News:

You know what I always say? "Always kill the mouthy one", that's what I always say.

Main Menu

NANOWRIMO OPERATION:BRAINSTORM

Started by LMNO, October 08, 2008, 07:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richter

Quote from: LMNO on October 10, 2008, 03:47:12 PM
Quote from: Richter on October 10, 2008, 03:35:00 PM
Quote from: LMNO on October 10, 2008, 03:15:22 PM
I smell Joyce...

It's been done before, eh?

That doesn't matter, just as long as you're aware of it.  Hell, you referenced "Grounhog Day".

I like it.  I was gonna try to do a completely ordinary day, but from the angle of BIP; but the structuring would be too precise to do 50k in 30 days.

Groundhog Day Meets Tarantino, with some more realistic "Butterfly Effect".
(The BIP person isn't going to do / see the same things as the paranoid survivalist person's day, kind of)

It also lets me wimp out by stringing together short stories.

Quote from: Suu on October 10, 2008, 04:12:37 PM
I think the purpose of this IS to blurt out nonsense because it's an exercise in wracking your brain.

Yes.  This.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Triple Zero

So, let's assume I decide to participate at the last moment (which i won't, most likely), I'll start with "So there were this bunch of robots ..." and then a whole lot of nonsense in which almost everything EXPLODES after a lifespan of no more than a few paragraphs ... will that run me out of steam before 50k? what would go wrong?

".. and then robot John was a robot zombie. and he EXPLODED. THE END!"
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Suu

So change topic half way through. No one is reading it, it's about word count, not story quality.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Cain

Reminder: we now have a chat room.

#nanowrimo

On the maddshark server.  Feel free to invite people not on the forum.

LMNO

knowing me, I probably shouldn't be typing anything that ISN'T the novel in Nov.

Cain

Its only 1667 words per day.

You should be able to do that in 2 hours, 3 at worst.

LMNO

I'm trying to be realistic, that I probably won't be able to get to it every day. I'm estimating that the days I can do it, I'll need about 3000.

Cain

I'm planning on doing closer to 2000 words a day and taking the weekend off.

Besides, I know I will write more in the first week and the last week than I will in the middle two, possibly double of what I need to.  The enthusiasm of starting/the desire to finish will probably spur on ideas and the drive to complete it far beyond the necessary daily requirements.  Once I'm in the writing zone, I can easily see myself getting way ahead of what is needed, at least for a while.

Verbal Mike

Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Oh goddess, you mean I won't be the only one writing a discordian-themed book for NaNo this year? OUTSTANDING!

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

LMNO

ok, here's the thing: am I tryng to write 50k words in 30 days, or am I trying to write a 50k word story in 30 days? I ask because I'm pretty sure that free writing for days on end will get really meta, "there he goes, writing about not knowing what to write about again" type of internal dialogue spewed on the page.

Suu

Quote from: Enki-][ on October 17, 2008, 10:47:42 PM
Oh goddess, you mean I won't be the only one writing a discordian-themed book for NaNo this year? OUTSTANDING!

Oh goddess, you mean to thing that in a crunch of a month with thousands of others you'd be doing something ORIGINAL?

Quote from: LMNO on October 18, 2008, 03:06:41 AM
ok, here's the thing: am I tryng to write 50k words in 30 days, or am I trying to write a 50k word story in 30 days? I ask because I'm pretty sure that free writing for days on end will get really meta, "there he goes, writing about not knowing what to write about again" type of internal dialogue spewed on the page.

You're supposed to attempt a story in 50,000 words, it doesn't have to be good.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

LMNO

this is gonna be really hard, isn't it?

Eve

Depends how much you care about it being 50,000 words of good writing. Plenty of people plan to write well and succeed; personally, my priorities are roughly 95% word count, 5% story line.
Emotionally crippled narcissist.

LMNO

I think that in November, the majority of my posts here will
Be nanowrimo updates. All free time should be novel; the odd fact that the majority of my posts are from work means I have fractions of time to write tone poems of thought.