News:

CAN'T A BROTHER GET A LITTLE PEACE?

Main Menu

weird money idea

Started by rong, January 20, 2014, 01:36:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junkenstein

To be honest Rong, I usually find you quite interesting and amusing. The above was partly for my own benefit as I've had a lot of profound/wonderful ideas when working nights and without exception they have all been shit.

Except maybe the anti-oven, I still think there may be mileage in that somehow if physics would just SHUT UP.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

rong

I want to hear about the anti-oven
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

LMNO

Quote from: rong on January 22, 2014, 04:13:56 PM
I want to hear about the anti-oven

Like this?

QuoteThe anti-griddle maintains a constant temperature of -30°F (c. -34.4°C) by pumping a refrigerant through a compressor to remove heat from its steel surface.[6] Liquids, oil, and gels generally freeze in 30 to 90 seconds. The finished product has a crunchy outer texture while the inside remains soft or creamy.

East Coast Hustle

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

LMNO

Had to believe it, but I actually learned something by watching Chopped.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: rong on January 22, 2014, 03:20:00 PM
I prefer night shift too.  If only it weren't at night ...

In my defense - I didn't say it was a *good* money idea.  I didn't say it was an *interesting* money idea. 

But it was an idea I had that caused me to have a bunch of thoughts.  Thoughts that caused me to reexamine my understanding of our money system.

I was under the impression that thinking is a PD approved activity, so I thought I would share the idea.

Share whatever you want. Thinking is good. However, if you share an idea that is either not very good or very poorly thought out, it is probably quite reasonable to expect that people will tear it apart, and possibly speculate on what mental state might have caused you to post something so poorly thought out.

I'm glad you had some thoughts, but right now you seem to be getting defensive because you essentially came up with the idea of debt as currency, and people pointed that out.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Wouldn't an anti-oven be called a "refrigerator"?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

I'll admit, I'm intrigued by this anti-fried food.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The anti-griddle sounds pretty cool.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on January 22, 2014, 06:21:16 PM
The anti-griddle sounds pretty cool.

:lulz: I see what you did there.

They're about $1200, but apparently you can make a make-shift one with stainless steel and dry ice:

http://www.molecularrecipes.com/techniques/anti-griddle-home/
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Junkenstein

This thread now confuses and angers me. All I know is some fucker owes me money now.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: V3X on January 21, 2014, 12:05:23 AM
Of course, you could take my paranoid uncle's position that all legal tender is, in fact, a measurement of debt (as every bill is effectively an IOU from the government -- gold standard or not). We buy and sell goods and services with this debt, and we all accept it and expect each other to accept it based on our mutual agreement that the government can, ultimately, back up this debt.

So, your $35 CD player is a physical item with inherent positive value. You have obtained it in return for giving the store a negative currency amounting to $-35. The store accepted this "debt" because it has faith that it will be able to pass this "debt" on to its vendors or its employees, in return for their goods or services which will offset the value of the CD player they just gave you (and so on). Ultimately, if you hoard currency, you are owed the value of that currency/debt by the government which is why bankers have billions, and We the God Damn People had to bail them out. We never made that deal, it was written into the conspiracy we call a financial system from the very beginning, and now Obama won't even let me buy incandescent light bulbs.

Sorry, where were we?
I like this. It points out something that we sometimes seem to forget: Money is not an object or a score. It is a relation, an interaction even if it is only potentially so.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Resigned Obligatorily

Quote from: rong on January 20, 2014, 01:36:19 PM
Hi everybody.  On my way home from midnight shift I had a strange money idea. 

Wouldn't it be handy if there were notes or coins with negative value?

That way, if you wanted to buy something that was $4, but you didn't have 4 $1's and the seller didn't have any $1's, you could pay with a $5 bill and a -$1 bill.

Stores that accumulated lots of "negative" money could sell things by allowing the buyer to - instead of paying in positive cash - take on the negative cash in the amount of the value of the item.  i.e. I'll take this $35 CD player and 35 -$1 bills.

In some ways, it's a lot like going into debt.

I don't see a way, however, to resolve the problem of people just collecting massive amounts of negative bills.

anyhow - weird idea - thought i'd share.

This would work if we all had digital currency.
(Putting on a right wing extremist hat.)
It could be a titanium cased RFID chip surgically attached around the chest artery.

Maybe by then, interest on loans (or at least compounding interest)
would be illegal because of the leaching effect it has on currency value.
(Taking hat off)

Cool idea! It would be a desirable alternative to loans!

Who am I?
I am a nobody,
and the odds are
that you are too.

If you say its a bad idea
to listen to a nobody;
you likely are also saying nobody,
should listen to you.

Do not trust the authorities on a subject;
simply because they are the authority.

Listen to them only if what they say is truth.

~O.R.

Cain

Negative inflation currencies can be useful in certain economic situations, where one wants to stimulate spending and punish hoarding...but this isn't exactly the same thing.