News:

There are no innocents, only the squeamish and the aroused.

Main Menu

I Am Free

Started by POFP, March 29, 2014, 01:02:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Johnny

Quote from: Pæs on April 01, 2014, 10:47:41 PM
We do not speak of that which lurks in Discordia en Espanol. hirley0 keeps it at bay.

I vaguely remember translating some of it for the rest of you lot... MUCH REGRET.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: PlightOfFernandoPoo on April 01, 2014, 10:46:56 PM

Were you not preaching moral right-wrong here?

No.  I was discussing the definition of the word "power", and then foolishly added a comment thinking it wouldn't complicate things beyond discussion, because I am a fucking slow learner and I hadn't yet realized - despite all the other shit in this thread - that you are incapable of having a simple discussion.

Fucking flake.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Pæs

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 01, 2014, 11:20:45 PM

No.  I was discussing the definition of the word "power", and then foolishly added a comment thinking it wouldn't complicate things beyond discussion, because I am a fucking slow learner and I hadn't yet realized - despite all the other shit in this thread - that you are incapable of having a simple discussion.

Fucking flake.

NOT. MY. REAL. DAD.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Pæs on April 01, 2014, 11:21:59 PM

Fucking flake.

NOT. MY. REAL. DAD.

:lulz:

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Johnny

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 01, 2014, 11:24:10 PM

Fucking flake.

NOT. MY. REAL. DAD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5Za8HggalY

Quote from:  THREAD PLOT SUMMARY
Yes, no, maybe -
I don't know.
Can you repeat the question?

You're not the boss of me now!
You're not the boss of me now, and you're not so big!

Life is unfair, so I just stare - at the stain on the wall where ...
The TV'd been, but ever since we've moved in it's been empty

Why I, why I'm in this room -
There is no point explaining!

Life is a test, but I confess:
I like this mess I've made so far.
Grade on a curve, and you'll observe -
I'm right below the horizon.

Yes, no, maybe, I don't know.
Can you repeat the question?

(Guitar Solo)

Life is unfair!
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

POFP

Fucking flake.

There's not much that I know of that's simple.

If you felt what I said was unrelated, you should've ignored it. I wasn't expecting a response on that part of my post anyways.

NOT. MY. REAL. DAD.

This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Battering Rams not included.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

So you don't have much by way of empathy, you want to amass power, and you came to a forum to tell people so.

Have you, by any chance, been reading M.E. Thomas?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Power isn't a goal, it's a method and means.  People who don't understand that are invariably unfit to wield power, and usually don't have the right characteristics to acquire it in the first place.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on April 02, 2014, 12:22:33 AM
Power isn't a goal, it's a method and means.  People who don't understand that are invariably unfit to wield power, and usually don't have the right characteristics to acquire it in the first place.

DING.

Once again, Cain lays it down.

The Johnny

*mumbles something about Foucault, then thinks to himself "Nevermind."*

-B.F. Skinner

Cain

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 02, 2014, 12:26:04 AM

:thanks:

Quote from: The Johnny on April 02, 2014, 12:30:13 AM

Foucault was a boss.  But yeah, that may be a bit, uh, complex for a discussion that has mostly revolved around that perverted heroin addict attached to an ego, aka Crowley.

However, I was going to make two more points.

1. What is the purpose of seeking power, if not to have an effect on the world in the way one desires?  As much as I hate to reduce people to psychology, I would have to conclude that they are probably seeking the sense of security, importance and relevance that wielding power lends.  In which case, like Paes said, " becoming a solipsist and declaring total control over your own reality is probably the easiest way to get there."

2.  Power is socially constructed.  And that's socially constructed in the sense that it's constructed by society, not in the sense that it's not real, as so many kids chose to believe socially constructed means nowadays.  Power derives from networks that exist in society, and as a result bind one more closely to that society.  Sure, there may be specific relaxations and exemptions - society is not a monolithic bloc, after all - but by and large, one gains power in the modern world through a significant amount of social interaction.  It's not a path for someone who wants to be free of social mores and restrictions, and indeed trying to combine the two is an exercise in futility.

The Johnny

Quote from: Cain on April 02, 2014, 12:40:46 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 02, 2014, 12:26:04 AM

:thanks:

Quote from: The Johnny on April 02, 2014, 12:30:13 AM

2.  Power is socially constructed.  And that's socially constructed in the sense that it's constructed by society, not in the sense that it's not real, as so many kids chose to believe socially constructed means nowadays.  Power derives from networks that exist in society, and as a result bind one more closely to that society.  Sure, there may be specific relaxations and exemptions - society is not a monolithic bloc, after all - but by and large, one gains power in the modern world through a significant amount of social interaction.  It's not a path for someone who wants to be free of social mores and restrictions, and indeed trying to combine the two is an exercise in futility.

Yeah, its not about ignoring cultural rules and regulations... its about playing them in your favour.

That translates into a lot of manipulation, happy shit grins, strategizing to escalate the power ladder, being born into an already priviledged slot... etc etc etc.

Contrast that with a hermit, or a schizophrenic... one is "free" due to no responsability other than surviving out in the wild... the latter cant even control its unconscious which overrides him - now compare that to Obama, Putin or any world leader, or say anyone from Rothschild dynasty. Yeah.

-B.F. Skinner

POFP

Quote from: Nigel on April 02, 2014, 12:17:31 AM
So you don't have much by way of empathy, you want to amass power, and you came to a forum to tell people so.

Have you, by any chance, been reading M.E. Thomas?

That's a strange summary. I didn't come on here to tell you those things in particular. Those pieces of information were a result of the flow of the conversation, and in turn, the flow of my thoughts. As one thing led to another in this discussion, I was reminded of related tid-bits, and decided to reflect on them openly. Keep in mind, the simplicity of the original topic that I ranted on.

I just looked her up, and I'm quite interested. I may, in fact, read her on my free-time. Let's hope there aren't too many similarities though, if you know what I mean.

Quote from: Cain on April 02, 2014, 12:22:33 AM
Power isn't a goal, it's a method and means.

Now THAT, is an interesting way to look at power. This will dominate my thoughts for tomorrow, I'm sure of it.

Quote from: Cain on April 02, 2014, 12:40:46 AM
Foucault was a boss.  But yeah, that may be a bit, uh, complex for a discussion that has mostly revolved around that perverted heroin addict attached to an ego, aka Crowley.

However, I was going to make two more points.

1. What is the purpose of seeking power, if not to have an effect on the world in the way one desires?  As much as I hate to reduce people to psychology, I would have to conclude that they are probably seeking the sense of security, importance and relevance that wielding power lends.  In which case, like Paes said, " becoming a solipsist and declaring total control over your own reality is probably the easiest way to get there."

1. I was only talking about the acquisition of power because "the affect on the world in the way on desires" is variable. What I want to affect now may not be what I want to affect later. And YES  :lulz: We've established that Paes's description was spot-fucking-on.

2. I do agree that power is a construct. But I see it as one that is constructed in many ways, in many places, and to many extents depending on the perspective I'm looking from. I don't think that society is the only place it shows up.

I'm sorry to say I don't know much about/by Foucault.

I also must point out that you seem to state things with the same preachy and righteous tone that I use(d). So, it seems, the format is similar, just the information/view is different.
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Pæs

Quote from: PlightOfFernandoPoo on April 02, 2014, 01:53:43 AM
I also must point out that you seem to state things with the same preachy and righteous tone that I use(d). So, it seems, the format is similar, just the information/view is different.
Read bolded as "you are right and I am wrong."

POFP

Quote from: Pæs on April 02, 2014, 01:55:32 AM
Quote from: PlightOfFernandoPoo on April 02, 2014, 01:53:43 AM
Read bolded as "you are right and I am wrong."

Not what I meant at all. I don't think he's wrong. Nor do I think I'm right.