News:

You're miserable, edgy and tired. You're in the perfect mood for PD.com.

Main Menu

Anne of Green Gables- Highly under-rated

Started by Hoshiko, January 27, 2005, 07:54:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoshiko

I loved these books when I was a kid, and I never seemed to grow out of them. They gain a little something with each reading, it seems.  I re-read all of my old Narnia's and Oz's and James Harriet's, but when I need some literary candy I more than likely reach for these.

One of the few scenes in a book that has EVER made me cry (and I've read many a sad depressing book) is when Gilbert almost died. The description of the Captain living in the lighthouse with his cat was pretty awesome too.

It made me want to become an old sailor in a lighthouse or live in Nova Scotia, anyway.

Who was that girl who herded the geese and was married to the guy with the mental disorder? I can't remember her name, but that killed me too, even if it was a bit of a Deus Ex Machina.
Making people sorry they asked since 1983.

She got the speakers in the trunk
With the bass on crunk.

agent compassion

I never read those books, but I had almost all the Ramona books....did you ever see the show? Wasn't it just so cute?

'I'll take you out for a meal with Mr. and Mrs. Pain, order up some violent quiche. Do you want some?' - ++++++ Moon

Hoshiko

I think I read one of the books and loved it, but that was also when I was starting my Roald Daul phase so I skipped the rest.

There was a TV show? How did I miss that?

Was it any good?

With the bass on crunk.

DJRubberducky

I eventually got into the Anne of Green Gables series, but I was more interested in the Little House on the Prairie Series.

They even had a cookbook, including a recipe for mock apple pie made with green pumpkin. :D

Oh, and Encyclopedia Brown.  Can't forget Encyclopedia Brown.  There ended up being a cookbook for that one, too.  WTF? :D
- DJRubberducky
Quote from: LMNODJ's post is sort of like those pills you drop into a glass of water, and they expand into a dinosaur, or something.

Black sheep are still sheep.

Hoshiko

Encyclopedia Brown rocked so hard!

Little House on the Prairie was cool too because it taught you important lessons for real life, like how to make head cheese on a board and why indians were so stinky.

And also that Frontier Life is awful and will scar you as a child, especially if you're blind.

With the bass on crunk.

East Coast Hustle

plus, Laura Ingalls Wilder was uber-hot!!!

did I just say that out loud?

oh, and Encyclopedia brown was the shee-yit!!

I remember how proud of myself I was the first time I solved the mystery correctly without having to look in the back of the book for the answer...

8)
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

agent compassion

The Ramona series was awesome, and it was on PBS.

'I'll take you out for a meal with Mr. and Mrs. Pain, order up some violent quiche. Do you want some?' - ++++++ Moon

DJRubberducky

Oh, and if folks haven't ever read "Bridge to Terabithia" or "Very Far Away From Anywhere Else", you have to read one or both.
- DJRubberducky
Quote from: LMNODJ's post is sort of like those pills you drop into a glass of water, and they expand into a dinosaur, or something.

Black sheep are still sheep.

East Coast Hustle

Bridge to Terabithia was schmaltzy crap.

just saying.

8)
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

agent compassion

How about the Trixie Belden series? Girl detective? Way spookier than Nancy "how many ways can the author describe my titian hair and devoted yet absent boyfriend in one paragraph?" Drew!