News:

If you really want to hurt your parents, and you don't have the nerve to be a homosexual, the least you can do is go into the arts. But do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites, standing for absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college.

Main Menu

I have the greatest book EVER

Started by Cain, August 12, 2007, 05:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Go out and buy "Black Swan" by Naseem Taleb.

Right now.

No excuses.

A book that explains how "black swans" (near-unpredictable events that forever alter the fields they are involved in) develop and unfold.  For example, 9/11 was a black swan.  It covers why unpredictability will always be the primary motivator of world events and how ineffectual the majority of social sciences are at coming to terms with this.  It includes a lot of psychology and philosophy, too.

Probably about the most Discordian book I have seen since the PD.  It encapsulates many of the ideas of creative disorder and the BIP perfectly.

Mangrove

Quote from: Cain on August 12, 2007, 05:14:15 PM
Go out and buy "Black Swan" by Naseem Taleb.

Right now.

No excuses.

A book that explains how "black swans" (near-unpredictable events that forever alter the fields they are involved in) develop and unfold.  For example, 9/11 was a black swan.  It covers why unpredictability will always be the primary motivator of world events and how ineffectual the majority of social sciences are at coming to terms with this.  It includes a lot of psychology and philosophy, too.

Probably about the most Discordian book I have seen since the PD.  It encapsulates many of the ideas of creative disorder and the BIP perfectly.

Thanks for the tip, Cain. I've seen this book and was kind of tempted by it. I'll shift it from the 'maybe' to 'purchase' category.
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Thurnez Isa

I looked for it via my local bookstore, but came up empty...
I may have to get it via when i make my next amazon order the begining of next month....
also his older book "Fooled By Randomness: The Hidden Role of Chance in Life and in the Markets" actually seems much more interesting then the title suggests, and got good reader reviews
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Richter

Just starting in on it and Cain does not overstate.  First thing I've read in awhile that's intersting, and has started me thinking on a 6 AM train. 
I'm already having allot of fun with the contrasting to Plato's Forms (still in the prologue). 
I need to get out of work so I can read / discuss this more.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Cramulus

Alright Cain I'm ordering it.
But if you want me to continue doing your nefarious bidding I'm going to need some benefits. Like a dental plan or something.

Suu

Richter was raving about this book today.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Cain

I was reading the book in my break today.  The man is a natural born Discordian saint.

I'm going to email him, once I;ve finished it.

Suu

I'll have to gank it from Richter when he's done then.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

That One Guy

Ordered. Looks like a fascinating book, and I can't wait to dive in.
People of the United States! We are Unitarian Jihad! We can strike without warning. Pockets of reasonableness and harmony will appear as if from nowhere! Nice people will run the government again! There will be coffee and cookies in the Gandhi Room after the revolution.

Arguing with a Unitarian Universalist is like mud wrestling a pig. Pretty soon you realize the pig likes it.

That One Guy

I am now on part 2, about 150ish pages in, and this book is really amazing. It's incredibly densely packed with goodness, and really, really great. I've been taking it slowly to really absorb all the info he's working in to each part, chapter and section since it's so dense with quality. Well worth taking the time to really dig into.

I really have to echo Cain's statements in that it echoes a lot of what we've worked around and with in both the BIP and the creative disorder concepts.

Read it as soon as you can - you won't be sorry.
People of the United States! We are Unitarian Jihad! We can strike without warning. Pockets of reasonableness and harmony will appear as if from nowhere! Nice people will run the government again! There will be coffee and cookies in the Gandhi Room after the revolution.

Arguing with a Unitarian Universalist is like mud wrestling a pig. Pretty soon you realize the pig likes it.

trippinprincezz13

Looked it up on Amazon, and looks like another to add to my list of things to read. I'm going to have to see if I can find it at the library since, although it's relatively new, my library does get in some new works and I'm a bit strapped for cash at the time.

Soon as I can get my hands on it though, I'll be giving it a read.
There's no sun shine coming through her ass, if you are sure of your penis.

Paranoia is a disease unto itself, and may I add, the person standing next to you, may not be who they appear to be, so take precaution.

If there is no order in your sexual life it may be difficult to stay with a whole skin.

Cramulus

I ordered this, Syn's hardcover Principia, and pre-ordered the Perry Bible Fellowship book.

In 3-5 days I will be illuminated.

That One Guy

PBF has a BOOK!?!?

Must ... get ... awesomeness ...

nurbldoff

Funny, I just made a book order an hour ago for the first time in months... I sent them an email to add this book now, so with any luck it'll be in my hands later this week.
Nature is the great teacher. Who is the principal?

Cramulus

My copy just arrived last night. I've had time to devour the prologue and the first 17 pages. You're right Cain, this is prime Discordian material and thanks for the tip.

Is the prologue hosted online anywhere? If not, I'd be happy to scan it and post as PDF