News:

In my heart I knew that rotten testicles and inflamed penises were on the way.

Main Menu

Racism at the crosswalk

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, June 12, 2014, 05:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

While trolling the PSU website for pictures of my professors to make sure I haven't accidentally made out with any of them, I ran into this very interesting piece of recent research:

http://otrec.us/news/entry/study_examines_racial_bias_at_crosswalks

QuoteIn a pilot study funded by the NITC Small Starts program, researchers explored whether drivers behave differently toward pedestrians waiting to use a crosswalk based on the pedestrian's race. The study – the first examining the effects of race on pedestrian crossing experiences – found that black pedestrians were passed by twice as many cars and waited nearly a third longer to cross than white pedestrians.

Minorities are disproportionately represented among pedestrian fatalities in the United States. The Center for Disease Control reported in 2013 that in the first decade of this century, the fatality rates for black and Hispanic men were twice as high as they were for white men.

Researchers Kimberly Barsamian Kahn and Tara Goddard of Portland State University, and Arlie Adkins, of the University of Arizona, hypothesized that if minority pedestrians experience more delay at crosswalks, they might take greater risks when crossing – risks that could contribute to the disparate fatality rates.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

RACISM IS OVER!  WE HAVE A BLACK PRESIDENT!
              \
:bankster:

The Good Reverend Roger

That's interesting.  I shall have to watch my own inner reactions in Tucson for a while, just to see how my brain reacts.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It's particularly interesting to me because it reflects a perfect example of "I can't see it so it doesn't exist" unconscious racism that leads many white people to conclude that we live in a postracial society... and is also a perfect example of "I'm getting subtly fucked over everywhere I go but I can't prove it" that is so frustrating for people of color.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

I've been observing this in the downtown area. I thought I was making shit up because I see this shit everywhere. But no. It's a thing. Fucking hell. It's everywhere.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

LMNO

I agree.  Sorry if my first response was overly glib.  I'll have to keep an eye on my own behaviors while driving.  My first defensive response is, "In Boston, everyone can fuck off while crossing the street."  But I'm probably guilty of it.

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on June 12, 2014, 05:17:23 PM
It's particularly interesting to me because it reflects a perfect example of "I can't see it so it doesn't exist" unconscious racism that leads many white people to conclude that we live in a postracial society... and is also a perfect example of "I'm getting subtly fucked over everywhere I go but I can't prove it" that is so frustrating for people of color.

This is the truth.

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Cain

Emoticon Theatre Presents: Racism at the Crosswalk

:shortbus:   

:shortbus:

:stfu1:

:wasp:

minuspace

Yea, it's crazy, and then they feel entitled to honk at me if I don't run them minorities down. :argh!:  So I follow the hot-head and park so as to be right there when he gets out of his Escalade.  The guy's a west-African.  I still stare him down.  He was driving a bunch of drunk princesses going to the ball, TLC.  We were all just leaving Cape Coast again.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on June 12, 2014, 05:22:32 PM
I've been observing this in the downtown area. I thought I was making shit up because I see this shit everywhere. But no. It's a thing. Fucking hell. It's everywhere.

That's the thing, too, is that when you see this shit, and you don't have anything to back you up except anecdotes from other people who see it, it's so easy to dismiss it because it sounds crazy or paranoid.

"No, really, black people have a harder time crossing the street because people won't stop for them!"

"Seriously though, people of color don't get waited on as fast and get worse service."

"I'm not kidding, brown-skinned folks get skipped over in line, like, a lot. I swear."

minuspace

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on June 12, 2014, 06:22:44 PM

"No, really, black people have a harder time crossing the street because people won't stop for them!"

"Seriously though, people of color don't get waited on as fast and get worse service."

"I'm not kidding, brown-skinned folks get skipped over in line, like, a lot. I swear."

THAT'S BECAUSE THEY DON'T STAND OUT - LACK OF RELATION BY DISTINCTION

THAT'S TO BE EXPECTED - PEOPLE PROCESS NOVEL TASKS WITH DIFFICULTY

OF COURSE - THEY BELONG ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE COUNTER

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Thanks for posting this. I can't wait to trot it out next time someone gets all post-racial on me.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

That's the thing, too, is that when you see this shit, and you don't have anything to back you up except anecdotes from other people who see it, it's so easy to dismiss it because it sounds crazy or paranoid.

When I worked in a deli, my co-workers would skip POC rather frequently, claiming to not understand them, or not like 'dirty' people. And got away with it. Our department ass. man. was Hispanic and our department manager was black. But the store manager and assistant store manager were both white. It drove my manager insane being made complicit in this bullshit but he felt he couldn't stand up because the store manager was a holy roller and yeah.

I have so many fucked up anecdotes about Georgia but they're all such subtle things that when I say them out loud to someone, it sounds ridiculous.

It is shit that this happens and I correct it where I can. It boggles my god damn mind.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on June 13, 2014, 04:03:25 AM

When I worked in a deli, my co-workers would skip POC rather frequently, claiming to not understand them, or not like 'dirty' people. And got away with it. Our department ass. man. was Hispanic and our department manager was black. But the store manager and assistant store manager were both white. It drove my manager insane being made complicit in this bullshit but he felt he couldn't stand up because the store manager was a holy roller and yeah.

I have so many fucked up anecdotes about Georgia but they're all such subtle things that when I say them out loud to someone, it sounds ridiculous.

It is shit that this happens and I correct it where I can. It boggles my god damn mind.

Say it to the right person and they'll do research to back you up.

Say it to the wrong person, and they'll have you fired. It's a bit of a quandary.

Sir Squid Diddimus

I never noticed this behavior before.
It made me realize how frustrated I get at the upper crust white folk on Park Ave who take their sweet ass time crossing, yet I'll stop my damn car on a three lane highway to move a turtle.

I live near Full Sail, where there are students of all nationalities. It's a really diverse area. They don't really bother me cause they're all just trying to get to their overpriced sham classes. But those skeevy rich people downtown... I hate them.

shit.
I'm guilty.
:oops: