Author Topic: Academia Ghetto Thread  (Read 49683 times)

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

• v=1/3πr2h
  • Deserved It
  • The sky tastes like red exuberance.
    • View Profile
Re: Academia Ghetto Thread
« Reply #1005 on: June 08, 2017, 12:58:48 am »
Thanks! I'm particularly happy about staying in the lab in the interim. I don't want to lose momentum.

Yeah, that's really awesome! Will he take you as a grad student? More relevant question; do you want to do your grad work in his lab?

Yep, we had discussed the possibility of me coming in as a PhD student, but he's eying retirement, but he said he's happy to take me on as a master's student. I'm probably going to continue to follow up on my senior thesis and related stuff either way, so I definitely want to work in his lab, can worry about the PhD in another year or so. When I was doing my poster presentation I was talking with my microbiology TA and she asked me what my interests were. When I said the overlap of microbiology, virology, genomics, and evolution, she said, "yeah, that's Mike. That's definitely Mike."

Very cool.
“I’m guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk,” Charles Wick said. “It was very complicated.”

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

• v=1/3πr2h
  • Deserved It
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: June 10, 2017, 04:07:57 pm »
I taught my last class of the term and formally accepted my RAship for the summer. I'm excited because 50 hours a week is so much less than I've been working, but also kind of bummed because technically I'm only supposed to be working 15 hours a week and my advisor is formally violating university policy and State and possibly Federal law by demanding that I work 3x the hours I'm being paid for.
“I’m guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk,” Charles Wick said. “It was very complicated.”

Nephew Twiddleton

• Deserved It
  • DEATH METAL ENGLISH
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: June 12, 2017, 01:34:35 pm »
I taught my last class of the term and formally accepted my RAship for the summer. I'm excited because 50 hours a week is so much less than I've been working, but also kind of bummed because technically I'm only supposed to be working 15 hours a week and my advisor is formally violating university policy and State and possibly Federal law by demanding that I work 3x the hours I'm being paid for.

Whoa
Steely-Eyed Replicant Frottage Master of Yesterday's Lost Glory
Sentence or sentence fragment pending[/size]

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

• v=1/3πr2h
  • Deserved It
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: June 12, 2017, 07:31:40 pm »

Whoa

Yeah, in fact I just looked at my contract again, and I am approved at 57.5 hours PER MONTH. I'm not enrolled in any credits this summer either, so it's not like I'm working to earn credits. I'm just  flat-out being illegally exploited, but it's a time-honored tradition and I'm not sure there's anything I can do about it without derailing my program.