News:

No, we're not mercenaries. We just carry weapons and kill things for the joy of the experience.

Main Menu

Researcher creates robotic armpit because of course he has.

Started by Chairman Risus, June 30, 2011, 06:10:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chairman Risus

http://www.slashgear.com/researcher-creates-an-armpit-for-robots-complete-with-bo-29162023/

QuoteResearcher Kevin Grennan has been working on robot armpits, complete with working sweat glands, hair, and odor.

The idea behind Grennan's project is to allow robots to release chemicals that have a particular effect on humans. For example, a bomb disposal robot can mimic the smell of human fear, and a robot on a production line would release androstadienone, a chemical found in male sweat that Grennan thinks will "enhance the performance of female employees in its vicinity."

Maybe it could work, but somehow the practical applications don't make the idea of a robot armpit any less gross.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Risus on June 30, 2011, 06:10:03 AM
http://www.slashgear.com/researcher-creates-an-armpit-for-robots-complete-with-bo-29162023/

QuoteResearcher Kevin Grennan has been working on robot armpits, complete with working sweat glands, hair, and odor.

The idea behind Grennan's project is to allow robots to release chemicals that have a particular effect on humans. For example, a bomb disposal robot can mimic the smell of human fear, and a robot on a production line would release androstadienone, a chemical found in male sweat that Grennan thinks will "enhance the performance of female employees in its vicinity."

Maybe it could work, but somehow the practical applications don't make the idea of a robot armpit any less gross.

SCIENCE!!!!

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Kyle Reese
The 600 series had rubber skin. We spotted them easy, but these are new. They look human... sweat, bad breath, everything. Very hard to spot. I had to wait till he moved on you before I could zero him.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Jessica Henson, Screamer
We can smile, we can cry. We can bleed... we can fuck.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Nephew Twiddleton

This is just one of a few things that are putting me in a weird mood this past week. Also why would you need a bomb diffusing robot to smell like human fear?

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on June 30, 2011, 02:08:02 PM
This is just one of a few things that are putting me in a weird mood this past week. Also why would you need a bomb diffusing robot to smell like human fear?

yeah, I thought on that one for a good few minutes and only came up with combining the bomb-bot with a human defuser, because maybe the smell of fear helps focus the person?

A stretch, but I have nothing else.  Besides, if it's a human doing the defusing, there's a good chance either his asshole is so puckered he couldn't shit a gnat, or he's going to be changing his shorts after anyway.

I'm not sure you'd want one of those guys to be any more strung out anyway.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Nephew Twiddleton

Elder Iptuous

From the Gizmag article:
He envisions such synthetic sweat glands (not necessarily in an armpit format) being installed on at least three different types of industrial robots. On a bomb-disposal robot, it would release "the smell of human fear," which he says has been shown to enhance peoples' cognitive performance.

Installed on a picker robot, it would release androstadienone, a chemical found in male sweat. Androstadienone reportedly affects women's moods, so if it were dispersed on an assembly line, he believes that it could increase the productivity of female workers in the immediate vicinity.

On a surgical robot, the sweat gland would produce a mist of oxytocin, a chemical that is found in the human brain. When inhaled nasally, it is said to cause people to become more trusting. If a patient were to "meet" the robot prior to surgery, and get a whiff of its oxytocin, they might therefore feel better about the operation.

yeah... that last one looks real trustworthy, eh?

Dysfunctional Cunt

I would love a robot that could clean and cook, but stink?  No thanks.

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Khara on Hiatus.... on June 30, 2011, 03:03:28 PM
I would love a robot that could clean and cook, but stink?  No thanks.

damn machines, always being made to do things better than me and with less work.

Chairman Risus

Quote from: Jenne on June 30, 2011, 05:38:16 PM
Um.  Ew.  And no.

It's either this or they put you in a room with a humidifier packed with undershirts.

Unayko

At least now we are not the only ones stinking.

http://youtu.be/yL9Y24ciNWs

He won't be able to complain anymore.

Jenne