News:

Doing everything exactly opposite from "The Mainstream" is the same thing as doing everything exactly like "The Mainstream."  You're still using What Everyone Else is Doing as your primary point of reference.

Main Menu

Police Mounted Cameras

Started by Chief Uwachiquen, December 20, 2009, 09:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chief Uwachiquen

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_california_police_cameras

Doing a test to see how effective they are in California first. I'm guessing if the test goes well and they can justify the cost they might put 'em into active use around the country.

I already don't like cameras but this takes it to the next, albeit logical, step.

Sometimes I wish I hadn't read 1984, fuckin' book made me aware of security cameras and why I shouldn't like them.  :argh!:

But yeah, what are your guys' thoughts on cameras on the officers, proper?

BabylonHoruv

looks like a good thing to me, especcially in California.  Keep he police from assaulting people.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Shibboleet The Annihilator

I think this is a good idea. It will keep cops in line and if someone is innocent these cameras might prevent them from being unjustly prosecuted.

The Good Reverend Roger

You're being watched, all the time.  This will protect you.

Please go stand by the stairs.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

So you'd rather the actions of our police go unmonitored and continue to rely heavily on their say-so of what occurred?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Slanket the Destroyer on December 20, 2009, 09:21:15 PM
So you'd rather the actions of our police go unmonitored and continue to rely heavily on their say-so of what occurred?

There's always a good reason for more surveillance.  It's for the children, or to watch the watchmen, or whatever.

The cops have ratcams on their dashboards already.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Chief Uwachiquen

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 20, 2009, 09:23:37 PM

There's always a good reason for more surveillance.  It's for the children, or to watch the watchmen, or whatever.

I was just thinking that, actually. Most police brutality happens right near their cars anyway, doesn't it? I mean, I have no real idea of how it all happens but that's the impression I've gotten. Of course it's entirely probable that I'm way off base, there.

There's always a good reason for more surveillance.  It's for the children, or to watch the watchmen, or whatever.

Sure, but they don't tape what the cop does. They tape whatever is in front of the car.

That said, without cameras recording police Rodney King would just be some lyin negro fella what had it comin to him as far as the public would have been concerned. Numerous other cases of police abusing their authority and using excessive force never would have come to light had it not been for the dashboard cam. Additionally, if someone lies about a good cop being abusive this camera would exonerate them. Hell, I keep something that can record video with me at all times just in case.

I guess I'll be by the stairs if anyone needs me.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Slanket the Destroyer on December 20, 2009, 09:31:11 PM

There's always a good reason for more surveillance.  It's for the children, or to watch the watchmen, or whatever.

Sure, but they don't tape what the cop does. They tape whatever is in front of the car.

That said, without cameras recording police Rodney King would just be some lyin negro fella what had it comin to him as far as the public would have been concerned. Numerous other cases of police abusing their authority and using excessive force never would have come to light had it not been for the dashboard cam. Additionally, if someone lies about a good cop being abusive this camera would exonerate them. Hell, I keep something that can record video with me at all times just in case.

I guess I'll be by the stairs if anyone needs me.

So we make the cops wear a ratcam.  They're small enough, now.

Elder Iptuous

the dashmounted cameras have been used to show people being abused by cops....
you haven't seen any of the wonderful youtubes of it?  intimidation, tasers and beatings, oh my...

however, i wonder how often the video is used in a selective and/or edited way to make what would, in full context, be seen as police abuse of authority instead appear that the victim is totally at fault.

I think these would be a great thing if the feeds are broadcasted so the copwatcher groups can keep tabs...

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Iptuous on December 20, 2009, 10:04:48 PM
the dashmounted cameras have been used to show people being abused by cops....
you haven't seen any of the wonderful youtubes of it?  intimidation, tasers and beatings, oh my...

however, i wonder how often the video is used in a selective and/or edited way to make what would, in full context, be seen as police abuse of authority instead appear that the victim is totally at fault.

I think these would be a great thing if the feeds are broadcasted so the copwatcher groups can keep tabs...

We have highway cams in Tucson.  I can log in and watch them anytime I want.  Our scanners are also on the internet.

maphdet

I always thought cameras were around everywhere anyway.

I really don't care either way-besides the fact that it is an ivasion of my privacy, technically I am in a public space and do not won the light that reflects off of me.

However-It is really fucked up that we need to put them up to 'monitor' the cops and citizens.
Fuck, what the hell happened and is happening to humanity.
:argh!:
I wish I was in Tijuana
Eating barbequed iguana-

Cameras on every corner are one thing, cameras observing the people given lots of authority are another.

Speaking of cameras on every corner, I heard a story about a city installing speed traps and then uninstalling them because they worked too well. Everyone stopped speeding and the city was no longer able to obtain any revenue from speeding tickets.

NotPublished

Its conflicting though hey.

Everyones just fucked, so whats one more thing going to do?

When will it ever cancel each other
In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: NotPublished on December 21, 2009, 02:16:41 AM
Its conflicting though hey.

Everyones just fucked, so whats one more thing going to do?

When will it ever cancel each other

wut