would be a fantastic setting but there is no fucking way that they'll risk a AAA budget on it.

Half a euro on Black Marsh, seem to remember something about a domain being registered that implied that, which was how Skyrim was initially confirmed.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

• Alea iacta est
  • Chekha
  • Deserved It
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: June 12, 2018, 09:35:16 pm »
I remember hearing in the final days of when Skyrim was still being supported, that "Hammerfell" had been trademarked by Bethesda, and there was some minor speculation that this would be the next DLC after Dragonborn.  Obviously that wasn't the case, but since then, I've always suspected...

Also a more plausible thing they could do with Akavir would be a third Akaviri invasion.  Doesn't matter where, the Akaviri Navy has attacked all over northern Tamriel, and could plausibly land in Black Marsh as well.  Or it could even take place in the remote Padomaic Ocean islands, like Cathnoquey and Esroniet.  You could tie it indirectly back into Skyrim's storyline - that the Akaviri heard about the return of the dragons, and launched a punitive expedition to wipe them out, only turning to conquest/some other motive once they realised the Dragonborn did it all for them already.  And by not having it take place in Akavir itself, you still preserve some of the mystery.

Edit: hell, they could look at the state of Tamriel and decide the best thing to do is take over and restore the Potentates...giving the Thalmor and Empire (and everyone else, Morrowind/Black Marsh/potentially independent Skyrim/Daggerfall Convenant II a reason to put aside their squabbles and face a common threat).
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 09:40:29 pm by Cain »