News:

PD.com: Living proof that just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Main Menu

Greece's most famous rapper is killed by a member of the Golden Dawn

Started by Pope Pixie Pickle, September 18, 2013, 11:09:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: Cain on September 28, 2013, 10:03:21 PM
This article may explain what I am talking about a bit more

http://www.keeptalkinggreece.com/2013/09/18/op-ed-on-pavlos-fyssas-murder-dangerous-political-game-that-backfired-and-got-out-of-control/#sthash.VJu5R1T7.dpuf

Quote"The theory of two poles" in practice was translated into trivializing the extreme-right Golden Dawn and criminalizing left-wing SYRIZA.

Or, as Eurointelligence puts it:

QuoteBut some have also suggested that the main government parties have been unwilling to challenge Golden Dawn on the extreme right because it made it easier for them to characterize it as equivalent to the challenge posed from the left by SYRIZA. This 'theory of two poles' results in 'trivializing the extreme-right Golden Dawn and criminalizing left-wing SYRIZA'.

As far as the traditional parties are concerned, SYRIZA are the real threat here.  Yes, the Golden Dawn is also dangerous to the status quo.  But allowing the Golden Dawn to run around serves two purposes; the government can warn against the extremes of the political spectrum on both sides by reference to the Golden Dawn's actions alone, and the Golden Dawn will target SYRIZA members and supporters more than anyone else, immigrants aside.

Cool. I have opened a tab for tomorrow's reading.

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on October 15, 2013, 06:05:36 AM
Yeah, Russia's skinheads are scary, and have a certain amount of political clout.

For some reason, in 1990s Russia, geopolitics has been wed to a mystical interpretation of fascism, which has increased the latter's currency among certain elites of a Eurasian bent.  In turn, this means the street level thugs get the kid glove treatment.

Meanwhile, Greece seems to be cracking down on the Golden Dawn.  Time will tell how effective that truly is.

Also sounds historically familiar.  You don't crack down on them unless you crush them.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain