News:

Endorsement from MysticWicks: "The most fatuous, manipulative, and venomous people to be found here are all of the discordian genre."

Main Menu

Open Bar: Arguments About Turtles, All the Way Down

Started by Cain, August 09, 2014, 07:29:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Quote from: a somewhat wiser Joe. on October 21, 2014, 02:36:45 PM
Clash of Clans is a most fiendish and addictive time waster. I'm hooked and getting pretty good at it.
It only took me like 10 days of obsessive playing!

Gonna catch up on the scuttlebutt ITT as my day goes on.  I'm at the point where upgrades take 12 hrs to a couple days. Like a war game combined with bonsai. I dig it, but now it's pretty much long term building strategy and occasional raiding fits for wall money.

I'm saving up for my Level 3 dragon upgrade right now. Cost is 3 million elixir. Upgrade time is 10 days.

Eventually the game will force you to be active in your raiding or buy shit. The last two raids on me have cost me 500k elixir. If I just relied on my resource collectors which are all maxed, that would take me 27 hours generate -- exactly as long as I am under shield after those attacks.

Even if you max your defenses, raiders who are bad at math and trophy hunters will readily throw a 250k army to raid you for 200k elixir. Only solution I've found is to try to steal more than I lose.

Back to the fecal matter in the pool

Cain

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 21, 2014, 03:11:49 PM
You are so much more amusing than the Philosophy 101 I'm dealing with.

"Physics is the science of how matter and energy interact. That speaks very little to consciousness, and is still reductionist/rationalist/materialist, which speak even less to consciousness. The physical world (I still don't like calling it "world") may be amplitudes in configuration space as far as you and physics are concerned, but consciousness isn't. Ergo, if your reality is physical in nature, consciousness cannot be reality."

Oh wow, hahah.  Argument through assertion and conflation.  "Consciousness isn't part of reality.  Nothing more to say, reductionist pig."

Doktor Howl

Brand new $4 Mn kiln.

Built under budget.  How did Mike manage this?  Why, he left off inconsequential things like elevated platforms for people to stand on (extension ladders as a routine operations thing, lol) and maintenance rails for the 3 ton carts.

Which has managed to bite us a whole week into running the machine, when 2 "top" operators decided that the procedure was inefficient and decided to load the machine in manual mode.  Not gonna bore you with details, but "manual" turns off all the safeties, and as they overloaded the entrance tracks, the end car fell off the rail, because in manual, the loading traverse cart doesn't automatically return (hence the "manual" part).

So I have been here since 3 AM, first righting the cart, then using a monster fork lift to lift the cart off the tracks and place it on the ground, as there is no maintenance rail to shunt it off onto.  Every single time there is a problem, we will have to rig and lift the carts, which is an inherently hazardous task.

I explained this in the morning staff meeting in terms that made Mike literally weep with rage.  I approve of this.  I shall see if I can ramp it up until the fat useless arrogant bastard strokes the fuck out. 

Hatefully,
Dok
Molon Lube

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 21, 2014, 03:11:49 PM
You are so much more amusing than the Philosophy 101 I'm dealing with.

"Physics is the science of how matter and energy interact. That speaks very little to consciousness, and is still reductionist/rationalist/materialist, which speak even less to consciousness. The physical world (I still don't like calling it "world") may be amplitudes in configuration space as far as you and physics are concerned, but consciousness isn't. Ergo, if your reality is physical in nature, consciousness cannot be reality."

:kingmeh:

I've always found it to be a huge failing of physics that it's not neurology.

-or-

Pics or it didn't happen!

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 21, 2014, 02:59:21 PM
Sadly, the argument is going in the direction of "reality is only perception" and "conciousness is not a physical aspect".

Right this minute, I'd like to feed fuckers like that into the choppy grindy burny machine.

Which is actually a thing.
Molon Lube

LMNO

Plus, he unironically used the word "ergo".  In public.

How is it Mike still has a job, again?

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 21, 2014, 03:20:04 PM
Brand new $4 Mn kiln.

Built under budget.  How did Mike manage this?  Why, he left off inconsequential things like elevated platforms for people to stand on (extension ladders as a routine operations thing, lol) and maintenance rails for the 3 ton carts.

Which has managed to bite us a whole week into running the machine, when 2 "top" operators decided that the procedure was inefficient and decided to load the machine in manual mode.  Not gonna bore you with details, but "manual" turns off all the safeties, and as they overloaded the entrance tracks, the end car fell off the rail, because in manual, the loading traverse cart doesn't automatically return (hence the "manual" part).

So I have been here since 3 AM, first righting the cart, then using a monster fork lift to lift the cart off the tracks and place it on the ground, as there is no maintenance rail to shunt it off onto.  Every single time there is a problem, we will have to rig and lift the carts, which is an inherently hazardous task.

I explained this in the morning staff meeting in terms that made Mike literally weep with rage.  I approve of this.  I shall see if I can ramp it up until the fat useless arrogant bastard strokes the fuck out. 

Hatefully,
Dok

Carts filled with oil?

Cain

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 21, 2014, 03:22:42 PM
Sadly, the argument is going in the direction of "reality is only perception" and "conciousness is not a physical aspect".

Right this minute, I'd like to feed fuckers like that into the choppy grindy burny machine.

But does the choppy grindy burny machine have a consciousness that exists in the "real" world?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on October 21, 2014, 03:24:27 PM
Brand new $4 Mn kiln.

Hatefully,
Dok

Carts filled with oil?

No, carts filled with aluminum oxide.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on October 21, 2014, 03:25:56 PM

But does the choppy grindy burny machine have a consciousness that exists in the "real" world?

Yes.  Yes, it does.

It is a simple machine, and has only one desire.
Molon Lube

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 21, 2014, 03:26:05 PM
Brand new $4 Mn kiln.

Hatefully,
Dok

Carts filled with oil?

I'd say "phew" but it's a small, small "phew". More like a "phew".

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 21, 2014, 03:26:58 PM
Quote from: Cain on October 21, 2014, 03:25:56 PM

Yes.  Yes, it does.

It is a simple machine, and has only one desire.

:lulz:

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Doktor Howl

Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on October 21, 2014, 03:31:03 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 21, 2014, 03:26:05 PM
Brand new $4 Mn kiln.

Hatefully,
Dok

Carts filled with oil?

I'd say "phew" but it's a small, small "phew". More like a "phew".

At least it wrecked on the cold side (room temperature).  On the other side, it's 1475C.
Molon Lube

EK WAFFLR

"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]