News:

PD.com: Like a fraternity of drunken clowns, hopped up on goofballs, beating one-another to a bloody pulp with bricks; the maniacal laughter increases exponentially as someone runs off to get a cinder-block.

Main Menu

The Truth...

Started by navkat, May 06, 2008, 05:29:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

hunter s.durden

You're doing that thing where you bitch about a bunch of stupid crap.

I dislike your entire premise for being against drugs.
So a crackhead steals your car. That's why it's against the law to steal cars.

Based on your premise, let's outlaw cigarettes, alcohol, salt, red meat, McDonalds, bicycles, firearms, candles, every goddamn things that might injury someone or bring down your precious property values.

If my point wasn't well made above, it might take time to get back at you. I love to argue with you, but am unable to do so properly at the moment.
This space for rent.

LMNO

We could just boil it down and make it simple:

Hunter:  NO!

LMNO: YES!

Repeat as necessary.

hunter s.durden

You're getting lazy in your old age.

I accept your apology.
This space for rent.

LMNO

navkat

Quote from: Hoopla on May 06, 2008, 03:45:56 PM
Quote from: LMNO on May 06, 2008, 03:36:50 PM
Then consider the junkies who "legally" OD.  Same burden on society as the above.

Yeah, so what?  That's what tax money is for.

Fat people die all the time too, you think being fat should be illegal?

That's what the "War On Drugs" money should be used for.

hooplala

Stamp out tubolards!
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Cramulus

I think the War On Fat would garner much more public support than the War on Drugs

or maybe we could compromise and make it the War on Fatties

hunter s.durden

This space for rent.

LMNO

hunter s.durden

This space for rent.

navkat

Someone hit the nail on the head earlier: true and total decriminalization *would* solve a lot of the problems because it would take the stigma and misinformation out of the whole issue.

In a world where you could get cheap. legal, unadulterated MDMA, why would anyone want to take heroin? That would be the same as walking into a clinic and asking the doctor to give you a shot to make you into an insulin-dependant diabetic for the rest of your life.

"Lose my sight, destroy my liver and watch my feet rot off just to feel a little sleepy once in awhile? Where do I sign up?!?"

Also: Americans are lazy. They're not going to build a meth lab in their kitchen if they can get cheap stuff from the Mexicans who truck it in every Monday and Thursday. I won't lie: Meth heads are effed-up. Meth really does to you what the propaganda fear-machine told you crack and coke did in the 80's. It's a scary substance.

But no one believes the propaganda machine anymore, even when they're telling the truth...which they usually aren't. They haven't learned a goddamned thing. I'll prove it:

The next time you hear or read a story about some "ecstasy bust" or "ecstasy drug ring," I want you to listen carefully for the following earworm/catchphrase/viral propaganda: "Meth-like substance."

Let me tell you the truth here: It's true that MDMA has a similar chemical structure to Methamphetamine. The two are nothing alike, however. To say that MDMA is a "meth-like substance" is the equivalent of saying Helium is a "Propane-like substance."

The current "Zero Meth" campaign is designed to create panic over a legitimately scary substance. The WHOLE ENTIRETY of the rest of the "War on Drugs" must now piggyback on this panic. Otherwise; how do you justify spending billions and billions and billions of other people's dollars on a war that the current generation is now getting hip to? Oh, not to them, in the current totalitarian climate, they don't have to justify anything to us. No, no. All they have to do is declare a state of public emergency. We, The People...We suspected terrorists are too stupid, too...untrustworthy to do what's good for us. So they make it an act of "homegrown terrorism" and insert it into the Patriot Act.

And in th meantime, you know what those billions of dollars are doing? They are paying for bigger, more unwieldy government, more inventive ways for them to strip everyone of the divine right to live unaccounted for by another fallible human entity, and they are making the violent drug cartels rich. Simple stock-market logic: For every dollar we spend on the "Drug war," that's one dollar's-worth more "demand" for violent evasion tactics we've created in in the market. For every dollar spent on government "identification" technology aimed at making every human entity completely transparent to a secretive few, that's two or three dollars more spent on technology and bribery and violent tactics to get the shipments in.

I could go on and on.

The tinfoil-hat people were right.

(And I am just futilely rattling the bars of my cage.)

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: navkat on May 06, 2008, 05:29:32 AM
...is that we need drugs...because this fucking country has become such a goddamned prison that drugs are the only thing that makes the fucking pain and humiliation of being utterly, utterly dominated go away.

Not so.  There is another option.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on May 06, 2008, 02:53:09 PM
I only care when your needs are in direct conflict with my own.

For example, some meth lab explodes, the guy gets taken to the ER, can't pay the bills... who exactly pays for the ambulance, fire trucks, tox cleanup, and all the rest?  Oh, yeah.  Right.

Same people that pay when a poor person gets hit by a car.

Quote from: LMNO on May 06, 2008, 02:53:09 PM
Then no one wants to live in an area with a meth lab in it, so my property values goes down.

Then a bunch of broke-ass meth heads steal my car.

Victimless crime, my ass.

Freedom is more important than money.  In fact, it's more important than anything.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on May 06, 2008, 03:05:14 PM
Broke fuck-ups stealing my shit for a hit?

Yeah, probably.  Why would making it legal change that?

Price goes down.