News:

Licenced Jenkem provider since 2007

Main Menu

Random thought before falling asleep

Started by LMNO, May 11, 2015, 04:13:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

"The eyes are the most superficial organ."

They only see the surface, don't capture the entire truth, and are manipulated by whatever psychology is lurking in the brain.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on May 11, 2015, 04:13:01 AM
"The eyes are the most superficial organ."

They only see the surface, don't capture the entire truth, and are manipulated by whatever psychology is lurking in the brain.

Hmmm.

I could see this working as a metaphor perhaps, is that what you're going for?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

I'm really not sure where I was going with that -- Maybe something about taking things at face value, fundamental attribution error... Though I suppose the argument could be made that pretty much any primary natural detectors we have (ears, skin, etc) only record what's immediately there, and even that's limited information.  The second step is obviously thought.

Like I said, I was falling asleep when I wrote that.

Eater of Clowns

I don't necessarily agree with it, but it is an interesting thought.

It's amazing that we're at a point where it's not something that can be wholly dismissed. We've created a society where the blind can live with reasonable expectation of comfort, safety, and success. The fact that we're even intellectually capable of distrusting one of the most important evolutionary tools of our survival is a pretty neat thought.  :)
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Doktor Howl

I had a random thought before going to sleep, too.

"What if Lord Marlborough had a section of M60 machine guns?"
Molon Lube

POFP

OP: Sounds like a more complex interpretation of Korzybski's Structural Differential. It's more complex due to the linguistic interpretation you gave, which is what the SD explains.

Semantics is funny. When you talk about Semantics concepts, you get yourself into logic-loops. I can't tell if that means it's fundamentally accurate, or fundamentally incomplete ("It" being Korzybski's perspective on Semantics).
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Battering Rams not included.

The Wizard Joseph

Sometimes things just sound cool and don't have to get the brain much more involved than to dimly note that. <- me also about to fade for the night.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl