Author Topic: The Biology Thread  (Read 15298 times)

Nephew Twiddleton

• Deserved It
  • DEATH METAL ENGLISH
    • View Profile
Re: The Biology Thread
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2014, 05:06:30 am »
So you're working with Brassica, which, we both know that we both know is broccoli/cabbage, but I'm going to look up that specific species. I don't know B. raba.
Steely-Eyed Replicant Frottage Master of Yesterday's Lost Glory
Sentence or sentence fragment pending[/size]

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

• v=1/3πr2h
  • Deserved It
  • The sky tastes like red exuberance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2014, 05:09:26 am »
I kind of hate how fast quarters move. I mean, it's readysetGOGOGOGOGO oh god OK take three weeks off.
“I’m guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk,” Charles Wick said. “It was very complicated.”

Nephew Twiddleton

• Deserved It
  • DEATH METAL ENGLISH
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2014, 05:09:36 am »
So you're working with Brassica, which, we both know that we both know is broccoli/cabbage, but I'm going to look up that specific species. I don't know B. raba.

Turnip.

Nigel, stop blowing my mind.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

• v=1/3πr2h
  • Deserved It
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2014, 05:18:03 am »

Turnip.

Nigel, stop blowing my mind.

:lulz:
“I’m guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk,” Charles Wick said. “It was very complicated.”

Nephew Twiddleton

• Deserved It
  • DEATH METAL ENGLISH
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2014, 05:18:37 am »
I kind of hate how fast quarters move. I mean, it's readysetGOGOGOGOGO oh god OK take three weeks off.

I actually appreciated the whole month I had off.

I probably would have lost my mind.

And Villager and I went on vacation last weekend on the understanding that it was, "oh god, this science thing is happening, isn't it? And I'm not going to be very free for a while!" Which is even weirder because we both already work in science as grunts (Villager has a bachelor's in history, but is working as an admin/research assistant in sleep medicine NEXT DOOR TO MY PLACE OF EMPLOYMENT) and well, my gig, but going, heh).  Yeah, I want to be a scientist and never a history teacher. And oddly, I'm gunning for the science, but Villager is not, as a scientist, even though she is a published scientific author (you may ask me for her name to read her articles, if you are a well established PDer).

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

• v=1/3πr2h
  • Deserved It
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2014, 05:21:08 am »
So I am seriously considering taking geology for my 12 elective science credits. Just because I fucking love rocks. I'm supposed to take something that supports my area of interest, which would realistically be biochemistry, but I feel so fucking fried out on the micro shit already. I want to take geology.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

• v=1/3πr2h
  • Deserved It
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2014, 05:22:22 am »

And Villager and I went on vacation last weekend on the understanding that it was, "oh god, this science thing is happening, isn't it? And I'm not going to be very free for a while!" Which is even weirder because we both already work in science as grunts (Villager has a bachelor's in history, but is working as an admin/research assistant in sleep medicine NEXT DOOR TO MY PLACE OF EMPLOYMENT) and well, my gig, but going, heh).  Yeah, I want to be a scientist and never a history teacher. And oddly, I'm gunning for the science, but Villager is not, as a scientist, even though she is a published scientific author (you may ask me for her name to read her articles, if you are a well established PDer).

I'd be interested in looking at her research, I love sleep disorders!

Nephew Twiddleton

• Deserved It
  • DEATH METAL ENGLISH
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2014, 05:31:18 am »
So I am seriously considering taking geology for my 12 elective science credits. Just because I fucking love rocks. I'm supposed to take something that supports my area of interest, which would realistically be biochemistry, but I feel so fucking fried out on the micro shit already. I want to take geology.

I finished up my science requirements in History with Astronomy, knowing full well that I was transferring to Biology. I loved that class. Given my druthers I would actually be an astrophysicist. But a combination of job opportunities in New England skewing towards biology, lack of good seeing in the city and the fact that biology is just as interesting and a better career choice...

It's kinda like the rock star thing. I dunno. My interest in science has always been, well, stellar.

But life is just as enthralling, and more challenging.

Nephew Twiddleton

• Deserved It
  • DEATH METAL ENGLISH
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2014, 05:31:55 am »

I'd be interested in looking at her research, I love sleep disorders!

Will go to google scholar, brb

Nephew Twiddleton

• Deserved It
  • DEATH METAL ENGLISH
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2014, 05:37:42 am »
One thing that I will take comfort in:

My Last Name as a scientist will signal me out immediately. Apparently Villager's last name is more scientifically attested than I expected.

Nephew Twiddleton

• Deserved It
  • DEATH METAL ENGLISH
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2014, 05:39:59 am »
Made more difficult by the fact that there is a published scientist with Villager first initial middle initial last name that was published before I was born. And I'm 3 years older than her.

Nephew Twiddleton

• Deserved It
  • DEATH METAL ENGLISH
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2014, 05:43:01 am »
Bam. Got it. PI is a good thing to throw in. 3 articles incoming.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

• v=1/3πr2h
  • Deserved It
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2014, 07:35:19 am »
Awesome, thanks!

Nephew Twiddleton

• Deserved It
  • DEATH METAL ENGLISH
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2014, 07:41:51 am »
Awesome, thanks!

I should probably read them too.

Twid,
Bad boyfriend

Nephew Twiddleton

• Deserved It
  • DEATH METAL ENGLISH
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2014, 04:53:53 am »
Ok, so we got Drosophilae messed up on ether, examined their sexual dimorphism and put them in an incubator for breeding purposes. Well we were supposed to brush in 8 to 10 breeding pairs. But sometimes it doesn't work like that. I had like 6 males and a bunch of females, and a few had died and were at the bottom of the nutrient medium. And of course, because this was my first time doping fruitflies I accidentally killed a few, which percentage wise worked out to be a good chunk of the males.

At least 3 males survived. I expect larvae on Tuesday.

This was a dry run, with only F1 Wild Type, for practice. Two fruitflies revived and flew off. Meh. Some of them were reviving after I transferred to the breeding vial so I put them in the morgue vial (which to the casual observer is exactly what it sounds like. It's a vial full of dead fruitflies and ethanol).

Also ether smells horrible, like 117.3 sharpies opened at once in an enclosed area.