News:

If it quacks like a sociopath, but also ponders its own sociopathy, it's probably just an asshole.

Main Menu

Calling it now: Dems snatch defeat from the jaws of victory in 2016.

Started by Doktor Howl, August 04, 2015, 12:19:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno

He has plenty of other, more fun-size targets to choose from, Tony Schwartz being somewhere near the top of the list. Trump's lawyers have already sent Schwartz a letter demanding that he shut up, give Trump all the money he made on that book he wrote, and then continue shutting up.

Then there's all those small business owners that spoke out about how Trump screwed them.
Formerly something else...

Junkenstein

It's is impressive that for someone running on a "expert businessman" platform that there's no-one saying that he was good to do business with.

Seriously, I've been looking and I just can't find any.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Salty

Ron Paul ITT RE: Trump, post-pussy-grabbing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Olfg9KK_bmE

I, for one, am disappointed. I thought he would rally.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Cain

So, I'm reserving judgement on the main claim in this article because, well, the magazine in question is still investigating

http://europe.newsweek.com/donald-trump-apologises-serbia-yugoslavia-bombing-509417?rm=eu

But they did just drop this in at the end with little to no elaboration:

QuoteWhen U.S. Vice President Joe Biden visited Serbia earlier this year he was met by hundreds of protesters chanting "Vote for Trump." The protest was organized by one of Serbia's biggest pro-Russian powers, the nationalist Radical Party.

Cain

I'd also like to take this moment to shamefully admit I also fantasised about sex with Lindsay Lohan when she was 18.

Wait, I was 18 too.  Never mind.

MithridatesXXIII

Quote from: Freeky on October 14, 2016, 10:10:32 PM
http://www.cc.com/video-clips/1z5kee/the-daily-show-with-trevor-noah-back-in-black---getting-out-the-millennial-vote

I'm glad that 2016 hasn't taken Lewis Black as of this point.

There's that and then there's what Mike Rowe says in counterpoint.

http://qpolitical.com/24-hours-after-last-nights-debate-mike-rowe-makes-a-huge-confession-on-what-he-see-wrong-with-this-election/

"Hi Jeremy, Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate it. I also share your concern for our country, and agree wholeheartedly that every vote counts. However, I'm afraid I can't encourage millions of people whom I've never met to just run out and cast a ballot, simply because they have the right to vote. That would be like encouraging everyone to buy an AR-15, simply because they have the right to bear arms. I would need to know a few things about them before offering that kind of encouragement. For instance, do they know how to care for a weapon? Can they afford the cost of the weapon? Do they have a history of violence? Are they mentally stable? In short, are they responsible citizens?"

He goes on to say

Like all rights, the right to vote comes with some responsibilities, but let's face it – the bar is not set very high. If you believe aliens from another planet walk among us, you are welcome at the polls. If you believe the world is flat, and the moon landing was completely staged, you are invited to cast a ballot. Astrologists, racists, ghost-hunters, sexists, and people who rely upon a Magic 8 Ball to determine their daily wardrobe are all allowed to participate. In fact, and to your point, they're encouraged."

The link is worth reading. The statement is not all that much longer but he proceeds to emphasize responsibility and education. Can't say I don't love my Lewis Black.

MithridatesXXIII

Quote from: Cain on October 11, 2016, 04:23:29 AM
Oops

http://europe.newsweek.com/vladimir-putin-sidney-blumenthal-hillary-clinton-donald-trump-benghazi-sputnik-508635?rm=eu

Where Eichenwald goes Greenwald follows.

https://theintercept.com/2016/10/11/in-the-democratic-echo-chamber-inconvenient-truths-are-recast-as-putin-plots/

He basically states Eichenwald is hyping a loosely connected series of events into something sensational and is buying into the scapegoating and messenger shooting of Russia in all matters wikileaks. Thought this might be relevant to your interests. I don't know how you feel about an obviously biased opponent of Eichenwald.

Don Coyote

Quote from: MithridatesXXIII on October 14, 2016, 11:31:52 PM
Quote from: Freeky on October 14, 2016, 10:10:32 PM
http://www.cc.com/video-clips/1z5kee/the-daily-show-with-trevor-noah-back-in-black---getting-out-the-millennial-vote

I'm glad that 2016 hasn't taken Lewis Black as of this point.

There's that and then there's what Mike Rowe says in counterpoint.

http://qpolitical.com/24-hours-after-last-nights-debate-mike-rowe-makes-a-huge-confession-on-what-he-see-wrong-with-this-election/

"Hi Jeremy, Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate it. I also share your concern for our country, and agree wholeheartedly that every vote counts. However, I'm afraid I can't encourage millions of people whom I've never met to just run out and cast a ballot, simply because they have the right to vote. That would be like encouraging everyone to buy an AR-15, simply because they have the right to bear arms. I would need to know a few things about them before offering that kind of encouragement. For instance, do they know how to care for a weapon? Can they afford the cost of the weapon? Do they have a history of violence? Are they mentally stable? In short, are they responsible citizens?"

He goes on to say

Like all rights, the right to vote comes with some responsibilities, but let's face it – the bar is not set very high. If you believe aliens from another planet walk among us, you are welcome at the polls. If you believe the world is flat, and the moon landing was completely staged, you are invited to cast a ballot. Astrologists, racists, ghost-hunters, sexists, and people who rely upon a Magic 8 Ball to determine their daily wardrobe are all allowed to participate. In fact, and to your point, they're encouraged."

The link is worth reading. The statement is not all that much longer but he proceeds to emphasize responsibility and education. Can't say I don't love my Lewis Black.

So like blah blah blah freedom of speech blah blah he can express his opinion, but man does Rowe get on my fucking nerves. Either the constitution means something or doesn't. If you aren't willing to help some asshole to the polls simply because they are opposed to your politics you are also an asshole. You're starting to get into fascism when you don't want the wrong sorts of people to vote, whether that's a minority group or idiots that think water has memory.

Junkenstein

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-elections/donald-trump-sexual-assault-groping-allegations-anthony-gilberthorpe-jessica-leeds-a7362761.html

QuoteIn an interview with the New York Post, which was set up by the Trump campaign, Anthony Gilberthorpe said he was seated across the aisle from Mr Trump and his accuser, Jessica Leeds, when the alleged incident took place in the plane's first class cabin.

But Mr Gilberthorpe claimed that not only did Mr Trump not touch Ms Leeds as she alleges, but that "it was she that was the one being flirtatious." When Mr Trump rose to go to the loo, Mr Gilberthorpe said, Ms Leeds had confided in him that "She wanted to marry [Mr Trump]."

The 54-year-old retiree suggested he was incensed to read Ms Leeds's story, especially her claim that "the guy in the seat across the aisle could see" as she was molested by Mr Trump. "That I sat there – eyes bulging – and not intervening is nonsense," he told the Post.

Mr Gilberthorpe made headlines in the UK in 2014, when he claimed to have procured teenagers to attend parties during the 1980s, where they were sexually abused by several deceased Conservative party politicians. The claims were unsubstantiated and unprovable.

Jesus fucking wept. When you've got this crazy fucker defending you, you don't need any enemies.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Junkenstein

Latest now is trump saying they should both have a drug test.

Write your own jokes, this one is too easy.

MithridatesXXIII

Quote from: Junkenstein on October 15, 2016, 10:14:25 PM

It is a source of mild amusement but I find that I feel letdown that I am even reacting to these types of shenanigans. I'm experiencing diminishing returns on the amusement part.

Faust

Is he trying to pull a princess bride switcheroo on their urine before it goes to test or something?
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Junkenstein

Quote from: MithridatesXXIII on October 15, 2016, 10:35:51 PM
Quote from: Junkenstein on October 15, 2016, 10:14:25 PM

It is a source of mild amusement but I find that I feel letdown that I am even reacting to these types of shenanigans. I'm experiencing diminishing returns on the amusement part.

By this time next year the scales are tipped towards horror, less mirth. I get the diminishing returns thing, hell even I'm not laughing as much as I should but what I'm getting at is enjoy this now because next year is grim.

Quote from: Faust on October 15, 2016, 11:15:06 PM
Is he trying to pull a princess bride switcheroo on their urine before it goes to test or something?

That or he's confident that the gear he's on (bath salts, I'm telling you) won't show up on a standard piss test.

The simple thing here is he claims a win either way. Clinton ignores or derides it, she's hiding something. She takes the test and he's "holding her to account" and such shit. And of course, the result is rigged by her already, anyway.

What this noticeably isn't, is proof contradicting the growing number of allegations. You can see the engine of deflection in action and it's hilarious. Even bills bastard kid has been brought up again despite being long discredited. It would be funnier if we weren't looking at what increasingly seems to be another savile.

MithridatesXXIII

Quote from: Don Coyote on October 15, 2016, 04:00:06 PMEither the constitution means something or doesn't. If you aren't willing to help some asshole to the polls simply because they are opposed to your politics you are also an asshole. You're starting to get into fascism when you don't want the wrong sorts of people to vote, whether that's a minority group or idiots that think water has memory.

Rowe doesn't advocate for an intelligence test, which is obviously unconstitutional and would undoubtedly lead to Jim Crow type discrimination but this opens up a lot of ethical considerations to be sure. As you have already noted cases where the action/inaction distinction and the doing/allowing distinction spring to mind.

Do you feel a sense of obligation or pressure to persuade people to vote who have decided not to?