News:

The only BEARFORCE1 slashfic forum on the Internet.  Fortunately.

Main Menu

Spagbook

Started by Cramulus, January 22, 2010, 02:42:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

My definition is basically that if someone who does not know you at all were to look at you and think you're a hipster, then you're a hipster.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on February 01, 2014, 05:10:22 PM
Why, thank you!

It's the best way I had to reduce the cognitive dissonance about being a 41-year old indie rock drummer who wears hats and makes his own hot sauce.

Yeah. See, I'm almost certainly somebody's idea of a hipster. So, sure. Why not? Hardly anybody is all "Yup, I'm a hipster right here, all up in this joint". It's not a label people choose for themselves, it's a label that's applied by people who don't know them. And everybody, no matter how much of a hipster they look like from the outside, makes an exception for themself and their friends because "We're not fake". It's basically all just tribal/authenticity/posturing bullshit.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cainad (dec.)

One time I saw myself in a mirror and realized that I could be pretty quickly pegged as a hipster by almost anyone on the street.

LMNO

Me too.

Good thing I'm having too much of a good time at the GAY BAR to care what the fuck they think.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on February 01, 2014, 04:19:13 PM
Another definition, the one most widely in use these days, is "people you don't like".

My definition is pretty specific.  To me, a hipster is someone who just can't get enough pee on their dentures.  They have to be into things you've never heard of...Once you've heard of it, they have to drop it like a hot rock and charge right out to find something even more obscure.  Not because you find cool shit like that, but so they can stay ahead of the Joneses in the cool department.

The hilarious outfits are just an added benefit.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Ben Shapiro

To me hipsters are people stuck in Nostalgia. Won't shut up about the good old days, and that the current generation will never have as much fun as they do.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

See, the problem is that it's just another lazy shorthand that people use without thinking to label people they assume they don't like.

It's been applied to me, to Cainad, to LMNO, to Alty, to my housemate. It's like saying "To me, a nigger is one of those lazy shiftless blacks, not people like YOU".

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I mean, I've said all this before, years ago, I don't know why I'm even typing right now.

Salty

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on February 02, 2014, 05:27:12 PM
I mean, I've said all this before, years ago, I don't know why I'm even typing right now.

:thisguy:
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Bu🤠ns

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Bu☆ns on February 02, 2014, 07:41:43 PM
http://www.brainpickings.org/index.php/2013/09/30/how-to-be-a-nonconformist-elissa-jane-karg/

This pretty much sums it up for me....and what Roger said.c

That was wonderful! The drawings and lettering were superb.

And they all describe one thing; young people trying to understand themselves and their place in a society that was, at the time, beginning to latch on to the marketing potion of rugged individualism, which is profoundly at odds with human nature and the synthesis of a successful society.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

You will notice one thing in common with everyone who professes to hate hipsters, and that is that when one of their friends says "people consider me a hipster" or "I wear x-and-such hipster thing" they will all - and I mean every single time without exception - say some variation of "I don't mean you; you're different". Usually with some rationalizing along the lines of "but the difference is that you're authentic".

You see, strangers and people you don't like are INAUTHENTIC, or IRONIC, and therefore hipsters, while people you like are AUTHENTIC and SINCERE, and therefore can wear all the exact same clothes and be into the exact same things without being hipsters.

In other words, it's a totally worthless categorizing pejorative that can be applied without thinking to people you either don't know or don't like.

Salty

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on February 02, 2014, 09:45:00 PM
You will notice one thing in common with everyone who professes to hate hipsters, and that is that when one of their friends says "people consider me a hipster" or "I wear x-and-such hipster thing" they will all - and I mean every single time without exception - say some variation of "I don't mean you; you're different". Usually with some rationalizing along the lines of "but the difference is that you're authentic".

You see, strangers and people you don't like are INAUTHENTIC, or IRONIC, and therefore hipsters, while people you like are AUTHENTIC and SINCERE, and therefore can wear all the exact same clothes and be into the exact same things without being hipsters.

In other words, it's a totally worthless categorizing pejorative that can be applied without thinking to people you either don't know or don't like.

Which is, when you think about it, totally gay.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Alty on February 02, 2014, 09:50:25 PM
Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on February 02, 2014, 09:45:00 PM

Which is, when you think about it, totally gay.
Psssh, racist.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Rococo Modem Basilisk

I thought a hipster was just someone who hipsts? You know, dismisses others as inauthentic poseurs by making meaningless distinctions in order to exclude people from their social group on the grounds of having less devotion to the cause of obscurity and authenticity in some domain?

People who do this, basically:

Or, this.

So, by definition, anyone who dismisses someone as a hipster is a hipster.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.