News:

Doing everything exactly opposite from "The Mainstream" is the same thing as doing everything exactly like "The Mainstream."  You're still using What Everyone Else is Doing as your primary point of reference.

Main Menu

Here's an unoriginal idea

Started by monad, February 24, 2014, 10:58:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Pæs on February 24, 2014, 11:28:50 AM
The least you could have done is give it a while to develop your persona and some credibility, build up our expectations that you might not be utterly worthless, before pulling the "YOU'RE DOING DISCORDIA WRONG" card. Seriously, what is it with trolls these days and blowing their load at the first sign of skin?

Kids these days.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on February 24, 2014, 03:13:52 PM
The least you could have done is give it a while to develop your persona and some credibility, build up our expectations that you might not be utterly worthless, before pulling the "YOU'RE DOING DISCORDIA WRONG" card. Seriously, what is it with trolls these days and blowing their load at the first sign of skin?

Kids these days.

At least this one is trying.  He has to tell us WHAT.

Which is better than the last 2-3, who just sat their and whimpered.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Faust on February 24, 2014, 03:13:30 PM
He probably never even knew this site existed.

Of course principiadiscordia.com is the be all and end all of discordianism and as such should be differed to as the Authority on all things Discordian.

Are those numbers by month or total?

Because, you know, it's only February.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

A lot of the people who used to post hundreds of times a day (ie. me) are still here, but posting less because life.

IME a forum needs at least 2-3 very prolific daily posters who get along, and a minimum of two prolific posters who hate each other. This forms a backbone that supports all the come-and-go and lighter posters.

But the bottom line really is that this oldschool forum format isn't very popular anymore, and I think people are migrating to the low-pressure low-effort, less-engagement-required formats provided by Reddit and Facebook. I mean, even I don't even bother trolling webforums anymore, Facebook groups are where it's at when it comes to making people dig in their heels and screech. On the other hand, our members have produced how many publications? I haven't even gotten much by way of contributions for Bitter Tea from the thousands of Facebook members. I think I got one, whereas I think members here have contributed enough for a pretty solid volume in the last year.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: monad on February 24, 2014, 10:58:24 AM
You guys are killing this forum and through it, Dischordianism itself.

I want to kill "Dischordianism".  I want to stake its fucking heart, stick it in a steamer trunk, and hide it in Waffle Iron's attic.

I also wish to do the same thing to anyone who would mangle the English language by spelling Discordianism with the extra "h" that has no fucking business hanging out there.

You fucking Facebook hippies are all the same.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on February 24, 2014, 03:20:41 PM

Kids these days.

This is true. At least he gave it a good college try.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on February 24, 2014, 03:30:04 PM

Kids these days.

But not like, say, Poptard or AKK.  Now THERE were a couple of spags.  Olympic-level moaners that dominated half the board before finally exploding.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Since we're using postcounts to prove something, when did postcount skyrocket? 2007. When did I get here? 2007. When did post count really drop off? 2012. When did I go back to school, hence no longer having time to sit here and post all day?

That's right. 2012.

It's all me, Monad.

Allllll me.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on February 24, 2014, 03:31:31 PM

Kids these days.

But not like, say, Poptard or AKK.  Now THERE were a couple of spags.  Olympic-level moaners that dominated half the board before finally exploding.

AKK, really, for sure. Poptard was too repetitive.

I still have an old soft spot in my heart for Dead Kennedy.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I will say that I still, by far, prefer the oldest-first threaded discussion forum format in terms of interesting conversations that can easily be revisited. Every time one platform dies I spend a while seeking a new one.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on February 24, 2014, 03:33:54 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on February 24, 2014, 03:31:31 PM

Kids these days.

AKK, really, for sure. Poptard was too repetitive.

I still have an old soft spot in my heart for Dead Kennedy.

Yes, he was a wretched little misogynist, but he was completely serious about it, and that made me giggle my horribly scarred ass right off.

Faust

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on February 24, 2014, 03:26:12 PM
Quote from: Faust on February 24, 2014, 03:13:30 PM
He probably never even knew this site existed.

Of course principiadiscordia.com is the be all and end all of discordianism and as such should be differed to as the Authority on all things Discordian.

Are those numbers by month or total?

Because, you know, it's only February.
Month on month, and yearly:

http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?action=stats

So I wouldn't include february but if we look at January

Topics:123    Posts:5081    Members:22    Most online:66

and 2013
Topics:131    Posts:5249    members:31    Most online:107

On a par
but
Topics299    posts:10175    members:35    most online:49

But that's just January, if you look year on year on average there is marked and steady reduction in the number of new members and a marked and steady reduction in the number of posts by existing members since about 2008

Part of it is forum technology isn't as nice as other sites (though it remains by far the best way to engage with large groups of people on complex issues)
and most forums have seen a decline.

The other part is culture: we don't have that many hooks to drag people in any more, the forum invasions, postergasms, and organge eating contests really bring people in and retain them. It hasn't much to do with hostility or circlejerks or anything, just a matter of hooking new people, and retaining them.

Sleepless nights at the chateau

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Faust on February 24, 2014, 03:42:56 PM
The other part is culture: we don't have that many hooks to drag people in any more, the forum invasions, postergasms, and organge eating contests really bring people in and retain them. It hasn't much to do with hostility or circlejerks or anything, just a matter of hooking new people, and retaining them.

Most of our driven regulars are at FB, is why.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on February 24, 2014, 03:36:41 PM
I will say that I still, by far, prefer the oldest-first threaded discussion forum format in terms of interesting conversations that can easily be revisited. Every time one platform dies I spend a while seeking a new one.

Yeah, I'm not going anywhere, either.

Faust

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on February 24, 2014, 03:43:50 PM
Quote from: Faust on February 24, 2014, 03:42:56 PM

Most of our driven regulars are at FB, is why.

I don't agree, I've been monitoring them for some time to validate this when it was said previously. Placid dingo is definitely active in his stuff, and he is doing some cool shit like visiting discordians and discordian projects etc so he is one person who definitely is more active there but I can't really fault him on that, things were difficult for him here, and for the sakes of this thread I would like to limit the history of that to it being down to creative differences.

Cramulus posts occasionally over there but not to a huge extent, maybe once or twice a week. I'd say he posts here about as much if not more. He is dreamy *Sigh* and great at getting people involved. We need to weaponise his essence, like some kind of pharamone musk.

There may be others from here who went over that I don't recognise but I'm not sure.

Part of it could also be that people just put less effort into things now adays. If you look at the kind of shit that is posted on facebook, it tends to be one liner comments on news items, links and youtube. Comments are just summed up by Liking something. It allows you to interact with others without you know, actually interacting with them.
Sleepless nights at the chateau