News:

Endorsement: "I would highly suggest that you steer clear of this website at all costs and disconnect yourself from all affiliation with those involved."

Main Menu

Font Request for Help

Started by the other anonymous, July 15, 2005, 06:35:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the other anonymous

I've been working on a font lately and it would seem that I've run out of ideas for new glyphs.

So, to inspire the vast Discordian Artisticly Disordered Army to action, I present some sample renderings.

Post anything you want included in the font as long as I can legally slap a (K) copyleft on it. Black-and-white only. (It's a font, y'know.)

(And yes, some of these are based on the works of others. The final product will have complete credits included.)

(Synaptyx: I've already included alot of your work so you may now consider it Time For Something Completely Different(TM), such as, y'know, sigilizing everything and everyone in the Principia.)

I would appreciate a really good Dobbs head, and obscure symbols not found in other fonts.

[edit: I'd appreciate EPS sources instead of renderings since the font will be a Postscript Type1.]

Rev. St. Syn, KSC (Ret.)

Fantastic. I love your apple and ankh, far nicer than the ones I put together. :) How about Nurbldoff's original Eris (you can't have too many Erises). ;)

I'm pretty sure I have a Dobbs head around here somewheres.
Synaptyclypse Generator Publishing Sect, POEE International Resource Center

Rev. St. Syn, KSC (Ret.)

I have the original .EPS if you want that, or I can do you a high rez jpg/png/whatever.

Rev. St. Syn, KSC (Ret.)

A couple of observasions, if I may be so bold:

While:

=Classy.

There are a couple of things that don't seem right.

In my version of the PD there appear to be five circles in the triangles, they're pretty hard to make out, but I'm sure they're there.

Also, the corner peices in the inner pentagon appear to be either square, or smaller pentagon, not sure which.

I can't confirm as I don't have a PD to hand, but I'll check the 1991 IllumniNet PD when I get home tonight. It seems to be better quality than the Loompanics edition.

Rev. St. Syn, KSC (Ret.)

Quote from: the other anonymous(Synaptyx: I've already included alot of your work so you may now consider it Time For Something Completely Different(TM), such as, y'know, sigilizing everything and everyone in the Principia.)
Heh! ;) I don't feel I know enough about symbology. In fact I don't know anything about symbology. :lol: The two I produced - Greyface and Eris - were happy accidents. ;)

Rev. St. Syn, KSC (Ret.)

NOTE: the figure was stolen - I cannot draw. She was begging for an apple though.

agent compassion

Mmm. Tasty.

Needs Scrid, though.

'I'll take you out for a meal with Mr. and Mrs. Pain, order up some violent quiche. Do you want some?' - ++++++ Moon

Shibboleet The Annihilator

I like this one!

I'll see if I can make anything worth contributing later when I've got some time, I'm kind of under the gun right now.

Drunken Monkey Cabal

Quote from: the other anonymous

could use it as some kind of biohazrd warning as in warning eristic materials contained. stick that on containers would be a good mindfuck and pretty too

Shibboleet The Annihilator

So for a recap to an idiot (the idiot being me) you make these images by taking an image, making it black and white, and then making pixels black or white instead of shades of grey? (assuming you didn't make them from scratch)

the other anonymous

Quote from: synaptyxA couple of observasions, if I may be so bold:

While:

=Classy.

There are a couple of things that don't seem right.

And you may be right about all of them. I was working off of a very bad scan of the Principia and guessed at alot of stuff. I know for sure I'm missing circles. I'll try to revise it if someone posts a better scan.

the other anonymous

Quote from: synaptyxNOTE: the figure was stolen - I cannot draw. She was begging for an apple though.

Oh, this I love! Is there an EPS version of it? Please?

the other anonymous

Quote from: DiLcould use it as some kind of biohazrd warning as in warning eristic materials contained. stick that on containers would be a good mindfuck and pretty too

Psychohazard. (I also have a glyph for Memetically Active.)

http://jubal.westnet.com/hyperdiscordia/

the other anonymous

Quote from: FnordiscordiaSo for a recap to an idiot (the idiot being me) you make these images by taking an image, making it black and white, and then making pixels black or white instead of shades of grey? (assuming you didn't make them from scratch)

Some were made from scratch in Postscript (mostly the pentagon-shaped stuff with multiple axes of symmetry). The rest were made how you described, with one small addition:

http://potrace.sourceforge.net/

And I'd appreciate the EPS a bit more than a rendering. (I always forget to mention that.)

the other anonymous

Quote from: synaptyxFantastic. I love your apple and ankh, far nicer than the ones I put together. :) How about Nurbldoff's original Eris (you can't have too many Erises). ;)

I'm working on it. The problem with fonts is that they can't be too complex. Nurbldoff's first Eris has a ton of path segments. What I'm trying to do is re-trace it and smooth out all of the curves so that it takes fewer beziers to trace the full image.