News:

PD.com: We have 73 Virgins!

Main Menu

Obama hates Charlie Brown

Started by Iason Ouabache, December 04, 2009, 11:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iason Ouabache

http://www.salon.com/politics/war_room/2009/12/04/wiseman/index.html

QuotePeople try to make some very, very silly things into issues in politics. Like the timing of President Obama's speech about Afghanistan on Tuesday night, which happened to coincide with -- and thus preempt -- showings of "A Charlie Brown Christmas Special."

In a saner world, this would have been a total non-story. (Among the numerous reasons that this is a total non-story: Assuming there is still someone living in the U.S. who hasn't seen the special, it will be replayed. Many, many times. Every year.) But people like Matt Drudge picked it up and ran with it anyway, and now we can see the results.

The Memphis Commercial Appeal reports that Russell Wiseman, the mayor of Arlington, Tenn., took to his Facebook page to weigh in, and to give his theory for why Obama timed the speech as he did. From Wiseman's post:

QuoteOk, so, this is total crap, we sit the kids down to watch "The Charlie Brown Christmas Special" and our muslim president is there, what a load.....try to convince me that wasn't done on purpose. Ask the man if he believes that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and he will give you a 10 minute disertation about it....w...hen the answer should simply be "yes"

Wiseman went on to add such gems as, "you obama people need to move to a muslim country...oh wait, that's America....pitiful" and, "you know, our forefathers had it written in the original Constitution that ONLY property owners could vote, if that has stayed in there, things would be different........"

Contacted by the Commercial Appeal, Wiseman told the paper, "You guys are trying to make a mountain out of a molehill."
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Requia ☣

I am correct in that the 'only property owners could vote' bit is 100% bullshit right?

There were poll taxes, but I have never seen anything indicating that owning property mattered.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Iason Ouabache

Voting laws back then were determined by the states. It was just property-owning white males up until the 1820s when white men without property could vote. Then non-whites in 1870, women in 1920, poll tax eliminated in 1964, voting age dropped to 18 in 1971. So basically with his comment he is saying "fuck you" to poor people, minorities, women, and people aged 18-21. Not a great political strategy.
    \

Freeky

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on December 05, 2009, 01:28:50 AM
Voting laws back then were determined by the states. It was just property-owning white males up until the 1820s when white men without property could vote. Then non-whites in 1870, women in 1920, poll tax eliminated in 1964, voting age dropped to 18 in 1971. So basically with his comment he is saying "fuck you" to poor people, minorities, women, and people aged 18-21. Not a great political strategy.
But how many people will see it that way? I kind of think it's unlikely that many will, they'll be pissed because their special got canceled.

The whole thing makes me a bit angry because it so stupid and people will believe anything they want, reading crap like that. I can already hear the "Yeah, why's Obama hate Charlie Brown?" now...

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Mistress Freeky on December 05, 2009, 01:48:32 AM
Quote from: Iason Ouabache on December 05, 2009, 01:28:50 AM
But how many people will see it that way? I kind of think it's unlikely that many will, they'll be pissed because their special got canceled.

The whole thing makes me a bit angry because it so stupid and people will believe anything they want, reading crap like that. I can already hear the "Yeah, why's Obama hate Charlie Brown?" now...
1) Fuck them for being stupid cunts.
2) Fuck him for thinking a shitty Xmas special is more important that the war in Afghanistan.
3) Fuck him for not going down to the Wal-Mart and picking up the DVD for $15. Or simply waiting for ABC Family to show it 20 times before Christmas.
4) Fuck him thinking that Obama is a Muslim. And for thinking that it would be a horrible thing if he was.
5) And finally, fuck him for insinuating that roughly 75% of the population shouldn't have the right to vote.
    \

Halfbaked1

This is why there should be IQ tests before people are allowed to run for office. 

"You can only be THIS stupid to run for public office."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Halfbaked1 on December 05, 2009, 08:23:34 AM
This is why there should be IQ tests before people are allowed to run for office. 

"You can only be THIS stupid to run for public office."

Fuck off.

"You must be at least THIS stupid to run for public office."
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

AFK

There's another way to look at it. 

The Charlie Brown Christmas special has to be single-handedly one of the most depressing Christmas Specials ever made.  Everybody is fucking miserable in that thing.  And then fucking Linus makes it worse with his proselytizing.  Obama did everyone a favor by interrupting that thing. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Iason Ouabache

Ooh, it get's better. He had an e-mail exchange with a blogger that was pretty interesting:

http://sobeale.blogspot.com/2009/12/rick-kelley-is-my-new-hero.html

QuoteMr. Mayor.

Please refrain from making remarks of such a profoundly ignorant and racist nature on a forum that will allow you to reflect on the state of Tennessee in such a way. You are an embarrassment to thinking people everywhere, and the fact that your idiocy has been picked up by the Tennesseean and will inevitably end up on the national media might cause the rest of the country, and the world, to think that all Tennesseans are as reprehensible, backwards, and moronic as you.

I hope you at least weren't wearing your Klan robe in your facebook profile picture.

You pinhead.

Sincerely,

Rick Kelly

QuoteMr. Kelly,

America is still a free country and every American has the right to free speech. You should know this coming from a family of liberal fuckheads. Anytime that you're ready, you should relocate northward as you're an embarassment to the South. Your sensibilities would be more appreciated there, you sad little single man.

Just take care the next time that you or your brother James pass through Arlington. We'll skin you both alive and use your combined blubber to fuel the oil lamps on our thoroughfares on into the 22nd century.

All the best,

City of Arlington

What a prick!
    \

LMNO

If I'm not mistaken, that is a credible threat against Rick.  That could easily be considered a crime.

The Good Reverend Roger

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on December 08, 2009, 05:14:49 PM
If I'm not mistaken, that is a credible threat against Rick.  That could easily be considered a crime.

Not in Tennessee.

LMNO

What sucks is that I actually enjoy Mepmphis, and Nashville.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on December 08, 2009, 05:17:00 PM
What sucks is that I actually enjoy Mepmphis, and Nashville.

But that is the state that spawned Hunter S Thompson...and he was the most civilized example. 

The horror.

Da6s

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2009/dec/08/tenn-mayor-apologizes-obama-facebook-comment/

QuoteThe town also issued a statement on its Web site saying the mayor's views do not reflect its official ideals and beliefs.

Wiseman has since deleted his Facebook account.

Just our local news coverage on the aftermath of the idiots i share this state with.

Must. Get. Out.
We appear to be doomed by our DNA to repeat the same destructive behaviors our forebears have repeated for millenia. If anything our problem solving skills have actually diminished with the advent of technology & our ubiquitous modern conveniences. & yet despite our predisposition towards fear-driven hostility; towards what we anachronistically term primitive behavior another instinct is just as firmly encoded in our make-up. We are capable as our ancestors were of incredible breathtaking acts of kindness. Every hour of every day a man risks his life at a moments notice to save another. Forget for a moment the belligerent benevolent billionaires who grant the unfortunate a crumb of costfree cake. I speak of pure acts of selflessness. A Mother who rushes into the street to save a child from a speeding vehicle. A person who runs into a burning building to reach a family trapped on the upper story. Such actions,such moments,such unconscious selfless decisions,define what it is to be human