News:

"At the teaparties they only dunked bags into cups of water...because they didn't want to break the law. And that just about sums up America's revolutionary spirit."

Main Menu

OMG IM SO SORRY!

Started by trix, October 05, 2011, 06:01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trix

Situation:  Sitting in a cafeteria, University of Wisconsin, eating lunch and browsing the internet on my laptop.  People walk past.  One, two, ten.  Suddenly, one girl is walking while texting on her cellphone and trips over a chair leg, slamming her hand down to break her fall.  Her hand lands instead on my laptop, dragging it to the floor in a loud clutter of wreckage and sharp intakes of breath.  She looks down at me, sitting there taking a very deep breath and attempting to remain calm and rational.  "Oh my god!  I'm so sorry!" She exclaims as she stares at me, making no attempt to collect the wreckage off of the floor.  She did, I notice, stop texting on the cellphone while making her apology, and has not resumed while awaiting my response.  I look up at her and consider the situation.

Appearance:
Blond, very attractive in a half genuine, half manufactured kind of way.
Thin, age between 18 and 22, dressed comfortably rather than fashionably.

Genuine concern on her face, appears genuinely sorry for an honest mistake.
A bit impatient, as if I should only notice her beauty and immediately forgive and forget the loss of my obviously broken expensive laptop.

Options:
1) Grab her by the throat and squeeze until she turns purple.
2) Accept the loss of the laptop and accept her apology gracefully.
3) Become friendly and see if she is willing to pay partial recuperation for the laptop.
4) Think with my penis and ask her out.
5) Allow a small amount of my irritation to show and dismiss her, possibly with a lecture on walking around with her phone in her face.

I decide to go with 5, but without the lecture.  Her overall reaction made it clear she did not feel entirely responsible anyway, and pushing the issue would not have helped anything.  I do admit I probably have a small case of Assburger.  #1 was a bit difficult to resist, initially.

I'm curious however, how would other people respond?
Would your response, HONESTLY, be different if she was extremely unattractive, all other aspects being equal?

Food for thought, I suppose.
There's good news tonight.  And bad news.  First, the bad news: there is no good news.  Now, the good news: you don't have to listen to the bad news.
Zen Without Zen Masters

Quote from: Cain
Gender is a social construct.  As society, we get to choose your gender.

Freeky

God do you ever NOT say something completely retarded?  Die in a fire, asshole.

Doktor Howl

I would have done that thing Freeky keeps yelling at me for.

And I wouldn't be sorry, nope, not one little bit.

Dok,
Thinks texting while doing anything should result in having your fingers removed with lineman's pliers.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Also, I am unimpressed with physical beauty, as I know what Oscar Wilde said.
Molon Lube

Freeky

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 05, 2011, 06:07:54 PM

That was pretty much what solicited my response.  "SHE WAS PURTY DURRR WHAT IF SHE DONE BEEN UGLY DURRRRR?"

Fucking hell.  Shallow, pretentious, fart-sniffing, self indulged middle class white TRASH.  GET THE FUCK OFF MAH LAWN.

Nephew Twiddleton

Ask for full compensation, threaten to sue for destruction of property.

This is America, dammit.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Freeky

Quote from: Nph. Twid. on October 05, 2011, 06:10:45 PM

This is America, dammit.

You almost made me start gnawing on my monitor in mouth-frothing rage with that one.  :hateragelulz:

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Science me, babby on October 05, 2011, 06:12:34 PM

This is America, dammit.

You almost made me start gnawing on my monitor in mouth-frothing rage with that one.  :hateragelulz:

:lulz:

Nephew Twiddleton

You know, Trix, if you actually do decide to take her to small claims court, it should be daytime court TV. If we're going to do this like Americans, we're going to do it like motherfucking Americans!

Triple Zero

IF she pays up, I can always ask her out. If she doesn't pay, there's no amount of pretty that's going to make me want to date her. But I still want my money.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Triple Zero on October 05, 2011, 06:21:33 PM

IF she pays up, I can always ask her out. If she doesn't pay, there's no amount of pretty that's going to make me want to date her. But I still want my money.

Would make an interesting story for the kids.

Triple Zero

"Kids, first she broke my laptop, then I broke the ice, and a year later her water!"
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Freeky

Jesus goddamn Christ.  I tried to read more thoroughly than scan it again, and I got to the second line and all I want to do is just push you down and start KICKING THE EVERLOVING SHIT out of your stupid ass in the hopes that maybe someday you'll be fit to live on my goddamn planet or that I nail you in the nads enough times that you won't be able to breed.

Goddamn it.

trix

Quote from: Science me, babby on October 05, 2011, 06:10:04 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 05, 2011, 06:07:54 PM

That was pretty much what solicited my response.  "SHE WAS PURTY DURRR WHAT IF SHE DONE BEEN UGLY DURRRRR?"

Fucking hell.  Shallow, pretentious, fart-sniffing, self indulged middle class white TRASH.  GET THE FUCK OFF MAH LAWN.

Except, in no way did I claim to have responded in the way I did based on physical appearance.  I merely asked if that would have honestly altered anyone else's response.

Knee-jerk much?

This is America, dammit.

Quote from: Nph. Twid. on October 05, 2011, 06:17:55 PM
You know, Trix, if you actually do decide to take her to small claims court, it should be daytime court TV. If we're going to do this like Americans, we're going to do it like motherfucking Americans!
[
I wouldn't bother.  I have gotten used to Eris fucking with me, and it doesn't really bother me that much anymore.

Well, at least that is what I tell myself.  My initial craving to cause bloody mayhem upon the person was of a caliber that might have made even TGRR cringe, however.  So perhaps I have merely learned to swallow the anger and take the pussier route.

Finding that out is part of why I posted this here.

Quote from: Triple Zero on October 05, 2011, 06:21:33 PM

Heh, that option was more for the lulz and possibly to piss someone off.  This is not a person I'd consider dating.

Quote from: Science me, babby on October 05, 2011, 06:27:51 PM
Jesus goddamn Christ.  I tried to read more thoroughly than scan it again, and I got to the second line and all I want to do is just push you down and start KICKING THE EVERLOVING SHIT out of your stupid ass in the hopes that maybe someday you'll be fit to live on my goddamn planet or that I nail you in the nads enough times that you won't be able to breed.

Goddamn it.

Having a bad day?
There's good news tonight.  And bad news.  First, the bad news: there is no good news.  Now, the good news: you don't have to listen to the bad news.
Zen Without Zen Masters

Quote from: Cain
Gender is a social construct.  As society, we get to choose your gender.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Triple Zero on October 05, 2011, 06:27:26 PM
"Kids, first she broke my laptop, then I broke the ice, and a year later her water!"

"We're both pretty careless like that! Always remember, no glove, no love."