News:

Attempting to do something

Main Menu

Dresden Files RPG?

Started by Wyldkat, May 30, 2011, 06:44:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wyldkat

Has anyone played it?  Any opinions or suggestions?

I'm trying to read through the books right now.  So far it looks interesting.  It says it uses the Fate system which I'm not familiar with other than knowing that it uses fudge dice.  It's really big on group cooperative world building rather than leaving it all to the GM.

Telarus

I've heard good things from the spags over @ rpg.net. And I watched the show while it was on SciFi, good setting.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

The Wizard

I've got the core book as a pdf, if you want it. Or I could show you where you could download it yourself.
Insanity we trust.

Wyldkat

Cool, thanks!  Either option would work.  I have the hardbound core book and world book.  Having another copy of some kind would be helpful though.

What do you think of it?

The Wizard

http://www.4shared.com/document/6gB7U5Gx/The_Dresden_Files_RPG_-_Your_S.htm

http://www.4shared.com/document/NrKV2_T5/The_Dresden_Files_RPG_-_Our_Wo.htm

The same thing you've got, but in pdf.

I liked the game. I love the books, and I'm a fan of the FATE system (especially Spirits of the Century), but I actually haven't gotten a chance to play this one. But just reading it, pretty good.
Insanity we trust.

Wyldkat

Thanks!

Could you share a bit about the Fate system?  What you like/don't like?  I'm still trying to figure it out.  I hadn't even heard of it before this RPG.

The Wizard

Well, it has all of the dice rolly elements most games have, but what the system different are the aspects. Aspects are little one-five word descriptions of your character that give you bonus dice on appropriate rolls. So, if you've an aspect called "Really hates Chuck", then you can get bonus dice when you're doing something to mess with Chuck.

But, you're enemies can also use aspects against you. Continuing to use "Really hates Chuck" as an example, you're enemies can use your aspect to get bonus dice if they want you to go against Chuck, even if it's against your best interests. There's more to it than that, but that's kind of the gist.

I'd really recommend two other Fate games. Spirit of the Century, my favorite, is a pulp game, and Houses of the Blooded, an anti D&D, that's also really good.
Insanity we trust.

Wyldkat

Thanks a lot for that.  I'm about 55 pages in and they have yet to really explain the system which is making understanding the stuff they are discussing a bit of a pain.