News:

Everyone who calls themselves "wolf-something" or "something-wolf" almost inevitably turns out to be an irredeemable shitneck.

Main Menu

Is this a joke?

Started by GrannySmith, August 07, 2013, 12:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrannySmith

A farce? Fake news? I'm confused. Especially given the name choice...SOYLENT?? at least it's not green?
:? :? :? :?
http://foxnewsinsider.com/2013/08/05/could-soylent-powder-replace-solid-food
  X  

Reginald Ret

Hmm, Can't tell anymore.
World has gotten too strange.
I mean, labgrown meat is a thing now, so why not this?
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

McGrupp

It's for real. I've read about the guy.

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/rob-rhinehart-no-longer-requires-food

It sounds neat, although the drawback is that it hardens into a paste after a day and the prep time seems like longer than it takes to just make a meal. Still could have some cool benefits once worked out, though.

One problem he will face is that medicine doesn't exactly agree on what nutrients we need and not everyone is the same in that regard.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

AS CHEAP AS A CUP OF COFFEE

The sounds of blind ignorant privilege... a cup of coffee in the US costs more than most poor people have for their daily food budget.

And where do these nutrient isolates come from? Oh yeah, from food.

HE IS MAKING FOOD. Just a particularly processed and sterile form of food.

Contrary to his misguided belief, the body is an amazingly efficient machine for processing the nutrients from food.

With efficient sustainable farming practices we could even feed four billion MORE people than are already on the planet. We have food production and distribution problems, but inability to produce the food we need is not one of them. I have the feeling that pretty much everyone on the planet would rather go vegetarian than switch to a diet of Soylent.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Junkenstein

QuoteOne problem he will face is that medicine doesn't exactly agree on what nutrients we need and not everyone is the same in that regard.

It would seem to be a fairly simple exercise to alter the required levels of nutrition. In many ways it seems quite close to nutriotion shakes and the like you would give to those undergoing radio/chemotherapy or the like.

To be blunt, I'd probably be the target market for this product. I'm fairly apathetic about eating at most times. When I do bother it tends not to be "healthy". At some point there will probably be visible indications of these things and this product would probably prevent/eliminate that.

I'd quite like to see this get to market really.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Junkenstein

QuoteHE IS MAKING FOOD. Just a particularly processed and sterile form of food.
Kinda. Like I mentioned above it's probably closer to a high nutrition drink than food. In fact, he states it tastes sweet which is quite typical of such drinks.

There's another similar product that junkies use when detoxing as it provides practically everything the body needs and these people have typically been deprived of all these things for quite some time.

Either way, I still think of that matrix scene whenever he describes the drink.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Junkenstein on August 07, 2013, 03:25:29 PM
QuoteOne problem he will face is that medicine doesn't exactly agree on what nutrients we need and not everyone is the same in that regard.

It would seem to be a fairly simple exercise to alter the required levels of nutrition. In many ways it seems quite close to nutriotion shakes and the like you would give to those undergoing radio/chemotherapy or the like.

To be blunt, I'd probably be the target market for this product. I'm fairly apathetic about eating at most times. When I do bother it tends not to be "healthy". At some point there will probably be visible indications of these things and this product would probably prevent/eliminate that.

I'd quite like to see this get to market really.

Human beings can survive, and even do OK, on a less-than-optimal diet (hey, I lived on cheeseburgers for a month and felt fine http://cheeseburgerexperiment.blogspot.com/), but scientists don't really understand nutrition that well, and on top of that the lack of enzymes and fiber in such a product seems like a recipe for future gut health problems including cancer.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Junkenstein on August 07, 2013, 03:29:28 PM
QuoteHE IS MAKING FOOD. Just a particularly processed and sterile form of food.
Kinda. Like I mentioned above it's probably closer to a high nutrition drink than food. In fact, he states it tastes sweet which is quite typical of such drinks.

There's another similar product that junkies use when detoxing as it provides practically everything the body needs and these people have typically been deprived of all these things for quite some time.

Liquid food is also food. Any significant calorie and nutrient source is a food. Protein shakes are food, that is why they call them "meal replacement". Sort of like how milk is food. The semantic distinction that it is food which you drink does not make it magically "not food".

Quotefood 
/fo͞od/
Noun
Any nutritious substance that people or animals eat or drink, or that plants absorb, in order to maintain life and growth.
Synonyms
nourishment - fare - nutriment - aliment - pabulum

McGrupp

Me too! Runny eggs. Also Farscape food cubes.

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on August 07, 2013, 03:06:29 PM
With efficient sustainable farming practices we could even feed four billion MORE people than are already on the planet. We have food production and distribution problems, but inability to produce the food we need is not one of them. I have the feeling that pretty much everyone on the planet would rather go vegetarian than switch to a diet of Soylent.

From a brief skim of his blog I get the impression that the feeding the poor was a marketing/attention grabbing afterthought to his 'I must never eat solids again' obsession. I didn't even think about the wasted byproduct of isolating the nutrients.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: McGrupp on August 07, 2013, 03:38:02 PM

Me too! Runny eggs. Also Farscape food cubes.

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on August 07, 2013, 03:06:29 PM

From a brief skim of his blog I get the impression that the feeding the poor was a marketing/attention grabbing afterthought to his 'I must never eat solids again' obsession. I didn't even think about the wasted byproduct of isolating the nutrients.

Plus, this has been done before, in the 1940's. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clifford_Clinton

QuoteClifford E. Clinton (August 3, 1900 – November 20, 1969) was a California restaurateur who founded Meals for Millions, one of two parent organizations of Freedom from Hunger, in 1946.

In 1944, Clinton asked Dr. Henry Borsook, a Caltech biochemist, to develop a food supplement that would provide proper nutritional values while costing no more than five cents per meal. Clinton offered $5,000 of his own money to finance the research. In less than one year, Dr. Borsook had developed Multi-Purpose Food (MPF), a high-protein food supplement that could be made for just three cents per meal. This led to the founding of Meals for Millions as a not-for-profit organization in 1946. During the next ten years, 6.5 million pounds of MPF were distributed to relief agencies in 129 countries, including the United States.

Clifford E. Clinton, was also owner of a restaurant named Clifton's Cafeteria, which still exists today in Los Angeles, CA.

I had a vintage can of MPF, until my ex left it at his roommate's house.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

So basically, the guy is making expensive protein shakes. Why people are even writing articles about it is beyond me.

Junkenstein

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on August 07, 2013, 03:42:20 PM
So basically, the guy is making expensive protein shakes. Why people are even writing articles about it is beyond me.

Yeah that pretty much covers it. There's the shiny "SCIENCE!" part where it's actually good (or at least not bad) for you, and it doesn't seem to make crazy health claims like slimming drinks do. Appreciate the correction on the sloppy thinking about food too.

McGrupp

Clifford Clinton seems much cooler than the soylent guy.

I think this guy got picked up by calling it 'soylent' and making the ridiculous 'no food' claim. (which I kinda knee jerked into buying myself.)

I guess no one will be impressed by my watermaker invention. It runs on ice.

Ben Shapiro

The guy needs to be reminded how excess protein can strain your kidneys.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Junkenstein on August 07, 2013, 04:46:16 PM
Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on August 07, 2013, 03:42:20 PM

Yeah that pretty much covers it. There's the shiny "SCIENCE!" part where it's actually good (or at least not bad) for you, and it doesn't seem to make crazy health claims like slimming drinks do. Appreciate the correction on the sloppy thinking about food too.

That's how they suck you in, all right; I seriously resent bad/sensationalist science writers, which is almost all of them.