News:

I liked how they introduced her, like "her mother died in an insane asylum thinking she was Queen Victoria" and my thought was, I like where I think this is going. I was not disappointed.

Main Menu

Jazz: srs fucking business

Started by Cain, December 10, 2009, 08:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brotep

Quote from: Triple Zero on December 16, 2009, 10:07:55 AM
Quote from: Brotep on December 16, 2009, 09:26:21 AM
nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

check out "Hard Normal Daddy"

E8 BOOGIE http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBgn8QxYB6U (sound quality is pretty horrible btw, especially the crashes)

be sure to turn it up for the jaw dropping solo at 1:30

I have no idea if it's jazz btw, dunno what's the definition. But it is some guy doing absolutely crazy (and I assume improv too) stuff on his bass guitar, and I believe jazz has that too.

And uh, I can't really recommend the album "Do You Know Squarepusher", it's (IMO) one of the lesser accessible and more abstract and electronic albums, his older stuff is also more into the drum'nbass/glitchcore electronica [which are awesome in their own ways], but fortunately the newer albums (after "Do You Know Squarepusher") go back to the "Hard Normal Daddy" style bass guitar jams, but this time with a good dose of electronic bleeps and breaks too.

one more track, also with an awesome Chris Cunningham video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxEb2FrQUbE

AND ONE MROE BECAUSE YAY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-pyIezB33c

Haha, Come On My Selector has an awesome video.

This music is pretty great for typing shit up like I am right now, by the way.

Quote from: RWHNFor me, music either has soul or it doesn't.
Incidentally, this is one of the main problems I have with J-Pop.

Quote from: RCHTHIS. I can tell when a guitar player is "getting it" or when he can just play alot of notes really fast.
Yeah, this is one of the reasons I got pissed off when I was learning harmonica and people demanded that I play Blues Traveler songs.  Yes, John Popper can play really fucking fast.  No, I couldn't play that fast.  But, he doesn't play with soul.  If you're not savoring the notes as you play them, the product is little more than diarrhea.

AFK

Quote from: Epimetheus on December 16, 2009, 10:00:37 PM
I don't get the comparison of rock and jazz to wanking. Isn't it obvious that all music is wanking?

No.  Unless you count the Ramones using 4 chords in a song, instead of 3, wanking. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

LMNO

Howabout the Ramones using a Glockenspiel?

AFK

LMNO

Lucky for them, it was in a damn good song ("Bonzo Goes to Bitburg/My Brain Is Hanging Upside Down").

AFK

I don't think I've heard that one.  Time to go YouTubing.  

ETA:  Okay, that's a fucking good song.  I really need to get more Ramones in my music collection. 

LMNO

You really only need 3 albums, Ramones, Rocket to Russia and Animal Boy.

Actually, you probably only really need Ramones Mania, but there are a few B-sides and also-rans I like on the albums themselves ("Havana Affair" is probably one of the best-least-known Ramones songs off the first album).

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: LMNO on December 17, 2009, 02:04:16 PM
Lucky for them, it was in a damn good song ("Bonzo Goes to Bitburg/My Brain Is Hanging Upside Down").

their best song, by far (somebody put something in my drink is a sorta close second).

my old band used to cover that one.

sadly, it was more popular than most of our original songs.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"