Author Topic: UK General Election 8th June: Shake it all about?  (Read 34122 times)

Vanadium Gryllz

• Outlandish
    • View Profile
Re: UK General Election 8th June: Shake it all about?
« Reply #870 on: December 06, 2017, 02:22:53 pm »
Impact assessments? Who needs 'em?
"I was fine until my skin came off.  I'm never going to South Attelboro again."

Faust

• Tyrannical Overlord
  • Deserved It
  • The Greasy Strangler
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: December 06, 2017, 02:30:38 pm »
That was a chilling revelation.
Does it indicate willful arrogance, or that they know doing those impact studies will all return "Nothing good can come of this"

Cain

• Alea iacta est
  • Chekha
  • Deserved It
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: December 06, 2017, 02:41:21 pm »
Funny how the Tories were able to use the sectoral analysis to assess the impact of leaving, but no-one else is allowed to see the analysis to make their own assessments.

Faust

• Tyrannical Overlord
  • Deserved It
  • The Greasy Strangler
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: December 06, 2017, 02:47:07 pm »
If people push hard enough, campaign to find out where those recommendations and figures came from, what the Tories have been basing all this on, a freedom of information request will eventually lead to the Tory chamber of secrets, held pristine under a glass dome, is a pawed photo of a bus that says they will get 350 million on the side of it.

Cain

• Alea iacta est
  • Chekha
  • Deserved It
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: December 06, 2017, 04:47:00 pm »
According to a senior civil servant who has seen over half of the sector analyses, the government decided not to bother with doing impact assessments because it would be too much work.

Faust

• Tyrannical Overlord
  • Deserved It
  • The Greasy Strangler
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: December 07, 2017, 09:33:21 am »
According to a senior civil servant who has seen over half of the sector analyses, the government decided not to bother with doing impact assessments because it would be too much work.

Is that because the sector analyses are so rough that it was safe to assume what the impact assessments would say, or was it that no sector analysis was done at all?

Cain

• Alea iacta est
  • Chekha
  • Deserved It
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: December 07, 2017, 11:17:14 am »
I think basically all the sector analyses said because of the large volume of trade with the EU there would definitely be an impact, but the government claims because of the large number of variables in outcome it would be impossible to say what this impact would be.

Which I think is pretty much bullshit.  You have 5 ranges of potential outcome: what you want, what you think the EU wants (keep this classified, of course), what would happen if the UK stayed in the EU, what would happen if the UK stayed in the EEA and what happens if we crash out without a deal at all.  Doesn't cover all possible outcomes of course, but it covers the most likely and gives a broad idea of economic impact.

Faust

• Tyrannical Overlord
  • Deserved It
  • The Greasy Strangler
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: December 07, 2017, 11:39:25 am »
It would at least put a concrete figure on [MONEY IN] from the EU and [MONEY OUT] and show if there is a net gain or loss from subsidies. That wouldn't even be a hard one to put together.