News:

PD.COM:  Mindlessly hitting the refresh button for weeks on end.

Main Menu

Holiday Lights

Started by Eater of Clowns, December 27, 2011, 09:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eater of Clowns

Everyone tells you birthdays are when you start feeling older but that really isn't true.  That pain in your back doesn't decide to act up when you're that one day further along.  For me, it's Christmas.  I see most of my family that day, one of the few days a year when we can all cram ourselves into my aunt's little den and eat meat stuffing from a trough and act pleasant.

It switched on early this year.  I needed bread on Christmas Eve so I walked down the street to the Portuguese bakery to buy a nice loaf of sourdough.  I was walking by the new bar and I could see inside for the first time, the windows not blacked out but emanating an inviting warmth.  Five men sat at the bar nursing one thing or another and four had pulsing orange red spots in their abdomens but one had an angry purple and black swell instead.  Every time they drank they grew a little brighter except for that last one, shuddering and wavering and fighting.

Every time I go to the bakery I open the door for some little old woman or another.  If they're five feet tall I'd be impressed.  This one today was dressed in all black like so many others, probably for a dead husband.  She was a cool, frail blue with little spots of yellow all over, some radiating and some striking out with every step.  She didn't say thank you, probably because she only speaks Portuguese.

It wasn't just the drinkers and the old women it was everyone.  Some had hundreds of little red dots around their nose or hard and dark things on their feet.  When I went to see my mother that night to exchange the gifts our meager incomes allowed us she had bolts of lighting coming from a molar and this was even after her cocktail of pain meds and sleeping pills and anxiety pills and antidepressants.  It kept her from her beloved church that night and the next morning and stopped her from driving to my memere's.  Blinding lightning.

Christmas day was a blinding array of colors and lights.  They reflected off the wrapping paper and shone through every bite of food, lit the back of teeth through every smile.  My uncle was there and he's been fighting for most of the year, his big round face a sickly call to my own appearance, our shared lineage highlighted in perverse grays and hanging skin, the color indescribable and changing as slithering black hues beat back his health.  He joked that since his sister cut down the tree he planted as a kid he was wasting away but even a funny man can only get so far with all that brown and all that purple.

My cousins have kids now.  Kids that don't really have a shot in so many ways because, well, that's my family, but they're the brightest things I've seen in two days, like little fires in their Christmas clothes.  Early dawn or that furthest reach of light around a campfire.  It was a fine contrast.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Eater of Clowns

Tick red tock blue burgundy burgundy burgundy hues
Purple is royal but black is
Too rich a gray and too great a bitch
Lush in the sense of
Loyal or foiled or toiling tumors
And Rumors of humors all
Four feet of tube on the floor
Feeding pale yellow lungs with black spotted
Decor of holiday lights,
Sickness collecting its dues.

EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Eater of Clowns

Antibiotico under the din of the vico
A ration of radiation good thing that he's got dough
This gent's that's on gen unlike her on oxyco
Done been condoned already on amb oh
Bien as well as pinned under the clono
Cocktail that pales neath others on chemo
Her recipe's no therapy to sick thoughts that still flow
Under holiday lights.
                           It ain't right.
                                             But you know?

EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

Nephew Twiddleton

Been chewing on this a bit. I noticed some of the same sort of of thing.

And suddenly, you're able to age your family members another 20 years and know what they will look like. Then you realize you'll be old someday. Kids are always interesting. Not only do they have no health problems, but they have limitless energy, or at least it seems they do.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Cramulus

and I wonder -- what color is the narrator?

ETA: Because of all the visual language, I think this would make a good comic strip

Eater of Clowns

Right now the narrator is between bright red and dark blue.

I've been feverish the last few days.  It got me thinking about my sick relatives, from the unfortunate but not threatening root canal to the emphysema to the cancer.

EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."