News:

PD.com: Worse than that time when I conjured a handkerchief from that deaf kid's ear.

Main Menu

Seamstress Speak

Started by Suu, February 02, 2009, 07:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

YAY! You've taken your first step into a larger world.  :mrgreen:
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

LMNO

...a world of broken needles, tangled thread and bloodied fingertips...

Suu

Quote from: LMNO on February 09, 2009, 08:37:49 PM
...a world of broken needles, tangled thread and bloodied fingertips...

You learn to get over that fast.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

LMNO

...says the machine-hurling seamstress...

Suu

IF I HAD A REAL FUCKING MACHINE INSTEAD OF A TINY HOUSEHOLD SINGER THIS SHIT WOULDN'T HAPPEN !  :argh!: :argh!: :argh!:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

If you can find a 70's vintage Singer, White, Kenmore, or other common American brand for cheap at a garage sale/thrift store/Craigslist, odds are great that you can take it to a service center and get it purring like a kitten for under $100. Parts for those brands are inexpensive and easy to come by, and they're cheaper to have tuned up.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Raphaella

OH MY FUCKING GOD!! I JUST SNAPPED A NEEDLE IN MAH MACHINE AND IT SCARED THE LIVING SHIT OUT OF ME!!!
:omg:

I hate putting in zippers! I had it set to stop with the needle down and I must have shifted the fabric, bent the needle and then tried to sew cause FUUUUUUUUUUCK, it broke.  :cry: I have a few more, but shit this is kinda scary, I still have not found the tip that broke off.
The sun shall be turned to darkness and the moon into blood before the coming of the great and terrible OZ

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I hate when that happens!

Doing zippers is not so bad if you have a good zipper foot. You might want to go to a sewing center and compare your zipper foot with others there.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Suu

Quote from: Sanguine Penguin on February 11, 2009, 10:17:07 AM
OH MY FUCKING GOD!! I JUST SNAPPED A NEEDLE IN MAH MACHINE AND IT SCARED THE LIVING SHIT OUT OF ME!!!
:omg:

I hate putting in zippers! I had it set to stop with the needle down and I must have shifted the fabric, bent the needle and then tried to sew cause FUUUUUUUUUUCK, it broke.  :cry: I have a few more, but shit this is kinda scary, I still have not found the tip that broke off.

Check the bobbin casing. Yank the guts out and put it all back in.

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

my beginner sewing class is tomorrow  :x
im afraid of the machine

Raphaella

I have a few good zipper feet but I still hates them. (the zippers I mean.) My teacher love the zipper foot it's self. She recommended using it all the time. I find it comes in handy when you are doing under stitching, or anything where you have to get really close to an edge. 

I don't know if the needle hit a zipper tooth, or if I bent it and it snapped on the feed dog plate thing. My bobbin was conveniently empty at the time of the breakage as well. I think it was a set up to be honest. 

There is no need to be afraid of the machine, I have been sewing for years and this it the first time this has happened.
The sun shall be turned to darkness and the moon into blood before the coming of the great and terrible OZ

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

GUISE GUISE I SURVIVED CLASS!!!!
i made a neon orange pillow case and stitched fun turquoise leaf thingers on it lolz
and i didnt stitch my fingers!!!!!  :fap:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Ham Fondling Skeet Twizzler!!! on February 13, 2009, 01:56:35 AM
GUISE GUISE I SURVIVED CLASS!!!!
i made a neon orange pillow case and stitched fun turquoise leaf thingers on it lolz
and i didnt stitch my fingers!!!!!  :fap:

GOOD JOB!!!

Suu

See? That wasn't so bad, was it?

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

however she confused the shit outta me when trying to explain notches in patterns and anything to do with patterns actually   :? :? :?