News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "At least Satanists HAVE a worldview. After reading this thread, I'm convinced that discordians not only don't, but will actively mock anyone who does."

Main Menu

Never borrow the Emperor's clothes....

Started by Dysfunctional Cunt, June 15, 2011, 04:49:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dysfunctional Cunt

Hey look at me....  Yes you there doing your own thing, minding your own business...

LOOK. AT. ME. DAMMIT!!!

Because that is what it is, that attention whoring, drama llama bullshit.  The whining and the bitching and the everything is wrong with my life or even worse, the bragging as if the people around them are just too mundane to have anything good to talk about themselves.  And you know, it's ok, everyone needs to vent and everyone wants to share good news.

The problem arises when that is all that happens.  You vent and vent and vent some more, completely ignoring any advice that you might be given by people who have been in your situation and may G*A*S*P know a little something about fixing your fucking problem, or at least relieving a bit of your pain.  Or you brag and brag and just don't notice that people have pretty much started ignoring you because they are sick of it. 

So what is the need people have to continuously be the center of attention.  I used to think it was just crappy parenting.  I don't know anymore.  I think some people are just hardwired to believe that their personal lives are far more important to the people around them, more imprtant than say the people's actual lives.

My biggest issue with people like this is the typical..... "Oh lookie, this is what is happening to me....." and when they are given serious advice on how to correct the situation, congratulations or just a LOL, they completely ignore it.  Or they pick out one line of a paragraph of information and THAT is the only thing they have anything to comment on. 

The thing is, this happens everywhere.  We all have that person we work with who you just avoid.  The neighbor you drive past your own driveway to avoid.  The clerk at the grocery, the waitress at the local bar, online, offline, they are everywhere.  Then you have the person being the drama llama, they look around one day and realize they have driven off evry person they thought were their friend and then have the nerve to blame the friends instead of wondering maybe, just maybe if they had done something.

People just don't want the added drama. 

I find that very rarely does anyone have the heart, balls or maybe stupidity to tell this person.....  "You are a fucking drama whore and you need to shut the fuck up and listen instead of continuously bitching and/or moaning and/or bragging." 

Or maybe just a simple, "You know, that outfit looked nice on the Emperor when he wore it."

The Good Reverend Roger

I fail to see a problem, here.  I never mind when a conversation suddenly becomes all about one person's personal life, and I live for the status updates, as it saves me tramping over to Facebook or Twitter for these amazing and informative glimpses into the grotty details of other peoples' love lives, etc.

And that emperor was stylin'.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cuddlefish

Cheers, Khara.

I'm pretty sure this all started around the same time people started doing that "you are special! You can do/be anything you want!" subjective reality bull-shit, where "you are entitled to your own opinion" gets translated into "because you have the right to one, your opinion is valid." All this leads to "rampant individualism," I like to call it. I mean, there is NO problem in finding and defining your unique view of "self," but, if the fact that you're part of a population doesn't get included in your definition of self, you end up like the people you are talking about, or worse. Just my two cents.

But, then again.

Dimo - what the hell do I know, anyway.
A fisher of men, or a manner of fish?

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Cuddleshift on June 15, 2011, 05:39:02 PM
Cheers, Khara.

I'm pretty sure this all started around the same time people started doing that "you are special! You can do/be anything you want!" subjective reality bull-shit, where "you are entitled to your own opinion" gets translated into "because you have the right to one, your opinion is valid." All this leads to "rampant individualism," I like to call it. I mean, there is NO problem in finding and defining your unique view of "self," but, if the fact that you're part of a population doesn't get included in your definition of self, you end up like the people you are talking about, or worse. Just my two cents.

But, then again.

Dimo - what the hell do I know, anyway.

Ummmmm........  I think I may need a translation.

LMNO

"You are not a unique snowflake, your life is not special, your opinion is not valid, stop telling me about it."

The Good Reverend Roger

What did people do before the internet came along?  I can't remember.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

LMNO

Chatlines over the rotary telephone.

Before that, Malls.

Before that, gossiping on the front porch.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on June 15, 2011, 06:04:16 PM
Chatlines over the rotary telephone.

Before that, Malls.

Before that, gossiping on the front porch.

Now I remember why I was a hermit until 1994.

Eve

Drama whores aren't looking for advice. It would kill the reason for drama whoring. I think a bigger issue than having your advice go ignored by a drama llama is assuming that the person wants advice in the first place. As you said, a lot of it involves ranting and whining just to get it out. I'm sure parenting skills can be called into question, but I think there are other factors (personality, self-esteem, environment, etc).
Emotionally crippled narcissist.

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Eve on June 15, 2011, 07:28:30 PM
Drama whores aren't looking for advice. It would kill the reason for drama whoring. I think a bigger issue than having your advice go ignored by a drama llama is assuming that the person wants advice in the first place. As you said, a lot of it involves ranting and whining just to get it out. I'm sure parenting skills can be called into question, but I think there are other factors (personality, self-esteem, environment, etc).

I agree. 

I actually didn't write this because I was butthurt or anything, it's been festering in my brain while I've been taking a PD break from posting....

I have more, this one just popped out today.   :oops:

Eve

Oh that wasn't criticism; just sharin' my thoughts. I originally had a few notebook pages' worth of a long-winded response before I realized I had veered far, far away from your OP (and into the land of sequins, coworkers who spend $400 on clothes, and Richter's Weapon X).
Emotionally crippled narcissist.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

This made me think of my fucking housemate.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

ThatGreenGentleman

I actually enjoy watching people going batshit over drama, as long as it's in moderation (mainly because I find it hilarious and entertaining).  :lol: Otherwise if it's constant it just becomes boring.
As a gentleman, it is my duty to wear top-hats.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: ThatGreenGentleman on June 17, 2011, 12:39:59 AM
I actually enjoy watching people going batshit over drama, as long as it's in moderation (mainly because I find it hilarious and entertaining).  :lol: Otherwise if it's constant it just becomes boring.

Yeah, and the people who live in CONSTANT drama never seem to get that. Especially when it's the SAME FUCKING DRAMA it was last week. And the week before.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."