News:

Testimonial: "Yeah, wasn't expecting it. Near shat myself."

Main Menu

Female Spider-Woman Cover: "I don't even" arguments edition

Started by The Johnny, September 15, 2014, 06:55:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben Shapiro

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 19, 2014, 06:24:48 PM
Quote from: Chelagoras The Lust-Driven Dickwolf on September 19, 2014, 06:22:55 PM
well yea, but she-Hulks thing isn't crawling up buildings in a spider-like manner. One of her things however, was jump roping naked for an entire issue once.

Pop quiz, hotshot: Is this sexualizing or objectifying?

It's objectifying to all the green gamma-rayed women in the world.

Just kidding it's neither, but then again this isn't TUMBLR.

The Johnny

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 19, 2014, 06:24:48 PM
Quote from: Chelagoras The Lust-Driven Dickwolf on September 19, 2014, 06:22:55 PM
well yea, but she-Hulks thing isn't crawling up buildings in a spider-like manner. One of her things however, was jump roping naked for an entire issue once.

Pop quiz, hotshot: Is this sexualizing or objectifying?

ITS BOTH, YOU CISHET OPPRESSOR!
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

xXRon_Paul_42016Xxx(weed)

Quote from: Faust on September 17, 2014, 08:03:21 AM
Quote from: xXRon_Paul_42016Xxx(weed) on September 16, 2014, 10:23:07 PM
Quote from: Chelagoras The Lust-Driven Dickwolf on September 15, 2014, 11:35:38 PM
i had been avoiding this story in the news, mainly because i honestly didn't see what the problem with it was. I feel like the video makes a few good points, yet towards the end the nerdrage shorts out his frontal lobe and he starts hammering his points like a caveman. Towards the end he charges right past the fact that sexualizing woman is OFTEN used to dehumanize women,

How do you tell the difference though?

And really, this hits on the big thing. The problem isnt sexualization, its the dehumanizing, the objectifying. People like to go after the former because its easy to spot and thanks to our puritan heritage lots of people have a knee-jerk discomfort with it which of course, is completely in the interest of progressiveness and freedom ect when they do it. The later is a lot harder to talk about, a lot harder to condense into 140 characters or memes, and worst of all most people just simply dont care.

You're right, it is the objectification and not the sexualisation that is the issue.

For instance if Milo had written the book as well she would probably fuck her way across new york and no one would bat an eyelid.

But using his cover for what is otherwise supposed to be a superhero comic is using that sexual imagery to sell the story which is unfair to the character.

There is always the argument that marvel never considered it, Milo is a brilliant artist and comic companies often celebrate the work of famous artists these variant covers and that's all it was. However even if this is the case they probably shouldn't be so negligent when they are very much in the spotlight for their lack of female creators, (they have one or two, which is better than none so things are improving).

Why is lack of Female creators a bad thing?

Trivial

Quote from: xXRon_Paul_42016Xxx(weed) on September 19, 2014, 10:54:23 PM
Quote from: Chelagoras The Lust-Driven Dickwolf on September 15, 2014, 11:35:38 PM
i had been avoiding this story in the news, mainly because i honestly didn't see what the problem with it was. I feel like the video makes a few good points, yet towards the end the nerdrage shorts out his frontal lobe and he starts hammering his points like a caveman. Towards the end he charges right past the fact that sexualizing woman is OFTEN used to dehumanize women,

And really, this hits on the big thing. The problem isnt sexualization, its the dehumanizing, the objectifying. People like to go after the former because its easy to spot and thanks to our puritan heritage lots of people have a knee-jerk discomfort with it which of course, is completely in the interest of progressiveness and freedom ect when they do it. The later is a lot harder to talk about, a lot harder to condense into 140 characters or memes, and worst of all most people just simply dont care.

You're right, it is the objectification and not the sexualisation that is the issue.

For instance if Milo had written the book as well she would probably fuck her way across new york and no one would bat an eyelid.

But using his cover for what is otherwise supposed to be a superhero comic is using that sexual imagery to sell the story which is unfair to the character.

There is always the argument that marvel never considered it, Milo is a brilliant artist and comic companies often celebrate the work of famous artists these variant covers and that's all it was. However even if this is the case they probably shouldn't be so negligent when they are very much in the spotlight for their lack of female creators, (they have one or two, which is better than none so things are improving).

Well, for one they can point out that women turn their necks over their shoulder when looking behind them and do not swivel their waist.
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

Faust

Because comic book readers gender is split pretty much 50-50, though the female creators only account for an a tiny set of the creators.
In theory this shouldn't be an issue, a skilled male creator should be able to cater to a male and female audience (and some do). In practice, you get a majority of comics who's target audience is young men.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

xXRon_Paul_42016Xxx(weed)

Quote from: Faust on September 20, 2014, 09:21:43 AM

Because comic book readers gender is split pretty much 50-50, though the female creators only account for an a tiny set of the creators.
In theory this shouldn't be an issue, a skilled male creator should be able to cater to a male and female audience (and some do). In practice, you get a majority of comics who's target audience is young men.

Which its female readers apparently have no problems buying.

Faust

Quote from: xXRon_Paul_42016Xxx(weed) on September 20, 2014, 09:30:20 AM
Quote from: Faust on September 20, 2014, 09:21:43 AM

Which its female readers apparently have no problems buying.
You hear a lot of complaints, but yes I suppose you are right, if they are buying them, they are supporting that, although conversely if they vote with their wallets, then people can argue women dont read comics.

Also the problem of proportional representation is a secondary trivial one compared to the fact that superhero comics are almost entirely stagnant stale stories. The few that have found ways to explore interesting new things tend to do so though science fiction where the superhero part plays an insignificant role.

Chelagoras The Boulder

Plus, Male creators tend to have more problems accurately portraying female characters than women do. It has to do with both genders having different life experiences than one another. I for one would like to see more female creators in not only comics but tv and film, not just because it'd be more progressive, but also because it'd be nice to hear new stories from a perspective i wouldn't otherwise have.   You can only hear so many stories about how the White Male Christian hero saved the day and then got his knob off before you start looking for another narrative.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Q. G. Pennyworth

More female creators, and more women on the editorial staff, means less of these idiot things will get through the entire publishing process without someone going "WTF? GO HOME AND TRY AGAIN."

Chelagoras The Boulder

though, can someone answer the question of how someone, male or female, could do the Spiderman "i'm climing a wall while pantomiming a spider" pose WITHOUT looking like they're sticking their ass in the air?
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Chelagoras The Lust-Driven Dickwolf on September 20, 2014, 11:17:57 PM
though, can someone answer the question of how someone, male or female, could do the Spiderman "i'm climing a wall while pantomiming a spider" pose WITHOUT looking like they're sticking their ass in the air?

There's going to be some ass in the air, that's not the problem. There have been a lot of redraws of that cover that show how it could have been done and not look like she's presenting herself and also made of broken bones and bubblegum.

tyrannosaurus vex

But almost all superheroes, in every comic, in every pose, of every gender, are almost always depicted with unreasonably exaggerated emphasis on their sexy bits, and their bodies in general are drawn as oversexualized caricatures that would never work as real human beings. I thought that was part of the genre. People act like this spiderwoman pose is the first time a comic book has suggested that sex is a human interest (god forbid).
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: V3X on September 21, 2014, 01:34:47 AM
But almost all superheroes, in every comic, in every pose, of every gender, are almost always depicted with unreasonably exaggerated emphasis on their sexy bits, and their bodies in general are drawn as oversexualized caricatures that would never work as real human beings. I thought that was part of the genre. People act like this spiderwoman pose is the first time a comic book has suggested that sex is a human interest (god forbid).

It's been a problem FOREVER. People have been complaining FOREVER. The reason people are mad is because Marvel keeps saying "no guys, I'm sorry, this time I get it" and then they FUCKING DO THE SAME THING OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

and I know nobody likes tumblr but hxxp://eschergirls.tumblr.com/ does a really good job of showing why it's a pervasive issue that should get yelled at until it goes away.

Faust

Quote from: Chelagoras The Lust-Driven Dickwolf on September 20, 2014, 11:17:57 PM

Th problem isn't the ass in the air. Milo Mirana does ass in the air well. It's that they used an erotica artist to draw the cover on an issue that is otherwise not erotica. For sales.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

There's nothing quite like people who don't have a problem telling people with a problem that they don't see the problem. :lol:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."