News:

If words could really hurt you, this forum would be one huge abbatoir.

Main Menu

Are you addicted to electricity?

Started by Reeducation, April 01, 2008, 12:09:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Payne

But electricity.... It .... Isn't.

Fuck it.

Electricity isn't made of electrons and stuff, It's actually a giant slug called "Sparky". You kill it by covering it in salt.

AFK

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Payne

AFK

Payne

AFK

If electricity dies we'll have to create the PD.COM Pony Express.  We can enlist Dolphins so we can still converse with you Scotts and Dutch (and anyone else I'm missing)

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Idem on April 01, 2008, 04:00:43 PM
Quote from: LMNO on April 01, 2008, 02:34:22 PM
Quick question:  How does electricity "die"?
All I can think of is EMPs.

Or if power just became too expensive, but that wouldn't really be "dieing"

An EMP would only wipe out electronics in the area of the EMP. Even so, it wouldn't permanently make electricity go away, it would just require that IC's, transistors etc get replaced in the affected devices.

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Requia ☣

hmm...

Making an assumption the power plants are dead, but stuff like cars that bring their own electricity still work.

No, I'd need a different job, and the money in my bank would be pretty worthless (unless I had a heads up) but most on the infrastructure around here would hold up without electricity.  Traffic would bite though.

Also, my waffle iron does not need electricity.  Bet I could get all kinds of shit a couple months in from people who want waffles.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Jenne

Yes.

NEXT!

(longer answer:  my job requires it, mofo)

Idem

Quote from: Ratatosk on April 01, 2008, 04:45:19 PM
Quote from: Idem on April 01, 2008, 04:00:43 PM
Quote from: LMNO on April 01, 2008, 02:34:22 PM
Quick question:  How does electricity "die"?
All I can think of is EMPs.

Or if power just became too expensive, but that wouldn't really be "dieing"

An EMP would only wipe out electronics in the area of the EMP. Even so, it wouldn't permanently make electricity go away, it would just require that IC's, transistors etc get replaced in the affected devices.

I'm just assuming that "electricity" in the OP means "access to power".

If you somehow have a global EMP or EMP that affects a very large area, then out goes all functioning power plants, factories, devices, etc. In that area.

If it was a considerably large area/global, it would'nt be very easy to get replacements (understatement).

Regardless, it's all doomsday bullshit, and the increasing cost of access to running water/power would probably be a bigger problem.

Cainad (dec.)

Requia ☣

Bah, boats work fine without electricity.  You only need to hodl out until the first wind vessels show up.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Cainad (dec.)

Right, I'll get out that Oceangoing Sailboat I have in my shed. Does anyone remember how to sail?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

If electricity went bye-bye it would be important to get the fuck out of the city. My one experience with a city-wide blackout was pretty eye-opening.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."