News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "I've always, always regarded the Discordians as being people who chose to be Discordians because they can't be arsed to actually do any work to develop a relationship with a specific deity, they were too wishy-washy to choose just one path, and they just want to be a mishmash of everything and not have to work at learning about rituals or traditions or any such thing as that."

Main Menu

Thanksgiving Ideas?

Started by Dysfunctional Cunt, November 14, 2008, 06:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dysfunctional Cunt

The kids and I are eating at a friend's this year and I am scrambling for something different to take.

I am already taking.....

Pecan Pie
Sweet Potatos w/ the marshmellows thing

I need a vegetable idea and maybe a meat alternative...

Thanks!

Iason Ouabache

The obvious answer is Green Bean Casserole.  I can't think of a single Thanksgiving dinner I have been at where it wasn't served.  It's a pretty easy recipe too:

1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
4 cups cooked green beans
1/2 cup milk
1 1/3 cups French fried onions
1/8 teaspoon pepper

Mix the soup, milk and pepper together in a casserole dish. Add all of the green beans and 2/3 cup of the onions. Bake for about 25 minutes at 350 degrees F. Put the rest of the onions on top, bake for another 5 minutes.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Sir Squid Diddimus

cranberries?
not a veg but here's my recipe:

bag of berries
1/2 c orange juice
1/2 c water
1/2 c sugar
cinnamon stick
anise star
couple grates of nutmeg
about 2 orange slices

Bring everything (except berries) to a boil, reduce heat, fish out cinnamon stick, anise and orange slices, add berries cook till they break open and everything is a big sticky mess. Cool completely and serve chilled.

Also
New potatoes and green beans:

some bacon or salt pork
little new potatoes (the wee ones) with a stripe peeled around the orb
fresh green beans w. the stem snapped off and snapped in half
salt, pepper

par boil the potatoes a little and set them aside.
fry the bacon, remove. add green beans to the grease and toss w/ a little bit of water (just enough for a little steam). add salt pepper. when they soften a bit, add potatoes. cook till done.
really easy, really tasty.

that's all i can think of right now

Minxys

As for your meat, settle for no plain turkey. Get a turducken. It's a chicken stuffed in a duck stuffed in a turkey. You can order online or prepare it yourself.

Oh, and about that green bean casserole. PEOPLE EAT THAT??!?!?

My mom and I tried that once because we had always heard of it, but never tasted it. We tried it 3-4 years ago and it was disgusting. Maybe my mom and I are not white enough to properly enjoy casserole, because of all the commercials and references of casseroles I've seen, I haven't seen a black dude eat casserole. Come to think of it, I haven' seen much of anybody eat casserole. But it's in so many dinner commercials and soup can labels, you just have to wonder!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I always wanted to see how it would turn out if I stuffed a turkey with a small ham.

The problem is that I like stuffing SOOO MUCH.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nast

At the risk of sounding profane, you can always cook the stuffing separately as a side dish, and then jam the ham up the bird's hole. It's practically a win-win situation!
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Minxys

How about stuffing stuffed in a chicken cushioned by stuffing stuffed in a duck cushioned by more stuffing stuffed in a turkey cushioned by stuffing stuffed in a pig. Then you stuff a golden apple in the pig's mouth. This pig must be hog tied and laid on a silver platter covered with apple slices spiced with brown sugar and cinnamon, drizzled with honey and garnished with your chouce of lingon and or cranberries, fresh, dried, or jellied. Your choice of course.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Nasturtiums on November 16, 2008, 12:17:35 AM
At the risk of sounding profane, you can always cook the stuffing separately as a side dish, and then jam the ham up the bird's hole. It's practically a win-win situation!

I could do that, but the stuffing that is saturated with bird-juice is the BEST stuffing!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nast

Quote from: Ten Ton Mantis on November 16, 2008, 03:11:23 AM
Quote from: Nasturtiums on November 16, 2008, 12:17:35 AM

I could do that, but the stuffing that is saturated with bird-juice is the BEST stuffing!

This is true!
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Ludwig

Quote from: Ten Ton Mantis on November 15, 2008, 11:45:24 PM
I always wanted to see how it would turn out if I stuffed a turkey with a small ham.

There are so many places into which a small ham needs to be inserted.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Ludwig on November 16, 2008, 05:10:58 AM
Quote from: Ten Ton Mantis on November 15, 2008, 11:45:24 PM

There are so many places into which a small ham needs to be inserted.

This is true:

http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=18417.0

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on November 15, 2008, 07:20:26 AM
The obvious answer is Green Bean Casserole.  I can't think of a single Thanksgiving dinner I have been at where it wasn't served.  It's a pretty easy recipe too:

1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
4 cups cooked green beans
1/2 cup milk
1 1/3 cups French fried onions
1/8 teaspoon pepper

Mix the soup, milk and pepper together in a casserole dish. Add all of the green beans and 2/3 cup of the onions. Bake for about 25 minutes at 350 degrees F. Put the rest of the onions on top, bake for another 5 minutes.

CANNOT DO - my kids hate milky green beans.  Thanks though!!!!

Quote from: Squid-diddle on November 15, 2008, 07:24:18 AM
cranberries?
not a veg but here's my recipe:

bag of berries
1/2 c orange juice
1/2 c water
1/2 c sugar
cinnamon stick
anise star
couple grates of nutmeg
about 2 orange slices

Bring everything (except berries) to a boil, reduce heat, fish out cinnamon stick, anise and orange slices, add berries cook till they break open and everything is a big sticky mess. Cool completely and serve chilled.

Also
New potatoes and green beans:

some bacon or salt pork
little new potatoes (the wee ones) with a stripe peeled around the orb
fresh green beans w. the stem snapped off and snapped in half
salt, pepper

par boil the potatoes a little and set them aside.
fry the bacon, remove. add green beans to the grease and toss w/ a little bit of water (just enough for a little steam). add salt pepper. when they soften a bit, add potatoes. cook till done.
really easy, really tasty.

that's all i can think of right now

Sqid - Is there gelatin in the cranberries?  I am wondering how liquid this is because it sounds awesome, but I am thinking on how to serve..  Do you put whipped cream on top?

The green beans and new potatoes is a great idea!!!  Thanks!!

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Minxys on November 15, 2008, 07:06:51 PM
As for your meat, settle for no plain turkey. Get a turducken. It's a chicken stuffed in a duck stuffed in a turkey. You can order online or prepare it yourself.

Oh, and about that green bean casserole. PEOPLE EAT THAT??!?!?

My mom and I tried that once because we had always heard of it, but never tasted it. We tried it 3-4 years ago and it was disgusting. Maybe my mom and I are not white enough to properly enjoy casserole, because of all the commercials and references of casseroles I've seen, I haven't seen a black dude eat casserole. Come to think of it, I haven' seen much of anybody eat casserole. But it's in so many dinner commercials and soup can labels, you just have to wonder!

Interesting meat option, but duck can be so greasy, I can only think it has the potential to come out terrible with this combination.  I agree on the green bean casserole.  Thanks!!!

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Nigel on November 15, 2008, 11:45:24 PM

I have tried ham stuffed chicken.  Very very salty.  It also kind of dried out the chicken.  I much prefer the bacon wrapped chicken breasts.  They stay really juicy!!!

I put a slice of bacon in my turkey along with an onion, celery and half a stick of butter.  I take this out  and chop it up and add it too my stuffing when I sutff my turkey about halfway through cooking.

Lymantria Dispar

Moroccan Stuffed Acorn Squash

2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon butter, melted
2 large acorn squash, halved and seeded
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
1 cup garbanzo beans, drained
1/2 cup raisins
1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
salt and pepper to taste
1 (14 ounce) can chicken or veggie broth
1 cup uncooked couscous

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F

Put squash halves cut side down on a baking sheet. Bake 30 minutes, or until tender. Dissolve the sugar in the melted butter. Brush squash with the butter mixture, and keep squash warm while preparing the stuffing.

Heat the olive oil in a skillet. Stir in the garlic, celery, and carrots, and cook 5 minutes or so. Mix in the garbanzo beans and raisins. Season to taste with cumin, salt, and pepper, and continue to cook and stir until vegetables are tender.

Pour the broth into the skillet, and mix in the couscous. Cover skillet, and turn off heat. Allow couscous to absorb liquid for 5 minutes. Stuff squash halves with the skillet mixture. Reheat if necessary.

I used to think normal was normal. Then, as time moved on, I used to pretend normal was normal, you know, just smile & nod my head a lot. Then when I realized me being abnormal was completely normal, well, I still smile & nod my head a lot, but now will occasionally smack a random person in the street.