News:

PD.com: "a rather irritating form of hermetic terrorism".

Main Menu

More developments in the bicycle lanes

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, May 18, 2015, 05:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Perhaps a few of you remember a couple of years ago, when I posted about an unwitting motorist getting stuck in the bike lane on Williams while trying to turn right, and getting screamed at by a bicyclist who refused to move when the light turned green, based on some principle of which apparently only he (and MMIX, who proceeded to inform me that I was wrong about the whole incident based entirely on looking at the street on Google Earth) were aware?

Well, in the ongoing saga of bike lane development here in Portland, the city has resolved that issue by simply moving the bike lane to the LEFT side of the street, and making it a combined bike/turn lane.

Which of course, is perfectly safe and makes all the sense in the world [/sarcasm].

It has certainly gone some way toward cutting down on bike traffic on Williams and Vancouver, by virtue of making those former bicycle thoroughfares absolutely fucking terrifying.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

MMIX

Lol, No. What I actually said was that the idiot cyclist was probably bitching to all his on-line connections about this woman who bawled him out on a junction when he was patently in the right. I then had a fun evening walking around the junction on google earth because i'd never really tried it before, but if you prefer your version, no harm no foul.

I tried to pm this but apparently you still have me on ignore

ETA Which just goes to prove that I really am the idiot I was always told I was.

Quotefor those of you watching in black and white Spurs are in the all-yellow strip
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 18, 2015, 06:36:05 PM
She won't see you here, either, MMIX.

Am I wrong about the place I live again? :lol:

Guess it'll have to remain a mystery.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

MMIX

"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Doktor Howl

Nigel, it occurs to me that people can have any number of separate and conflicting notions about Portland, and ALL of them are WRONG.

Because your city is WRONG.  It's bad.  It has not had its scheduled maintenance, and Resumption of Normal Service is not even up for discussion.  Any belief you have about your city is based on information that changes constantly, as more and more things break down.

That being said, outsiders are obviously even MORE wrong, on account of observing Portland changes it...And Portland changes the OBSERVER.  If you gaze too long into the microbrewery, it gazes back and then you're drinking shit American beer and calling it good.

Also, you're Nigel, so you have to be wrong, just as I must be a jerk and Cain must be Macheavellan.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 18, 2015, 09:00:46 PM
Nigel, it occurs to me that people can have any number of separate and conflicting notions about Portland, and ALL of them are WRONG.

Because your city is WRONG.  It's bad.  It has not had its scheduled maintenance, and Resumption of Normal Service is not even up for discussion.  Any belief you have about your city is based on information that changes constantly, as more and more things break down.

That being said, outsiders are obviously even MORE wrong, on account of observing Portland changes it...And Portland changes the OBSERVER.  If you gaze too long into the microbrewery, it gazes back and then you're drinking shit American beer and calling it good.

Also, you're Nigel, so you have to be wrong, just as I must be a jerk and Cain must be Macheavellan.

I'm the wrong kind of people, all rolled into one.

But for the love of all that's wrong, I just hope I can make it to South Water today without the streetcar derailing or the power going out. For once.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 19, 2015, 03:49:02 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 18, 2015, 09:00:46 PM

I'm the wrong kind of people, all rolled into one.

But for the love of all that's wrong, I just hope I can make it to South Water today without the streetcar derailing or the power going out. For once.

Philip K Dick novels look like fucking Horatio Alger, after Portland. 
Molon Lube