News:

The only BEARFORCE1 slashfic forum on the Internet.  Fortunately.

Main Menu

What if people just don't care?

Started by Chaorem, November 21, 2012, 02:00:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chaorem

I've tried having a conversations about the state of the world and society with the average person. And I always get "I don't care". I've been screaming at the top of my lungs since I was 9 that everything is wrong, but nobody ever listened... or maybe they couldn't hear? It's not like this stuff is being kept invisible. It's on the news, and a lot of movies stuff some truth in them in ways that you don't have to be terribly smart to pick up on it. So are people not paying attention - or perhaps they are blind? A billion people cry out for salvation but never see it come, are they not crying loud enough? Or have they been mute all along?

No. It's not that complicated. We are not handing out propaganda to the deaf, blind, and mute. The sick truth is that people simply don't care anymore. They don't care if they get hit by a bus, if the world crumbles to pieces, or if we nuke ourselves to death.

Tonight I will show the Black Iron Prison to some co-workers. I predict they will read it, they will understand it, and for as long as it's in their hands they will agree with it. But tomorrow they will wake up and be back to not giving a shit. I've been doing this a long time and I was hoping that this Principia Discordia would shed new light. Maybe I missed it, maybe it's that Irish Belgian fuck that runs the website who couldn't put in a search function. Either way, I will keep digging around.

I have an oddball saying though and it has proved affective from time to time. Perhaps I will put it to the test on this matter.

"I solve most my problems after I have given up on them."

AFK

People are by and large very selfish while also being very suspicious and untrusting.  They want to do what they think they need to do to protect their little slice of the pie and fuck if anyone else gets to have some.  Even though the truth is that everyone benefits from a world with less strife, less poverty, less Machine, there is not enou perceived incentive on anindividual level to stick one's neck out and lead the charge.  "Well, maybe that guy will get up and do something, so I don't have to."

I hate to break it to you, but you aren't going to change much of the world with the BIP.  (this coming from one of the authors).  You aren't goong to change much of the world with the PD and Discordia.  Of course you should still try, stick your neck out, and so on.  But just realize what you are up against.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

East Coast Hustle

Also, FYI, it's not that we won't install a search function. It's that we uninstalled it because Dreamhost sucks and search queries have an unfortunate tendency to completely bork the site.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Nephew Twiddleton

Also- how do you present these things to them? Your approach may be off-putting.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Dildo Argentino

Quote from: Chaorem on November 21, 2012, 02:00:22 AM
I've tried having a conversations about the state of the world and society with the average person. And I always get "I don't care". I've been screaming at the top of my lungs since I was 9 that everything is wrong, but nobody ever listened... or maybe they couldn't hear? It's not like this stuff is being kept invisible. It's on the news, and a lot of movies stuff some truth in them in ways that you don't have to be terribly smart to pick up on it. So are people not paying attention - or perhaps they are blind? A billion people cry out for salvation but never see it come, are they not crying loud enough? Or have they been mute all along?

No. It's not that complicated. We are not handing out propaganda to the deaf, blind, and mute. The sick truth is that people simply don't care anymore. They don't care if they get hit by a bus, if the world crumbles to pieces, or if we nuke ourselves to death.

You do know that's just defeatist bollocks, don't you? In actual fact, the number of people who don't care about being hit by a bus is very small (suicidal tendencies of a particular kind, not actually common), most people also wouldn't like to see the world crumble to pieces, only the rich ones, with a vested interest in maintaining a status quo in which they are rich while others are poor feed them carefully designed and evolved propaganda
to keep the majority from realising that the world is in fact crumbling to pieces as we speak, and nuking ourselves to death is also not an attractive option to most people, only... perhaps you can figure it out.

Tonight I will show the Black Iron Prison to some co-workers.

Well you could do worse. You could also do better though. The BIP, while not without merit at all in terms of literary achievement, is far to alarmist and simply dark to be an effective tool of awakening. It so happens that in the human animal, "scared" and "thinking right" don't go well together.

I predict they will read it, they will understand it, and for as long as it's in their hands they will agree with it. But tomorrow they will wake up and be back to not giving a shit.

how certain are you about your prediction? Some might argue (with some merit, I add) that the book is a bunch of paranoid fantasies designed to make the reasonably well-adjusted despair of their situation... others may get the point and... stop being your colleagues very shortly. What is your hope with this action? What would it achieve if it worked as well as you can imagine it working?

I've been doing this a long time and I was hoping that this Principia Discordia would shed new light.

It's your life. Only you can shed light in it.

Maybe I missed it, maybe it's that Irish Belgian fuck that runs the website who couldn't put in a search function. Either way, I will keep digging around.

Actually, google, the Search Engine CompanyTM, provide a pretty nifty service. Just append "site:.principiadiscordia.com" to your query, and hey presto.

I have an oddball saying though and it has proved affective from time to time. Perhaps I will put it to the test on this matter.

Funny, an old Roma acquaintance of mine had a similar saying:

The great thing about problems is that they all get solved.
Not too keen on rigor, myself - reminds me of mortis

Nephew Twiddleton

Itt holist shows he either didnt read or didnt understand the bip.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

East Coast Hustle

Dear Chaorem: your thread appears to have been visited by one of our butthurt trolls masquerading as someone who actually has reading comprehension. For your own good, please ignore anything this guy says, anywhere, ever. And for the love of fuck, do NOT respond directly to him. You'll only encourage him.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Elder Iptuous

Chaorem,
can you think of some things that people have talked to you about, which they seemed to think were terribly important, but you simply did not care about?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Tonight I will show the Black Iron Prison to some co-workers. I predict they will read it, they will understand it, and for as long as it's in their hands they will agree with it. But tomorrow they will wake up and be back to not giving a shit. I've been doing this a long time and I was hoping that this Principia Discordia would shed new light. Maybe I missed it, maybe it's that Irish Belgian fuck that runs the website who couldn't put in a search function. Either way, I will keep digging around.

I think it might be all about where you are and who you're with, because most of the people I know are caring to death.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: holist on November 21, 2012, 12:52:13 PM
Well you could do worse. You could also do better though. The BIP, while not without merit at all in terms of literary achievement, is far to alarmist and simply dark to be an effective tool of awakening. It so happens that in the human animal, "scared" and "thinking right" don't go well together.

Once again, Holist shows his superior understanding of written English.   :lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.