News:

Endorsement from MysticWicks: "The most fatuous, manipulative, and venomous people to be found here are all of the discordian genre."

Main Menu

Discordia and Christianity

Started by Paiyaku, October 07, 2008, 04:15:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooplala

Quote from: Paiyaku on October 07, 2008, 04:08:48 PM
So the random things here is not just random babble, it's lingo?

Somewhat.  More than likely its the tale-end of some stale inside joke here.

You'll note I make a lot of jabs about black men raping women, which is not a comment on my racism, it's a comment on someone else's blatant racism.  But, new people tend to not notice the intricacies, and PM me to as why I am a racist fuck.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Paiyaku

Okay, the random phrases are actually part of Discordia? Or is this just something people do here on these forums? I have also seen things on people's profiles like, "The Church of the Last Exit Before Toll." Is this lingo(obviously a name) or is it randomness?

AFK

Quote from: Paiyaku on October 07, 2008, 04:08:48 PM
So the random things here is not just random babble, it's lingo?

Well certainly there is random babble from time to time.  But for my part, it has less to do with being a "Random Discordian" then it has to do with just being stupid sometimes and not having anything "meaningful" to say.  
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Paiyaku on October 07, 2008, 04:15:32 AM
I don't know if this has either been asked before or never asked before, but I'll ask anyways.

Although Discordia is a chaos-based religion. It does have a deity that it's followers hail to and other religious practices. Is it possible for a Christian to enjoy being a Discordian, but not hail to Eris(sorry if mispelled) I don't want to start any rants, debates, or arguements over christianity. I know the majority of people here are pretty random and closer-minded to the god of madness on Oblivion, Sheogorath. I am also like this though. I enjoy random chaos, confusing people and causing complete madness. It's fun, at church to make teens stop putting their backpacks in the hallway all over the floor, I fill their bags with leaves and dirt, sometimes tissues or whatever i can think of.
Anyways, back on topic. Is it possible to be dominantly christian, but still take part of Discordia? No goddess worship. If it's possible to place God instead of Eris or something. If anyone on here can help me out, that would be great.
I have asked this before in the past and got nothing useful. I hope someone can shed some light for me.

I don't feel like reading this whole thread, so I'm going to say what other people in this thread have probably already stated, only more hastily and with less eloquence.

It does have a deity that it's followers hail to and other religious practices. Is it possible for a Christian to enjoy being a Discordian, but not hail to Eris(sorry if mispelled).

Buddy, we're our own worst blasphemers. Fuck Eris, fuck Discordia, and fuck all this Chaos-Order bullshit (<--- See?)
Some of us worship Eris. I've done it once or twice for yuks. There are no real religious rites or practices, and not hailing Eris is as valid a Discordian practice as anything else. You certainly don't need our blessing to be a "Christian Discordian" or what-have-you. There is no Discordian Authority anywhere.

Is it possible to be dominantly christian, but still take part of Discordia? No goddess worship. If it's possible to place God instead of Eris or something.

I dunno, is it possible? My guess is probably, but how about you play around with the idea and see if it works for you? Tell us how it work out.

In conclusion, no one can tell you what Discordia "is all about." Hell, it's damn near impossible to pin down what the more mainstream religions are all about; people have fought wars over that sort of thing. Is Christianity about doing good works and trying to spread compassion, or is it about believing in the power of God and Jesus to redeem our sins? Ask the Catholics and Protestants and see what kind of answers you get.
However, I will tell you that Discordia's one advantage, in my mind, is that it doesn't demand that you figure out what it's "all about," unlike a lot of religions which seem to place great emphasis on believing exactly the right things. But I could be wrong about that, depending on how you see it.

hooplala

Quote from: Paiyaku on October 07, 2008, 04:11:31 PM
Okay, the random phrases are actually part of Discordia? Or is this just something people do here on these forums? I have also seen things on people's profiles like, "The Church of the Last Exit Before Toll." Is this lingo(obviously a name) or is it randomness?

Both. 

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Hoopla on October 07, 2008, 03:38:21 PM
The people who "stick to their guns" no matter what evidence is thrown at them, to me, are the antithesis of Discordian.  

Or are they simply the Podge to balance our Hodge?
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

hooplala

They may balance your Hodge, but I tend to try to balance my Hodge myself.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Paiyaku

Okay, I understand now, i think, lol. My last big question is, how do I know if I'm Discordian or not? (very dumb question, but I ask anyways)

phaedrusthemad

Quote from: Paiyaku on October 07, 2008, 03:17:16 PM
... What is the way of thinking this religion is devoted to? ...

There is no such thing as too much garlic.

hooplala

Quote from: Paiyaku on October 07, 2008, 04:14:57 PM
Okay, I understand now, i think, lol. My last big question is, how do I know if I'm Discordian or not? (very dumb question, but I ask anyways)

The fact that you are questioning at all is a good sign.  As Coleslaw said "the cabbages never even ask".

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Paiyaku

I read, never stop wondering, so here I wonder.

phaedrusthemad

I did not choose.  I was chosen. 

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Paiyaku on October 07, 2008, 03:17:16 PM
... What is the way of thinking this religion is devoted to? ...

LOL, "the Discordian way of thinking."

Is it the REALLY REAL WAY FOR REALNESS?

Quote from: Hoopla on October 07, 2008, 04:15:52 PM

The fact that you are questioning at all is a good sign.  As Coleslaw said "the cabbages never even ask".

Meaning: yes, you are now one of us. There is no going back now. You took the red pill.
Or not.

LMNO

Quote from: Paiyaku on October 07, 2008, 04:11:31 PM

No, it's part of the specific website www.principiadiscordia.com/forum .  Our habits here do not define "Discordian".

Paiyaku

Wow I'm really getting it now. :) I'll be reading the book more later. THanks for the help.
It's what I think it is, it isn't.