News:

PD.com forums: a disorganized echo-chamber full of concordian, Greyfaced radical left-wing nutjobs who honestly believe they can take down imaginary Nazis by distributing flyers. They are highly-suspicious of all newcomers and hostile to almost everyone, including themselves. The only thing they don't take seriously is Discordianism.

Main Menu

Listening

Started by Adios, October 08, 2010, 09:42:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adios

Quote from: Alty on October 08, 2010, 11:14:54 PM
I enjoy Old Crow Medicine Show and Doc Watson.
Need myself a banjolele.

Even though he's country and not bluegrass, I feel I should point out that Wayne Hancock is fucking awesome.

And as to the OP, listening is a skill so many lack. Like the people to whom I must explain, and don't understand that Taylor Swift is not country...what are these people doing when that music reaches their brain?

MP3's lose much of the sound in favor of ease of portability. Which is nice, I like portability. But I like being able to listen to what a person created with their hands and soul (YEAH SOUL) more.

They are tennie boppers. Sadly they drive the market.

Kai

Quote from: Charley Brown on October 08, 2010, 10:08:07 PM
Google Foggy Mountain Breakdown, and turn the volume up.  :)

Damn I love bluegrass. And as much as I hate the south, at least they appreciate good music down here. Blugrass radio = win.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Adios

Quote from: Kai on October 08, 2010, 11:25:33 PM
Quote from: Charley Brown on October 08, 2010, 10:08:07 PM
Google Foggy Mountain Breakdown, and turn the volume up.  :)

Damn I love bluegrass. And as much as I hate the south, at least they appreciate good music down here. Blugrass radio = win.

Hell yes. Terri and I used to play it on the radio every Sunday when I owned Running Creek Grill. We were always packed for breakfast, and we found out half came to hear the radio.

Adios

Last Dance by Flyod Cramer.  :cry: Tearjerker.

Salty

Yeah I do not enjoy listening to that one. Though it's a good song.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Adios

Quote from: Doktor Blight on October 08, 2010, 11:08:23 PM
The youtube clip I found for that one had scrolling text offering RFD-TV denim caps to support "rural programming" which made me chuckle- reminds me of when I would go into record stores and see the rap, hip hop and the like lumped under "Urban." Made me think of Dolly Parton briefly as Gangsta Rap for country folk.

Are you a US spag?

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Charley Brown on October 09, 2010, 12:10:09 AM
The youtube clip I found for that one had scrolling text offering RFD-TV denim caps to support "rural programming" which made me chuckle- reminds me of when I would go into record stores and see the rap, hip hop and the like lumped under "Urban." Made me think of Dolly Parton briefly as Gangsta Rap for country folk.

Are you a US spag?

Yeah man, Boston, MA
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Adios

Quote from: Doktor Blight on October 09, 2010, 12:26:24 AM

Are you a US spag?

Yeah man, Boston, MA

Google bluegrass festivals, they are all over. Pack up your mandolin, many pickers will show you some tricks. :)

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Charley Brown on October 09, 2010, 12:28:27 AM
Quote from: Doktor Blight on October 09, 2010, 12:26:24 AM

Are you a US spag?

Yeah man, Boston, MA

Google bluegrass festivals, they are all over. Pack up your mandolin, many pickers will show you some tricks. :)

Boston Bluegrass Union came up pretty quick. Looks like I missed the most recent festival, but they have an events calendar.

Adios

As crazy as it may sound, you are in a bluegrass hotbed!  :lulz:

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Charley Brown on October 09, 2010, 12:43:39 AM
As crazy as it may sound, you are in a bluegrass hotbed!  :lulz:

It does sound crazy, but there's that calendar, full of stuff!

Adios

Hawk,
educating the young ITT.

Adios

Quote from: Doktor Blight on October 08, 2010, 10:27:16 PM
Good stuff!
Most of my exposure to mando has been through Zeppelin, The Tea Party (band), Irish folk music, and one Bruce Dickinson song, funny enough.

http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=26138.msg924139#msg924139
The mando still exists in later versions but is put through some pitch shifting and speed ups, which make it sound like some sort of synth thing.

That wasn't bad at all.

Roaring Biscuit!

this thread may or may not have influenced my decision to by a turntable.

x

edd

maphdet

Even though I am the farthest thing from christain-Oh do I love me some good ole bluegrass!

Doc and Scruggs here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUzVUNJKiDc

My uncle in law (Steveie) plays too- at festivals and such.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l63hTYfN_o  (he's the banjo player)

The freaking banjo and all of it just has that sound that makes your body want to move. I just love it.

Ah-thanks for this thread Charley Brown!
It has set the mood for my day today.
:)
I wish I was in Tijuana
Eating barbequed iguana-