News:

I know you said that you wouldn't tolerate excuses, but I have a real good one.

Main Menu

Fact check, Plz.

Started by LMNO, December 11, 2009, 04:34:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

In Oslo, Obama said, "America has never fought a war against a democracy."

I'm thinking this isn't quite right.

If we exclude states with rigged voting and dubious election practices, however, are there any instances?

LMNO
-Military history fail.

The Johnny

Mexico? Maybe it was during the Empire do...
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: LMNO on December 11, 2009, 04:34:23 PM

If we exclude states with rigged voting and dubious election practices, however, are there any instances?

LMNO
-Military history fail.

Well, I suppose the Civil War would fall into that category.  But otherwise, I don't think we have.

http://americanhistory.about.com/library/timelines/bltimelineuswars.htm

^^^ Give a timeline and the countries the US has fought against.....

MMIX

[diffident cough] er -no taxation without representation . . .
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on December 11, 2009, 04:34:23 PM

LMNO
-Military history fail.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_involving_the_United_States

Phillipine/American war, 1899-1913

QuoteThe June 12 declaration of Philippine independence had not been recognized by either the United States or Spain, and the Spanish government ceded the Philippines to the United States in the 1898 Treaty of Paris, which was signed on December 10, 1898, in consideration for an indemnity for Spanish expenses and assets lost.

On January 1, 1899 Aguinaldo was declared President of the Philippines — the only president of what would be later called the First Philippine Republic. He later organized a Congress at Malolos, Bulacan to draft a constitution.[30]

Admiral Dewey later argued that he had promised nothing regarding the future:

"From my observation of Aguinaldo and his advisers I decided that it would be unwise to co-operate with him or his adherents in an official manner... In short, my policy was to avoid any entangling alliance with the insurgents, while I appreciated that, pending the arrival of our troops, they might be of service."[23]

The first shots were fired by the American side.

Next:

Nicaragua:  1909-1933

Costa Rica: 1965  (Technically not a democracy at the time...we intervened to stop an army-led drive to overthrow a dictator and reinstall democracy.

Most of the rest of the "banana wars" from 1907-1934 were also against democracies who didn't want to do business with us on United Fruit's (now DelMonte) terms.

There are others, but those are the most glaring examples.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Also, the Bosnian Conflict (Serbia was a democracy in the 90s).

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

LMNO

Would the war of 1812 count?

Reginald Ret

proof ITT:
Knowledge leads to RAGE
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

The Johnny

<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on December 11, 2009, 04:54:23 PM

No, at the time, Canada was part of England, and was as such a constitutional monarchy.

LMNO

Gotcha.

Didn't we bomb Panama at some point?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Regret on December 11, 2009, 04:57:04 PM
proof ITT:
Knowledge leads to RAGE

Want MORE rage?

Google "Phillipine-American war" and read.

Good thing we didn't make Milosovich look like an angel, or anything.

"Shoot everyone over the age of 10."
- order from General Jacob H Smith, 1902.

Also, moar torture, pls:

QuoteUnited States attacks into the countryside often included scorched earth campaigns where entire villages were burned and destroyed, torture (water cure) and the concentration of civilians into "protected zones" (concentration camps). Many of the civilian casualties resulted from disease and famine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phillipine_American_war

Doesn't that make you want to eat stars and shit stripes?

What?  You want MORE Slack™?

MMIX

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 11, 2009, 05:05:41 PM

No, at the time, Canada and England, were part of Britain and as such were part of a constitutional monarchy.

fixed to fit the thread title 
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: MMIX on December 11, 2009, 05:14:37 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 11, 2009, 05:05:41 PM

No, at the time, Canada and England, were part of Britain and as such were part of a constitutional monarchy.

fixed to fit the thread title 

I didn't realize the thread title was "PEDANTIC PRICKS ITT".

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on December 11, 2009, 05:07:13 PM
Gotcha.

Didn't we bomb Panama at some point?

We invaded Panama in 1989 to throw out a dictator we installed.

As for the CREATION of Panama, see "Invasion of Nicaragua", above.