News:

I know you said that you wouldn't tolerate excuses, but I have a real good one.

Main Menu

Diaspora

Started by Cramulus, December 21, 2010, 12:35:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

This looks interesting, now that it's up and running.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: BDS on December 22, 2010, 02:41:54 PM
'94.

For some reason that's freaking me out. My daughter was born in '98.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'm still fucking pissed that I gave them money and never received a CD in the mail nor an email invite.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I did sign up to receive a physical CD, because I figured I'd be more likely to see that than an email. But I also searched my emails and my junk folder and unless they titled it something that had no reference to Diaspora and sent it from an email address with no reference to Diaspora, I didn't get one.

Fucking irresponsible college kids. I have no confidence this will be any better than Facebook in the long run, if they can't even stay on top of notifying the people who actually gave them money.

bds

Quote from: Nigel on December 22, 2010, 07:53:41 PM
Quote from: BDS on December 22, 2010, 02:41:54 PM
'94.

For some reason that's freaking me out. My daughter was born in '98.

Ze young'uns!  Zey are everyver!

bds

Also, it's possible they're waiting to get into Beta before sending all the stuff out to the mailing list. It's very much a barebones Alpha right now, almost looks like they just rolled it out to test the scaling and such on the codebase.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: BDS on December 22, 2010, 08:09:51 PM
Also, it's possible they're waiting to get into Beta before sending all the stuff out to the mailing list. It's very much a barebones Alpha right now, almost looks like they just rolled it out to test the scaling and such on the codebase.

Sure it's possible. It's just NOT WHAT THEY PROMISED.

Triple Zero

Anyone got an invite? tripzilch at gmail dot com.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Juana

Gotcha. Invite is incoming.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Phox

So, I'm debating. Is it worth it? I mean, I've never been a big fan of these types of sites. But, I think this one actually has potential from what I've heard about itl, but since I haven't actually seen it, I don't know. So could one of you let me know if it seems to be living up to the hype?

Brotep

I'd like to give it a go.

update: thanks, hov

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Fuck Diaspora. What a bunch of asspipes.

Faust

I logged in once and forgot about it, will have to snoop around some more but it seemed pretty basic back then.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Triple Zero

I just want to try it out.

I was on a Dutch social network, and I gotta say, the concept of social networks has a lot of real advantages. Among other things, keeping contact with friends you normally don't speak that often, but in a sort of non-committal way (cause otherwise you'd speak them more often).

And I dunno a bunch of other stuff, it's just nice.

But Facebook just freaks me the fuck out. Especially cause within moments I'll have all my local friends, and family, and you Discordian guys and who knows who else on my friends list, and frankly I don't really want to give that data to the NSA just like that.
Also, the privacy settings, Facebook seems to be purposefully designed to make as much of your private data as public as possible, especially via tricking and giving incentive for people to do it voluntarily. I think I even read some interviews where some Facebook strategic marking officer said this is exactly their vision or goal or something. The point is, it can be a lot less, that Dutch network was great fun and the privacy settings were simple and straight forward, erring on the side of caution. Currently that network is going the Facebook way.

I can go on, but I don't even use Facebook. My point is, I like the concept of social networks, but loathe Facebook's fucked up way of implementing it.

So I kind of want Diaspora (or similar projects) to work and to succeed. Guess the best way to do that is to check them out.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Juana

I suspect they'll send you your invite, Nigel, when it's not in alpha anymore. Alpha's getting better, but still very bare bones.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."