News:

We can't help you...in fact, we're part of the problem.

Main Menu

Something Monstrous.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, September 06, 2013, 08:40:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/09/06/20353287-human-rights-group-thousands-of-n-korean-prisoners-disappeared-from-gulag?lite

"And maybe the old songs
Will bring back the old times
Maybe the old lines will sound new"
\
:elvis:

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Can we go back to shitting on RWHN instead? I don't like this future.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on September 06, 2013, 08:43:41 PM

That isn't the future.  That's the past, re-running in syndication.  It comes on once or twice a century.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 06, 2013, 08:46:15 PM

That isn't the future.  That's the past, re-running in syndication.  It comes on once or twice a century.

I was told we were going to have post-scarcity and robots, not re-runs.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on September 06, 2013, 08:50:19 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 06, 2013, 08:46:15 PM

I was told we were going to have post-scarcity and robots, not re-runs.

Well, there's new TV shows, but lots of channels play old stuff.

But I don't see the allies coming to kick this shit back into it's grave.  So maybe it is kinda new.

The Good Reverend Roger

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 06, 2013, 08:40:33 PM
http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/09/06/20353287-human-rights-group-thousands-of-n-korean-prisoners-disappeared-from-gulag?lite

"And maybe the old songs
\

I posted about this quite a few months ago. Nobody gave a fuck then, I doubt anything's changed.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Facemeat on September 06, 2013, 10:03:00 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 06, 2013, 08:40:33 PM

"And maybe the old songs
\

I posted about this quite a few months ago. Nobody gave a fuck then, I doubt anything's changed.

I think I missed it on the board, but I remember talking to you about something like this.

And nobody gave a shit where all the Jews and Gypsies went in the 30s-40s, either.

So, you know...

LET'S ALL GET UP AND DANCE TO A SONG
THAT WAS A HIT BEFORE YOUR MOTHER WAS BORN

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I am eerily reminded of the Khmer Rouge. "Hey guys, I keep hearing that things are getting really terrible in Cambodia, they marched everyone out of the cities and are making them work in fields, and they put thousands of people on barges and set them into the ocean without food to starve to death."

"What? Oh that's just terrible. Pass the salt."

Afterwards: Everyone was outraged, how could all this have been going on and nobody ever knew?

It was bullshit. We all knew. We all knew all along.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

QuoteDespite its deposal, the Khmer Rouge retained its UN seat, which was occupied by Thiounn Prasith, an old compatriot of Pol Pot and Ieng Sary from their student days in Paris, and one of the 21 attendees at the 1960 KPRP Second Congress. The seat was retained under the name "Democratic Kampuchea" until 1982, and then "Coalition Government of Democratic Kampuchea" (see below) until 1993. Western governments repeatedly backed the Khmer Rouge in the U.N. and voted in favour of retaining Cambodia's seat in the organization. Margaret Thatcher stated that "So, you'll find that the more reasonable ones of the Khmer Rouge will have to play some part in the future government, but only a minority part. I share your utter horror that these terrible things went on in Kampuchea."[46] Sweden on the contrary changed its vote in the U.N. and withdrew support for the Khmer Rouge after a large number of Swedish citizens wrote letters to their elected representatives demanding a policy change towards Pol Pot's regime.[47]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khmer_Rouge

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Facemeat on September 06, 2013, 10:10:12 PM
I am eerily reminded of the Khmer Rouge. "Hey guys, I keep hearing that things are getting really terrible in Cambodia, they marched everyone out of the cities and are making them work in fields, and they put thousands of people on barges and set them into the ocean without food to starve to death."

"What? Oh that's just terrible. Pass the salt."

Afterwards: Everyone was outraged, how could all this have been going on and nobody ever knew?

It was bullshit. We all knew. We all knew all along.

There were rumors in WWII, among the troops.  Now, bear in mind that these same troops had been through D-Day, the bocage, the Battle of the Bulge, and all manner of other shit.  Not an easily shocked crowd.  But when they overran Buchenwald, they were literally stunned by what they saw.

Edward R Murrow was there, and said:

QuoteI asked to see one of the barracks. It happened to be occupied by Czechoslovaks. When I entered, men crowded around, tried to lift me to their shoulders. They were too weak. Many of them could not get out of bed. I was told that this building had once stabled 80 horses. There were 1,200 men in it, five to a bunk. The stink was beyond all description.

They called the doctor. We inspected his records. There were only names in the little black book, nothing more. Nothing about who these men were, what they had done, or hoped. Behind the names of those who had died, there was a cross. I counted them. They totalled 242. 242 out of 1,200, in one month.

As we walked out into the courtyard, a man fell dead. Two others, they must have been over 60, were crawling toward the latrine. I saw it, but will not describe it

After that, after the holocaust, the single most documented event in history, of course we knew.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Facemeat on September 06, 2013, 10:11:34 PM
QuoteDespite its deposal, the Khmer Rouge retained its UN seat, which was occupied by Thiounn Prasith, an old compatriot of Pol Pot and Ieng Sary from their student days in Paris, and one of the 21 attendees at the 1960 KPRP Second Congress. The seat was retained under the name "Democratic Kampuchea" until 1982, and then "Coalition Government of Democratic Kampuchea" (see below) until 1993. Western governments repeatedly backed the Khmer Rouge in the U.N. and voted in favour of retaining Cambodia's seat in the organization. Margaret Thatcher stated that "So, you'll find that the more reasonable ones of the Khmer Rouge will have to play some part in the future government, but only a minority part. I share your utter horror that these terrible things went on in Kampuchea."[46] Sweden on the contrary changed its vote in the U.N. and withdrew support for the Khmer Rouge after a large number of Swedish citizens wrote letters to their elected representatives demanding a policy change towards Pol Pot's regime.[47]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khmer_Rouge

Thatcher. 

She wanted camps for AIDS victims.

Junkenstein

Don't forget the fondness for Burma too.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Junkenstein on September 06, 2013, 10:25:50 PM
Don't forget the fondness for Burma too.

Well, you know, we don't really want to interfere in cases of mere genocide. It's not like they're using chemical weapons or anything.