News:

In my heart I knew that rotten testicles and inflamed penises were on the way.

Main Menu

Actual PD essay: Wherefore the Popes?

Started by LMNO, March 17, 2008, 12:33:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

This was originally written for TCC, but due to the strike, I'll post it here.  Yes, it deals with the POEE and the Original PD.  You don't like it, don't read it.

As some of you may know, one of the things the POEE (Paratheo-Anametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric) came up with was the True and Holy Fact that every man, woman and child is a pope ("so please treat them right").

Some people wonder what's up with that.  Well, I'll tell you what that means to me.*

1.  It pisses off the Catholics (not that hard, but fun anyway).
2.  It causes mild confusion in cabbages that can't get their head around the idea of multiple, non-Catholic popes.
3.  It is a fairly precise and concise slice of what it means to be Discordian. 

Perhaps I should expand/expound on that third one.  To wit: The Christian Catholic Path teaches that Jesus gave unto Peter the earthly access of heaven's kingdom (Matt.16:18-19: "And I also say to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of the netherworld will not prevail against it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven."). 

Stemming from this tradition, the Pope has become the singular conduit of God's will on earth, having final say on moral, ethical, and spiritual matters.  Their will in such matters is not to be denied.

Well, Discordians aren't down with that.  They are typically skeptical of any dogmatic authority (or, for that matter, any authority assumed rather than requested).  To a Discordian, the self is the final arbiter of moral, ethical, and spiritual behavior.  It would simply not do to have some old guy in a funny hat ordering me not to have fun, "just because".  I, Myself, am the key to Heaven, and the Gate; I am the Jailor; I am the Prisoner; and I am Free.

But you see, this applies to everyone.  My papal edicts do not affect you, if you so choose, because you are the Pope, as well.  Of course, you all know what happens when two popes disagree: SCHISM!  And in that chasm awaits the One True Goddess, Eris.

And there's nothing better than looking into the Eris' Crack.

*It should be pointed out that, of course, I speak for myself, the One True Pope of the First Church of Last Exit Before Toll.  Other popes can damn well speak for themselves, if they so choose.

Verbal Mike

Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Cramulus

Cain

Concise and to the point.  I like.

Have you considered throwing it up on the blog?

barumunk

"For it is with the mysteries of our religion, as with wholesome pills for the sick, which swallowed whole, have the virtue to cure; but chewed, are for the most part cast up again without effect." Thomas Hobbes

I was always taught to chew everything before i swallow.

LMNO

Consider it Blagged.

Wait a sec.  How to I post/login?

Cain

There should be a login link under the Meta, on the right hand sidebar.

LMNO

Vene

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Jenne

Bravo.  Me likey--is it kopyleft?  I need something like this for explaining this shit, as I've begun to do here and there.

Agrippa

Good post. I am however not a pope. I am the true heïr of emperor Norton.
But his son killed him before Norton had a chance to announce it.

AFK

Quote from: Agrippa on March 17, 2008, 06:58:28 PM

Receding heir-line, ITT
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

LMNO

Quote from: Jenne on March 17, 2008, 06:44:24 PM
Bravo.  Me likey--is it kopyleft?  I need something like this for explaining this shit, as I've begun to do here and there.

Yup, kopyleft.  Credit would be nice, though.

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on March 17, 2008, 06:59:54 PM
Quote from: Agrippa on March 17, 2008, 06:58:28 PM

Receding heir-line, ITT

Wow.