News:

PD.com: More merciless than a statue of Ming.

Main Menu

You can't destroy the city.

Started by Requia ☣, January 20, 2010, 05:53:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

What is a city?

Is it the buildings that stand? If so, then when those buildings fall down and are replaced, is it still the city,  or is it a new one?

Is it the people that make it the city? If so, when they die is it still the city, or is it a new one?

Is it just the label that makes a city? If so, then to destroy it, you simply rename it.

Or use Godzilla.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Ratatosk on January 20, 2010, 04:20:30 PM
What is a city?

Is it the buildings that stand? If so, then when those buildings fall down and are replaced, is it still the city,  or is it a new one?

Is it the people that make it the city? If so, when they die is it still the city, or is it a new one?

Is it just the label that makes a city? If so, then to destroy it, you simply rename it.

Or use Godzilla.

The City exists independently of these things.

Wherever 3 or more humans gather together in the name of stupidity, The City is with them.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 20, 2010, 04:22:02 PM
What is a city?

Or use Godzilla.

Wherever 3 or more humans gather together in the name of stupidity, The City is with them.

Well that makes it even easier.... Just get Godzilla and Mothra and kill all humans.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Ratatosk on January 20, 2010, 04:26:39 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 20, 2010, 04:22:02 PM
What is a city?

Or use Godzilla.

Well that makes it even easier.... Just get Godzilla and Mothra and kill all humans.

If it were really, honestly that easy, we wouldn't be having this conversation right now.  Because we'd be monster poop.

TGRR,
Would be on the phone to Japan as we speak.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

LMNO

It wouldn't work, due to Gamara.

The Good Reverend Roger

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

DAMN YOU FLYING RADIOACTIVE TURTLE!!!!

The Good Reverend Roger

President Television

My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

The Good Reverend Roger

Aufenthatt

What is a city?

Or use Godzilla.

A city is an idea.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Aufenthatt on January 20, 2010, 05:19:33 PM
What is a city?

Or use Godzilla.

A city is an idea.

Right, right.  All that concrete and steel is just a figment of our imagination.

So is the sewer system, the electrical infrastructure, and the garbage removal.

Just an idea.

Aufenthatt

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 20, 2010, 05:22:27 PM
What is a city?

Or use Godzilla.

A city is an idea.

Right, right.  All that concrete and steel is just a figment of our imagination.

Just an idea.

What is the difference between a large town and a small city?
And a city needs none of those things. In England any settlement can be given a charter and become a city, in other places you need a cathedral or have a certain population size.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Aufenthatt on January 20, 2010, 05:27:14 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 20, 2010, 05:22:27 PM
What is a city?

Or use Godzilla.

A city is an idea.

Just an idea.

What is the difference between a large town and a small city?
And a city needs none of those things. In England any settlement can be given a charter and become a city, in other places you need a cathedral or have a certain population size.

Not disagreeing!  A city is just an idea, words don't mean anything, lolpinealismfnord!

TGRR,
A mile wide and an inch deep.

Aufenthatt

Yes, its a shame that a the city is a easily defined concept all over the world, otherwise people could use weak semantic arguments in the face of the word having a lack of substance.