News:

PD.com: Living proof that just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Main Menu

A few thoughts on branding.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, April 15, 2016, 01:50:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

What's killing me about this election is that it is 100% about brand.  Not parties, but rather the brand of the candidates themselves.  This is pretty obvious when one of the surviving five candidates is known to his followers as "Bernie", and Donald Trump is considered a serious contender.

Not only that, but candidates are so driven by their brand that they have to insult the people on their own side of the aisle, rather than courting the middle.  I have been told by Hillary Clinton that I am naive.  I have been told by Hillary Clinton's followers that I am a misogynist, a racist, and basically just as rotten as a Rand Paul voter.  And I'm a lefty.

Granted, Sander's partisans haven't exactly been a model of civility, either, which leaves everyone on the left in the painful position of not being able to point at Trump and Cruz and laugh, without being hypocrites. 

But we'll do that anyway, because that's what brands are for.  You can ignore these little inconsistencies, because fuck if you'll be reasonable in front of your friends, right?

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Pergamos

I think Obama won on brand.  He was cool and he was very good at being something to everyone. 

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Pergamos on April 15, 2016, 01:55:11 AM
I think Obama won on brand.  He was cool and he was very good at being something to everyone.

It's very unfortunate that he can't run again.  But he can't, so it's up to us to chop holes in the bottom of the lifeboat.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

LMNO

It may be more obvious this time around, but wasn't this job always about brand?

Pergamos

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 15, 2016, 02:00:49 AM
Quote from: Pergamos on April 15, 2016, 01:55:11 AM

It's very unfortunate that he can't run again.  But he can't, so it's up to us to chop holes in the bottom of the lifeboat.

I'd prefer Sanders to Obama, and I don't think Clinton is any worse than him.  He's a moderate establishment democrat, she's not as charismatic but her positions are pretty much the same.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on April 15, 2016, 04:12:22 AM
It may be more obvious this time around, but wasn't this job always about brand?

During our lifetimes, it was always about party brand.  That isn't good enough for people anymore.

And you'd think - off all people - WE would have maybe figured out some way of defending ourselves against that sort of thing.

Naaaaw.   :lulz:

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 15, 2016, 01:50:01 AM
Granted, Sander's partisans haven't exactly been a model of civility, either, which leaves everyone on the left in the painful position of not being able to point at Trump and Cruz and laugh, without being hypocrites. 

At least Sanders' and Clinton's most worthwhile accomplishment isn't being a washed-up reality TV personality
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on May 30, 2016, 02:36:09 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 15, 2016, 01:50:01 AM

At least Sanders' and Clinton's most worthwhile accomplishment isn't being a washed-up reality TV personality

Shut the fuck up until you can understand the subtext, freak.