News:

Feel my amazing brain. Go on, touch it!

Main Menu

Facebook group

Started by Adios, January 12, 2011, 07:04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

I'm really hoping some people unfriend me.  Many of them are ridiculous fans of my mom whom she suggested to me and I accepted en masse long ago.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Oh, totally! I've been friending bead ladies left and right because I was afraid to alienate them, but I kinda don't care so much right now. Either they recognize the genius or they GTFO.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Pæs

Any techspags know how to add all your friends at once, or are the mass-adds being done manually? I can add everyone to a group/page, but it's a different menu for these groups.

Jasper

I did it "by hand".  ROUGHIN' IT!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Yeah, you can only do it by hand.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Triple Zero

Quote from: Nigel on January 14, 2011, 06:17:52 AM
Isn't it GREAT? I am highly amused and surprised by which of my friends are delighted by it and which hate it and unfriended me.  :lulz:

Great way to filter out your uncool friends without having to manually consider them and unfriend them :D :D

(although I dunno, even if someone signed me up for a group I'd agree with or enjoy, I still would be pissed off if it suddenly turned out to have swamped my email inbox) (actually, no I wouldn't because I'd probably already filtered all facebook emails into a separate folder, mark them read and skip my inbox altogether)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cramulus

Since a few people have suspected me of trying to split PD or kill IRC or something, I just want to be clear about my motivation in starting the DS2011 FB group -- it has nothing to do with PD. In fact, most of the people in it are not PD members. Of the first 80 people I added, It was about 40% PD, 40% random Discordians I know from the net (writers, bloggers, pranksters, etc), 20% people I know in meatspace. I wanted to see what happened if I plugged them all into the same communication node.

My hopes aren't too lofty - from what I can tell, these FB groups are basically noise generators. The medium encourages short, pithy communications, not in depth discussions. If something emerges from the disorder, that'll be cool, but I'm not holding my breath.

One thing I thought was pretty cool: There's a dude who wanted to print a version of the PD on lulu press. He realized that to do a hardcover, he needs another 20 pages of material... so rather than inserting Kerry or RAW's intro piece, he's taking submission for new stuff to put in there. That's bad ass!

But no, I don't think the discordian society 2011 facebook group is a replacement for this community -- nor do I think we should hold back from generating new types of Discordian Societies in order to protect this one.

East Coast Hustle

I already can't tell the difference between the Facebook discordians and the Myspace Discordians.

LOL CALENDAR! I ARE TEH STONER!
\
:hippie:
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

StochasticProvost

Quote from: Cramulus on January 14, 2011, 02:50:50 PM
My hopes aren't too lofty - from what I can tell, these FB groups are basically noise generators. The medium encourages short, pithy communications, not in depth discussions. If something emerges from the disorder, that'll be cool, but I'm not holding my breath.

You misspelled "noise generators and sources of endless bitching, mindless bawww-ing, and voluminous references to how people are too cool for FB and anyway the group is just useless bullshit that any real discordian would never use and fuck you Cramulus"

I expect a full retraction.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Cramulus on January 14, 2011, 02:50:50 PM
nor do I think we should hold back from generating new types of Discordian Societies in order to protect this one.

:mittens:

I agree with this comment, especially the quoted bit.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cramulus

FB groups are noise generators and sources of endless bitching, mindless bawww-ing, and voluminous references to how people are too cool for FB and anyway the group is just useless bullshit that any real discordian would never use and fuck you Cramulus. I think most of them are like that. Rog and Lys and I were trolling in another group called Transhuman Separatists, and it seemed much the same as the DS2011. (edit: actually they were bigger douchebags because their group comes with more serious ideological baggage)

you are also seeing trolls trolling trolls - to varying degrees of success.

as for the myspace discordians -- well, they were led by Yatto.  :p

During the Party at Limbo Peak, Yatto submitted literally 44 pages of text, a straight copy and paste from his myspace group. Of that, this was the only material that was relatively coherent. I think our signal to noise ratio is a little bit higher than that, but that's not really the point anyway.

What is the point?

Another part of it goes back to my first reading of the Principia at age 16. I desperately wanted to know if there really was a Discordian Society, or it was just this shit they wrote about as a joke in the 1960s. And I pledged that if none existed, I'd just act like there was a real Discordian Society until it became true.

So here we are! I hope nobody was expecting that everybody would be, like, characters from Illuminatus or something.  :lol:

StochasticProvost

Yeah. I think it's a good thing, or at least a fun thing. And has led to some actual good things, like the hardcover PD that guy is doing.

Just (already!) tired of the relentless negativity, even after the whopping 2 days I've been in it.

Like, enjoy it if you want, troll it if you want, but if you're just gonna cry, STFU y'know?

But I guess I don't get an opinion cause I'm new around here, so kill me.

LMNO

Quote from: MisterDiskord on January 14, 2011, 03:13:32 PM
Just (already!) tired of the relentless negativity, even after the whopping 2 days I've been in it.

I'm now really glad that while I may have been forcibly joined, I have never looked at this group.

Adios

Hey Cram. That's not what I was doing. I simply wanted to know if it had a purpose and if it did what it was. The noise from it was like a bell ringing non-stop in my ear. After I did not receive an answer I simply left the group.

I only have one functioning nerve left and some ass spag from another place was already standing on it.

This was not personal.

Cramulus

Quote from: MisterDiskord on January 14, 2011, 03:13:32 PM

Like, enjoy it if you want, troll it if you want, but if you're just gonna cry, STFU y'know?

you make a good point. There seem to be a few different ways to use the group:

1. trolling other discordians
2. posting stuff other discordians might want to read or see
3. gnashing about how the group is not what you want it to be or how the people in it are the wrong type of Discordians

right now there's a lot of people doing #1 and #3!

though honestly, not that different from the drama cycle present at this board. Meh!

:pax: