News:

Endorsement: "I would highly suggest that you steer clear of this website at all costs and disconnect yourself from all affiliation with those involved."

Main Menu

Anyone got a good Ragu recipe? Not that shit in a jar.....

Started by Dysfunctional Cunt, August 26, 2011, 05:18:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dysfunctional Cunt

I have a decent beef Ragu recipe, but I saw this one online for pork and I wondered if anyone else made it and what you used.....

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Braised-Pork-Ragu/Detail.aspx?ms=1&prop25=65949891&prop26=DailyDish&prop27=2011-08-25&prop28=DailyRecipe&prop29=FullRecipe&me=1

Ingredients
2 pounds pork shoulder roast, cut into cubes
1 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves, crumbled
1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 carrot, peeled and diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup dry red wine
1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 cup chicken stock

Directions

1.Season pork with the rosemary, thyme, pepper, and salt. Heat oil in a large large Dutch over over medium-high heat. Sear pork in the hot oil until well browned on all sides, about 10 minutes.

2.Stir onion and carrot into pot; cook until onion is soft, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.

3.Pour in the wine; stir, scraping the bottom of the pot to release any browned bits from the bottom. Stir in the tomatoes and stock. Bring to a simmer; cook until meat is very tender and the sauce has thickened, about 30 minutes.

LMNO

Here's mine:

In a pan, heat olive oil and butter together over low heat with a sprinkle of red pepper flakes.  Melt a couple of anchovies over low heat until the smell becomes nutty and pleasant. Add a diced onion and cook until golden brown. Add a pound of Italian pork sausage (minus the casing, i.e. loose) and raise the heat to high, until the sausage is very browned and crispy.  Add minced garlic, and cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute.

Add a cup of white wine, stir to deglaze the pan, and allow it to evaporate completely.  Add a cup of milk, a half-cup of chicken stock (stock, not broth), a Tb of tomato paste, and reduce heat to low.  Season to taste, and simmer for 15 minutes.

Cook pasta al dente.  Add a splash of the leftover cooking water to the ragu if it's getting too "tight".  Add pasta to ragu, toss to combine.  Serve with fresh basil and/or Parmigiano-Reggiano.

Dysfunctional Cunt

That sounds delicious,  I've never done Ragu with ground meat or sausage.  Thanks LMNO!!!